Tokai Stratocaster - any Tokai experts here (pics now added)?

What's Hot
VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
edited February 2017 in Guitar
I have a good friend of mine that has a Tokai Strat for sale (I think is an an ST 'Springy Sound') but I don't know much more about it yet, although I've played it and its quite a nice guitar.  He's since bought himself a Fender Stratocaster Deluxe and it's now superflous to requirements.  He's trying to find a realistic sale price for it (his initial thinking is £650-750) and I've suggested he send me details of the serial number and year with some good all round pics to post.

I'm not particularly knowledgeable on Tokai Strats so just wanted to see if we had any experts here?  Also of course if anyone might be interested in buying it.  
I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    There are a number of variations of a Springy Sound, a ST50, 60 and 80, with increasingly better specs, i.e. number of pieces body is made from, pickups, poly or nitro finish, if it's in great nick I'd say ST50 - £500, 60 £600, 80 £900+  Sometimes there will be a little sticker on the back of the neck with 50,60,80, but more often than not it's a case of looking over them to ascertain the model number. All made between 1978 and 1983 after which they changed the name to Goldstar, but it's basically the same guitar
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    Thanks @John_A that's very helpful.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    at this stage a pic of the headstock will be handy - they changed many aspects of the headstock , logo and model info on the headstock facia and many of such detail can help pin point the model/age - serial number can help and often a oblong sticker nearer the neck join that might have model on it - then we can take it from there
    edited February 2017
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    My considered opinion is that it's an ST50.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2017 tFB Trader
    yes a TST50 - probably most popular model - yours has the Tokai block logo, as against a script logo, so looks like a 1983 period - same guitar as a spag logo model, but spag logos tend to be more sought after - To me a realistic selling price is £500 - £600 is a bit of a fishing trip
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Every time I see how much old Tokais go for these days I think to myself 'I wish I'd kept mine in good nick'. But then I realise that it makes no difference as I wouldn't sell it anyway. It is that good. 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    yes a TST50 - probably most popular model - yours has the Tokai block logo, as against a script logo, so looks like a 1983 period - same guitar as a spag logo model, but spag logos tend to be more sought after - To me a realistic selling price is £500 - £600 is a bit of a fishing trip

I agree, £450-£500 would be the going rate
    I remember playing a natural finish one at Rose Morris in Shaftesbury Avenue (a friend of mine was working there - great keyboard player, he went on to play support keyboards on tour with 'Yes') - I think it was around 1978/79.  No idea of the model but it sounded and felt just like my '69 Strat.  Unbelievable quality for a 'copy' in those days (& even today) and was way better than the then current production Fender Strats. 
  • I had an 83/84 Tokai Strat (60's style) which I sold for about £320.00 about 12 years ago, which I accept with inflation is probably not now a realistic price. However, you could get a s/hand American Strat for £600, so I would think you would out of your frickin' mind to pay £650 for a Tokai. Anyone who would should contact me as I've got some special edition Snake Oil in the shed.

A realistic price is about £400.00 IMHO.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • That top E string looks mighty close to the edge of the fretboard....is the neck straight/no movement in pocket ?
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I think the Japanese simply bypassed the woefull '70s Fender 'sausage in an alley' three bolt design by going straight for a four bolt attachment.

;)
    @fendergibson don't know re top E, I'd need to play it again. 

@BigLicks67 I agree completely. Regardless of quality discussions, a USA Strat has the name and street cred, and I made that very same price point to my friend.  Nevertheless, there's a lot of respect for Tokai's and these have a healthy fan following. However in my view its the block lettering that impacts on value, as most folk will want the spaghetti logo. 
  • Richardj said:
    I think the Japanese simply bypassed the woefull '70s Fender 'sausage in an alley' three bolt design by going straight for a four bolt attachment.

;)
    The Tokai Silver Star models had the 3 bolt neck attachement (and big 70s headstock)
  • Richardj said:

;)
    The Tokai Silver Star models had the 3 bolt neck attachement (and big 70s headstock)
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    Looks very similar to mine :

I would say about £400 as that's what they tend to make on Ebay. Fantastic guitars with the sweetest pickups
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Danny1969 said:
    Looks very similar to mine :

I would say about £400 as that's what they tend to make on Ebay. Fantastic guitars with the sweetest pickups
    Yours look more like the 3rd Logo - First Tokai with Spaghetti logo had the T for Tokai more as an F - Then Block letter as per Voxman's, than yours with the T style script logo for Tokai - can't quite read yours if its is Goldstar or Spring Sound - probably 1984
    Here's mine. Originally Sherwood Green metallic, bought new in 1984

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    dogload said:
    Here's mine. Originally Sherwood Green metallic, bought new in 1984

that is seriously funky - who did it for you
    Thank you. I did it myself.