Conspiracy theories

What's Hot

Comments

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4736

Homeopathy is a good one too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27502

I don't think Homeopathy is a conspiracy, it's just bullshit for idiots.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2483
    Apparently the homeopathic "doctors" staged a 1 second strike last week.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    stickyfiddle;1068925" said:
    menamestom said:

I don't think Homeopathy is a conspiracy, it's just bullshit for idiots.
    Well yeah. Now it's not funded by the NHS I guess we can go with that
    :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hungrymarkhungrymark Frets: 1782
    FX_Munkee;1068930" said:
    Apparently the homeopathic "doctors" staged a 1 second strike last week.
    It didn't work so they're going for a 0.1 second one next week.

Use Your Brian
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Come to think of it, homeopathy is like for like, so they're actually going to threaten themselves with a renewed contract for an immeasurably short time.
    Use Your Brian
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10759
    I hope some people watch this, it's pretty interesting imo.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794

If homeopathy worked, you could get pissed for life by diluting the first bottle of whisky you ever bought.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Water is all recycled anyway, and I wash my whisky bottles before I put them in the recycling.

You're welcome.
    Use Your Brian
  • fobfob Frets: 1431
    The only conspiracy theory I've ever had some personal interest in is the Voynitch Manuscript.

Essentially, a sort of encyclopedia from the late middle-ages that is written in an unknown language with with drawings of flora, constellations and such like that nobody recognises. It's almost certainly a hoax (99.999...%) but the tripping point for some is that the (made-up) language actually appears to be in the form of  real language. If you were to make up a document yourself and just randomly assign characters to appear as language, it would fall down pretty quickly under any serious scrutiny. A code of some kind then springs to mind but, again, you would think it would have been cracked. From memory, the prevailing theory was that it was a code based on some unwritten regional dialect - so the hoaxer writes out his shopping list, translates it into his made-up language and presents it as a mysterious document. I think this is why it has held some fascination for me; I don't mind it being a hoax, I just want to know what the shopping list was.

A friend gave me a photocopied version many years ago and I spent far too much time trying to see if I could discern soemthing from it - I've no idea why, the knowledge needed to divine anything from it would be way beyond me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2462
    Have a look at Project Blue Beam. I quite like that one.

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11399

If homeopathy worked, you could get pissed for life by diluting the first bottle of whisky you ever bought.
    We'd also all be drinking wee-wee much of the time.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    scrumhalf said:

We'd also all be drinking wee-wee much of the time.
    We'd all be dead surely? super-mega-ultra-potent poison would surely be present (as diluting makes it stronger right?). Every sip of water would contain a fatal dose of everything... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9793
    I spilled some homeopathic medicine on my shirt once. Only made things worse when I tried to rinse it off.

Also, with homeopathic remedies, should you give children a stronger solution?
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12991
    The good thing about homeopathy is that it's a good way of weeding out idiots, particularly among politicians. For example, if a politician supports homeopathy then it tells you they don't believe in evidence based decision making and so they should be given a wide berth.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    The good thing about homeopathy is that it's a good way of weeding out idiots, particularly among politicians. For example, if a politician supports homeopathy then it tells you they don't believe in evidence based decision making and so they should be given a wide berth.

Absolutely!

Big reason why I wont vote for the Green party. They're anti-evidence right to the top.
    edited May 2016
    Homeopathy has been shown to work "no better than a placebo", not "no better than doing nothing at all". And although I find it difficult to accept the fact, placebos work, it's been proven again and again. The mind and body have immense self-curing resources that are at work every day keeping us alive and healthy - Darwinism has selected us very guitarists over countless other strains of guitarists that have not made it because of that innate defense and healing power that we have - and a placebo can help to unlock those resources.

A placebo draught is not going to replace a surgical procedure such as sewing a finger back on. And it won't have as big an effect as a proper pharmaceutical drug, because as well as having a very significant placebo effect, proper drugs also have a biophysical effect on top of that! But although the mechanism of action is not known, placebos have been shown to be useful in pain relief, tissue growth, immune response and so on.

The best way of administering a placebo is in conditions such as clinical trials, by doctors, as part of random double-blind tests, so that the patient is in a suggestive state of mind - they would know it could be real medicine and the hospital-effect would impress them.

'Remedies' like homeopathy, where the patient is in some way affected by the process of acquiring and administrating the 'medicine', could also replicate that effect. There would then be more chance of the patient's subconscious mind to trigger his/her innate healing resources to get to work.

Moreover, as well as the demonstratable biophysical effect that a placebo can have in genuinely supporting the body to heal its own ailments, it could also have an impact in how a patient FEELS. Just like your mum saying 'there, there' when you've cut your knee as a child, placbos could play a genuine role in combatting pain, tiredness, depression, and so on, and contributing to general well-being, and I don't think that should be dismissed. The entire health profession is geared towards people leading better lives, and that includes making them feel better. I think it's possible for two different people to have exactly the same amount of pain, but to experience it differently and perceive it at different levels, depending on their mental state. If that mental state can be altered, then maybe the pain experienced can too.

I believe placebos, including homeopathy, would work even for some hard-line disbelievers such as myself. Even though we KNOW in our rational brains that like-heals-like, succussion and 100c stuff is nonsense, we are nevertheless not completely in command of our own minds. Evolution has not bred that facet of humanity out of us yet. It's amazing what can be achieved under hypnotism, look what positive thinking is thought to achieve, or social support networks, or faith - almost despite our rational brains, many of us humans are affected by these things. Why shouldn't homeopathy also work on us, or at the very least have the same chance as a placebo - seeing as that's what it is?

The real question for me is whether homeopathy, or water as it's more commonly known, should be allowed to be sold as a 'medicine', knowing that it is likely to benefit some people. Is that dishonesty? Or legitimate? Is it too risky? Would it prevent people from seeking proper medication? Or could it be included as a total healthcare package? Is there a place for it in non-life-threatening cases seeing as it has no side effects and is very cheap? Or are the risks of being conned and deceived too great? And what about hypochondriacs? If they can be made to feel better at all, is it ethical to give them a synthetic chemical with side effects when water would have the same benefit?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    What do you call alternative medicine that works? Medicine!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2016
    Yes exactly, and that's Humphrey's first point in the video above. The MOA of paracetamol isn't fully understood but its chemical deceives your brain into thinking there's no pain. Alternative therapies could do the same, but psychologically rather than chemically.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72887
    Wisdom for viz. That's pretty much exactly how I feel about it too - and I don't know the answer to the last bit either.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom