Martin McGuinness RIP

What's Hot

Comments

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2938
    lonestar said:
    Bidley said:
    lonestar said:
    Bidley said:
    Was a peaceful agenda being pushed in Ireland then?
    Peace has thankfully got a hold just now, yes. It's wonderful. Pity that the media isn't picking up on that, are they...
    That's not what I asked though...

Bidley said:
    Yes, a peaceful agenda is being pushed in Northern Ireland
    Why are you deliberately misreading my question? I asked if a peaceful agenda was being pushed at the time robgilmo is talking about, not if it is now (it's pretty plain that it is).

Not one person is denying the awful things the British gov/army have done to the Irish. But you seem bent on justifying the awful acts of terrorism by the IRA.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3640
    Richardj said:
    @lonestar, I'm genuinely not trying to start an argument with you.  We all have our own perspectives on these things and mine comes from the other nation involved here.  Somewhere in the middle hopefully there is a little agreement.

@robgilmo, I think referring to it as a war is still utterly wrong on every count though.

What would you refer to it as? I would refer to an invasion and occupation by force as an act of war, I might be wrong on a technicality , I dunno, I think your perspective Richard comes from your knowledge based on biased news, propaganda and hearsay, the things you were told and the actual truth were probably two totally different things.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5003
    Dominic said:
    Or engineering a famine.........
    That must rank as one of the stupidest and most insensitive of comments ever made on this Forum. Could I respectively suggest @Dominic that you withdraw this comment and slur on an impoverished people. And could I suggest that you read up on the many famines that hit Ireland throughout the 19th century. If you do you will learn that the British government, who ruled Ireland and maintained that position by force, did nothing to help the starving millions. It will not make for a comfortable read but you will have learned something of the history of Ireland by doing so. And possibly gained some understanding of the reasons for the conflict in Northern Ireland.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    Bidley said:
    lonestar said:
    Bidley said:
    lonestar said:
    Bidley said:
    Peace has thankfully got a hold just now, yes. It's wonderful. Pity that the media isn't picking up on that, are they...

Bidley said:
    Why are you deliberately misreading my question? I asked if a peaceful agenda was being pushed at the time robgilmo is talking about, not if it is now (it's pretty plain that it is).

Not one person is denying the awful things the British gov/army have done to the Irish. But you seem bent on justifying the awful acts of terrorism by the IRA.
    I accidentally misread your question because I'm working 20 hours a day between my main job and painting guitars.

No, back then the loyalist population were still oppressing the Catholics along with the RUC. That is a fact btw, not my opinion.

I can't talk to you fellas anymore who are sporadically commenting. You can't see passed your ignorant noses to see that I have time and time again agreed that the violence was WRONG. I LIVE HERE, of course I have two sides of the story to tell.

Bye...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Rocker said:
    Dominic said:
    Or engineering a famine.........
    That must rank as one of the stupidest and most insensitive of comments ever made on this Forum. Could I respectively suggest @Dominic that you withdraw this comment and slur on an impoverished people. And could I suggest that you read up on the many famines that hit Ireland throughout the 19th century. If you do you will learn that the British government, who ruled Ireland and maintained that position by force, did nothing to help the starving millions. It will not make for a comfortable read but you will have learned something of the history of Ireland by doing so. And possibly gained some understanding of the reasons for the conflict in Northern Ireland.

Are you sure you arnt getting that the wrong way around? There is some speculation that the famine was introduced by the English, I just read about this last night, could just be one of them conspiracy things but they wrote that some wars are fought with engineered famines as a weapon, I did make a brief interesting read.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16194
    edited March 2017
    I think @rocker you are reading this the wrong way round ............I am totally aware of the famines and potato blight 
     A lot of historians believe that the English were instrumental in encouraging the spread and purposely making it difficult to relieve the famine ie ; supression by attrition NOT the opposite !
    I.E. -I agree with you 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3500
    robgilmo said:

I do miss my family, Tayto crisps, Club Orange, The Mourns, batch loaves and decent sized sodas
    Club Orange is the king of all fizzy orange drinks.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    robgilmo said:

I do miss my family, Tayto crisps, Club Orange, The Mourns, batch loaves and decent sized sodas
    Awesomeness from a bottle, that and a cheese and onion (or spring onion) Tayto crisp sandwich made from a batch loaf with Kerrygold butter, oooooooh.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3500
    robgilmo said:
    robgilmo said:

Awesomeness from a bottle, that and a cheese and onion (or spring onion) Tayto crisp sandwich made from a batch loaf with Kerrygold butter, oooooooh.
    Kerrygold > Anchor. 
    Bidley said:
    lonestar said:
    Bidley said:
    lonestar said:
    Bidley said:

Bidley said:

That's a difficult and complicated issue, there were people pushing for peace, usually the pushing wasn't enough and the cries for peace fell on deaf ears, I myself protested more than once in organised marches etc for peace, even with huge media coverage it made little impact, but it brought people together, in a good way.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6401
    @robgilmo - don't forget red lemonade ......
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    robgilmo said:
    Bidley said:
    lonestar said:
    Bidley said:
    lonestar said:
    Bidley said:

Bidley said:

That's a difficult and complicated issue, there were people pushing for peace, usually the pushing wasn't enough and the cries for peace fell on deaf ears, I myself protested more than once in organised marches etc for peace, even with huge media coverage it made little impact, but it brought people together, in a good way.
    Thanks for that, difficult and complicated doesn't quite cover it.

My nan used to bring back soda bread when she went home to Ireland. I fucking loved it when I was a kid, never managed to get anything quite like it over here.
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    Bidley said:

My nan used to bring back soda bread when she went home to Ireland. I fucking loved it when I was a kid, never managed to get anything quite like it over here.

given to me by a 94 y/o lady - Nell Levis she and her sister Julia were 'Just looking after their parents shop' <3

Ingredients
        •    250.0g plain white flour
        •    250.0g plain wholemeal flour
        •    100.0g porridge oats
        •    1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
        •    1 tsp salt
        •    25.0g butter , cut in pieces
        •    500.0ml buttermilk
        •    Takes 45-55 minutes
        •    caraway seeds (optional)

1.    Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6/fan 180C and dust a baking sheet with flour. Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl, then rub in the butter. Pour in the buttermilk and mix it in quickly with a table knife, then bring the dough together very lightly with your fingertips (handle it very, very gently). Now shape it into a flat, round loaf measuring 20cm/8in in diameter.
        2.    Put the loaf on the baking sheet and score a deep cross in the top. (Traditionally, this lets the fairies out, but it also helps the bread to cook through.) Bake for 30-35 minutes until the bottom of the loaf sounds hollow when tapped. If it isn't ready after this time, turn it upside down on the baking sheet and bake for a few minutes more.
        3.    Transfer to a wire rack, cover with a clean tea towel (this keeps the crust nice and soft) and leave to cool. To serve, break into quarters, then break or cut each quarter in half to make 8 wedges or slices - or simply slice across. Eat very fresh.
        4.    Takes 45-55 minutes

I've never put porridge oats in it, that sounds nice.

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    lonestar said:
    Richardj said:
    lonestar said:
    I keep trying to come up with an analogy for a murderer being allowed to turn to politics.

He was a changed man, apparently. Ah, so that's OK then lol. Like Dirty Den but a bit dirtier.

A rapist turning to social work? Hmm. Needs work I think.
    Do we REALLY have to remind you of some basic history here? Several points and paragraphs have been written in this thread by people who have a basic grasp of what happened. I'm not repeating myself for you. Scroll up and see what the police, UVF and army did to Catholics.
    Well that made it perfectly OK to bomb shopping centres and town centres killing innocent women and children.

Glad that's cleared up now.
    Don't be so facetious. You know very well what is being said in all of this.

The UK government made it quite clear they, by their actions, that they wanted control of a country that wasn't theirs. Did you expect the Irish to fight back with their feather dusters?

Im guessing you live in England, so you probably don't know any of what has actually happened here. I suggest you read some history about Ireland. You think it was harsh that the IRA targeted destinations in England? Of course it was and I'm not for one moment agreeing with any of the violence at all. But I think only one person has actually acknowledged, in this thread, how vile the Brits have been over the last 150 years towards the Irish.

Problem is, the Irish are close and they hit back. I think you should read back through the thread to see some of the history. 
    Most crimes have a context. It all depends on luck and circumstance as to whether you're allowed to leave your crimes behind after you've served your time. Most aren't afforded that luxury, he was.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    Epic! Thanks @AliGorie ;
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    AliGorie said:

who's side R U on ?

Today's Daily Mail - Irish edition v UK edition pic.twitter.com/c72MiwOdP4

I saw that one on the right at work yesterday. Even as someone who views McGuinness with suspicion, I thought it was an absolutely disgusting thing to do. But what else can one expect from the Daily Mail?
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5003
    Guys, the great famine in Ireland was caused by widespread potatoe blight. The potatoe was the staple food of the Irish peasants. The blight, a naturally occurring infection given the right weather conditions, was not introduced into Ireland by the British. That idea is ludicrous. But it is a fact that vast quantities of grain was exported from Ireland during the years when the famine was at it's worst stages. Little if anything was done by the ruling British Government at that time to alleviate the suffering and distress of the starving people. The country lost around 50% of its people either through starvation or emigration. Apologies @Dominic if I misread your post but it appeared to suggest that the Irish had manufactured the famine for unspecified purposes....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• DominicDominic Frets: 16194
    I guessed that was what it was ......but I can see how it could be read ambiguously .As it happens we were taught at school that the British purposely dumped blighted potatoe plants in the fields of unblighted crops (not that it was some kind of manufactured and introduced entity )- in fact it's very similar to the Floxella that affects and destroys Vineyards -a type of Mildew.
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308