Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Do I Need an E-Bow?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

Back in the 90s I built myself a sustainer - it was just using little coils ripped out of Tandy single earphones that were available at the time. Each coil had a little chip amp (LM386 or something).  The coils were taped under each string, past the end of the fretboard.

In theory it would work for chords, though I only ever built 2 channels before giving up and ripping it to bits. (Reliability wise, it was a half baked pile of crap...)

I've thought of getting an E-bow occasionally, but I don't think I could be bothered with having to hold the thing. The idea's fine, but I'd much rather have some sort of sustainiac thing myself...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25563
    Use 2 at once.

Here is Michael Manring using them on the 2 outer strings.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• I bought a second-hand ebow (about £50, I think) about 15 years ago and it's been one of my best ever purchases. They do take a bit of practice to get the hang of - there is a fair amount of 'technique' to learn in order to control the feisty nature of the resonant sound they create - but there's nothing quite like them for ambient excursions (especially combined with a looper).

I used mine extensively on the last FretBoard Composition Challenge, 'Guitar Soundscapes'
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1287330/#Comment_1287330

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/steamabacus-elohim?in=thefretboard/sets/fretboard-challenge-15
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6290
    Use 2 at once.

Here is Michael Manring using them on the 2 outer strings.

I love this vid. Its just amazing it really is, and it makes me feel massively crap at playing!!!
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    I've just seen PGS Andy demoing that Freqout pedal.
    Looks like a far more usable solution for infinite sustain.

And before you ask, I am not Andy of PGS fame, unfortunately.
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    your blue peter make for the weekend.

hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    I always wondered how the Ebow could "know" what note you're playing when it all it did was was excite the string electromechanically... After some background reading, I see there's a pickup coil, an amplifier and an excitation coil. Ah, right.

Still, the harmonic mode is very clever, it's something to do with phase or polarity which I haven't worked out yet. Might be something like the octave-up fuzzes which use a transformer to duplicate the signal and cheat the ear to think it's at double the frequency.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2844
    edited February 2017
    e-bow on bass, a-bow on guitar Very adventurous use of ebow from about 7mins in
  • Had time to give it a good go today, I can get tons of sustain out of the Bogner Blue with the Keeley 4 knob Comp on. Neck pick up selected "Toanz for Days" ;)

Might pick up an e bow in future when I have more spends.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmann said:
    Sporky said:
    Sassafras said:
    Damn, that's made me want to get an ebow.
    I can finally bin the kazoo.
    How are you going to do Final Countdown without a kazoo?
    The best way.

Silently.
    What about crosstown traffic then?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ