Conspiracy theories

What's Hot
therose789therose789 Frets: 467
edited May 2016 in Off Topic
I once spent a day in a van with a guy that was really into his conspiracy theories. 

We spent the day talking about what he believes. Now I can't say I believed everything he told me but he certainly had some compelling arguments (they didn't have enough evidence for me to believe him mind) but he also made some outrageous claims. 

Enough about me. 

Im curious to know what you guys have heard and believe or don't believe when it comes to conspiracy theories? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    9/11 and inside job, fake moon landings, anti-gravity tech given by aliens and given under wraps. All something that one of my collegues believes. He is such a normal guy most of the time too.
  • therose789therose789 Frets: 467

Saw this one on facebook 
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    I once spent a day in a van with a guy that was really into his conspiracy theories. 

We spent the day talking about what he believes. Now I can't say I believed everything he told me but he certainly had some compelling arguments but he also made some outrageous claims. 

Enough about me. 

Im curious to know what you guys have heard and believe or don't believe when it comes to conspiracy theories? 
    I'm pretty sceptical about all of them to be honest.

I'm not sure that politicians are clever enough to keep big secrets like 9/11, aliens, moon landings etc.

I do enjoy listening to people spout on about them though.

The fact that there's a cure for cancer is a good one, but the medical industry is keeping it secret because they make too much ££££ out of the current treatments.....conveniently forgetting that finding a cure for cancer would probably make the discoverer the most famous person on the planet, a global hero for all time and richer than many of the oil Sheiks in the middle east. 

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    my ex-gf believed in chemtrails
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11346
    David Aaronovitch of The Times wrote a great book about conspiracy theories, Voodoo Histories, well worth a read.

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4727

We spent the day talking about what he believes. Now I can't say I believed everything he told me but he certainly had some compelling arguments but he also made some outrageous claims. 

Enough about me. 

Compelling arguments are worthless without evidence to back them up. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72642
    Pretty much none of them...

We went to the Moon.

Lee Harvey Oswald shot JFK*.

Princess Diana died in a car accident**.

The Twin Towers were not blown up by explosives on 9/11***.

(*Although who may have put him up to it is a different question, and much more important.)

(**Probably involving a white Fiat Uno, but which was not deliberately intended to kill her.)

(***Although I don't think it's at all impossible that the attack was known about in advance.)

The main reason I don't believe these, or most other conspiracy theories, is that the complexity of doing it the way the conspiracists say it was done so astronomically outweighs the complexity of it having happened the obvious way, that it makes no sense to believe the theory.

The motivations of people involved and the ways those may have been covered up is a very different thing though, and if there are real conspiracies I think that's where you'll find them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Patriarchy is the biggest conspiracy theory going.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Drew_fx said:
    Misoginist 

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    lloyd said:
    Drew_fx said:
    Misoginist 
    I do like miso soup. And gin.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4727

It's also worth noting that conspiracies are now an industry, look at the web pages with all their advertising space and the so called experts in the field doing seminars etc.  I have my own theory that governments actually make up and plant conspiracy theories so that while they sell off public assets and fail the country with general buffoonery, some parts of the population are oblivious while they are looking up watching for chemtrails.

I don't really believe that theory, I just made it up for a laugh.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    A Facebook friend is a full on conspiracy nut. Most of his posts are about chemtrails and the fact we're all 'sheeples'. He's a nice guy in spite of it.

I do like a good conspiracy but like @lloyd said there are far too many people involved to keep such huge events covered up

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Drew_fx said:
    lloyd said:
    Drew_fx said:
    Misoginist 
    I do like miso soup. And gin.
    wis for the gin ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • therose789therose789 Frets: 467
    edited May 2016
    A Facebook friend is a full on conspiracy nut. Most of his posts are about chemtrails and the fact we're all 'sheeples'. He's a nice guy in spite of it.

I do like a good conspiracy but like @lloyd said there are far too many people involved to keep such huge events covered up
    What are Chemtrails? 

EDIT: Used google.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

Enough about me. 

I had a beer with Elvis last week ... he thinks these conspiracy theory people are just nuts.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    my ex-gf believed in chemtrails
    I guess we don't need to know why she's your ex then!

I find a lot of them really interesting, but so many are stemmed from people bored with the idea that perhaps they exist in a normal setting and there isn't this greater secrets etc...

Too much Dr Who I say
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1759

Had to car share with someone for a short period of time (he was an idiot and thankfully got the sack fairly quickly)

He firmly believed that Prince Charles was a Lizard who creates diseases to infect the population and keep them under control.

I asked him if he'd been listening to David Icke - had no idea what I was on about - but he'd seen a youtube video of prince Charles saying he was a lizard who grew diseases to give to people - so that was proof enough.

I still can't get over just how sure of this he was.

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    I heard that the EU is run by faceless aliens! How riduculous can you get?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Search for the Great war of the Dulce Base

The hidden underground base in new mexico where humans aliens work alongside each other, but went to war
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    What about the Nasa employee who claims she was asked to remove 'UFOs' from pictures.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!