backup amp recommendations - budget is meh - between £100 and £200

nickpnickp Frets: 183
Ok I think I need a backup amp in case my main baby dies on me.  Playing rock covers in a fairly loud band cos of the drummer.  Got a 50w Engl combo and a 2 x 12 extension cab.  Either LP or Strat.  To get to the £200 I'd have to sell my Boss GT-8 (which won't be that much of a hardship).

any recommendations?  Because of the budget restrictions (I don't want to spend too much money coz it is going to sit in the understairs cupboard most of the time) I was thinking of either 

Vox valvetronix thingy 50w
marshall AVT/valvestate 100w
or stretch to a laney 212 valve combo (is it the AC30 212??)

clearly the laney is going to be the better buy but will probably be above budget at more like 250.

any other suggestions please
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• A Laney LC50 or VC50 might come in at budget if you're lucky.

But I can recommend a Peavey Bandit.  I use a silver stripe one, sounds good, reliable and cheap.  £100 would get you one.  2 channels, two types of gain on the lead channel, a mid scoop, footswitchable effects loop, presence control and takes pedals nicely.  

It won't sound as good as the Laney, but it'll be bulletproof and cheap.
  • If heads work, a marshall MOSFET Lead 100 is a great sounding head - regret not buying one I tried ages ago :(
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3350

Roland Cube 60 (even better if used with an extension cab - 8ohm). You can get these for £100-130 used. They have decent in-built fx with a good clean sound (Blackface model) and the Tweed, Marshall and Metal models offer good overdrive sounds (keep the gain between 12-2 o'clock).

Light, portable and loud

• nickpnickp Frets: 183
    @theprettydamned - what is the difference between the LC50 and VC50??

I'm having a look at the mofset lead 100's now - will work fine with the cab and a tranny head is tempting as it saves space and much lighter

although the laneys are tempting as they will expand my auditory palette (which is bollocks speak for sound different to the engl)
  • I wouldn't assume a Marshall mosfet is light... Maybe someone else can elaborate. But the bandit is a big ass 1x12 and weighs a fair bit.

The vc 50 is more modern voiced for lead and ac voiced ish for crunch and has... Er... 3 channels I think? Paul Gilbert used one on his spaceship live gig thing, if you want ballpark tones.

The lc50 is 70s-80s gain levels, 2 channels, bright switch... I had the lh50, which is the head version (also cheap - and fairly small). It was awesome for cleans, funk, rock and 80s metal with a boost in front. Loved it.

Listen to some YouTube demos and you'll work it out.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73074
    Peavey Bandit.

Marshall 8080 and VS100R Valvestates are OK (although can need a little work to make them really reliable), but avoid the AVTs and MG100DFX.

The MOSFET 100 is good but isn't that light (because it's built like a brick outhouse!), and you need the version with the Pull EQ switch if you're going to make full use of the dirty channel.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM;149245" said:
    Peavey Bandit.

Marshall 8080 and VS100R Valvestates are OK (although can need a little work to make them really reliable), but avoid the AVTs and MG100DFX.

The MOSFET 100 is good but isn't that light (because it's built like a brick outhouse!), and you need the version with the Pull EQ switch if you're going to make full use of the dirty channel.
    Haha why can't they make that amp again?! I remember thinking it was a valve amp when I tried it and was blown away!

I think the pull eq is on the head version called lead 100. Not sure if there are 2 versions of that. The one I tried did have it, and was pure jcm800 tones, but with cleans.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73074
    I think the pull eq is on the head version called lead 100. Not sure if there are 2 versions of that. The one I tried did have it, and was pure jcm800 tones, but with cleans.
    Yes, there are two versions - a medium-box and a small-box. The Pull EQ circuit only comes in the medium box, although I think there are also transition medium-box/no-Pull EQ ones. The small box is very neat but the lack of Pull EQ kills it really. And no, you can't just fit the pull switch - the whole circuit is quite different.

The Master Lead 75 combo is the same basic amp as the Pull EQ version in a 1x12" combo that originally came with a Celestion Sidewinder (although many get pinched and replaced with something cheaper).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6418
    ZT Lunchbox
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1831
    I have a Line 6 Flextone with the 4 button footswitch that I'm thinking of moving on...pm me if its of any interest mate, will be well within your budget..
    @welshboyo - thanks for the offer but I've tried line 6 stuff and it is too complicated for me - my nipper has one of the line 6 amps.

cheers

Nick
    trying to buy a marshall mofset head with push pull eq as we speak

tiz in london and seller doesn't want to courier :(
  • ICBM;149300" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:I think the pull eq is on the head version called lead 100. Not sure if there are 2 versions of that. The one I tried did have it, and was pure jcm800 tones, but with cleans.

Yes, there are two versions - a medium-box and a small-box. The Pull EQ circuit only comes in the medium box, although I think there are also transition medium-box/no-Pull EQ ones. The small box is very neat but the lack of Pull EQ kills it really. And no, you can't just fit the pull switch - the whole circuit is quite different.

The Master Lead 75 combo is the same basic amp as the Pull EQ version in a 1x12" combo that originally came with a Celestion Sidewinder (although many get pinched and replaced with something cheaper).
    Gotta keep an eye out for one.
    i'm tempted to buy it and then he'll have to courier.  I'm becoming a grumpy git as it irritates me that people can't be arsed to book a courier coz the item is big.  It would only cost £20 if it was an elephant
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11522
    If you want lightweight and purely as a backup then the EHX Magnum 44 might be worth a look.
  • Well, you could offer to arrange your own courier and send him some packaging?  It's a medium sized head cab, as ICBM said, so not massive.  Just nip into a music shop and ask for the box from a Blackstar HT50 or something, and post it to him.  

Obviously, check with the guy first :) for me, posting isn't the problem, it's the packaging of said item.  It takes a while and you need to source stuff.  People are lazy, so they don't bother.

And miss out on a sale.
    well I missed out on the MOFSET as the ebay seller didn't reply to any messages.  

but as usual thanks to everyone for the knowledge.  Good idea @ThePrettyDamned - I'll use that in the future :)

@jalepeno - interesting suggestion!  none on Ebay at the moment
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2954
    There's a Hughes and Kettner Attax combo in the classifieds at the moment, that would do the job perfectly.
    thanks @bidley - it is oop north and collection only :(

@grungebob - I have just pm you about an amp :)
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17899
    tFB Trader
    Bandit EoT