Conspiracy theories

What's Hot

Comments

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    The nature of the collapse of WTC7 is extremely difficult to explain. Unless it was the most badly built steel structured 47 storey building that the world has ever known.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4727

Chalky said:
    The nature of the collapse of WTC7 is extremely difficult to explain. Unless it was the most badly built steel structured 47 storey building that the world has ever known.

Was it not hit by masses of debris and set on fire?  As an engineer who works with steel structures, nothing seems that difficult to explain. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Debris no, fire yes. No accelerants AFAIK ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6193
    Some conspiracy theories are intriguing, most are laughable.

But I feel distinctly unhappy with the sorty that David Kelly's death was suicide.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    joeyowen said:
    Search for the Great war of the Dulce Base

The hidden underground base in new mexico where humans aliens work alongside each other, but went to war
    @joeyowen not heard that before .. who won?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Worked with someone who thought that not just the moonlanding was faked, but ALL space travel... because according to him the technology didn't exist at the time... I suspect this means that "invention" is new to him ... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Fretwired said:
    joeyowen said:
    Search for the Great war of the Dulce Base

The hidden underground base in new mexico where humans aliens work alongside each other, but went to war
    @joeyowen not heard that before .. who won?
    I guess we did tbh

It's a fun Google!  I try and believe it as a read it, to get on board... it makes a great fiction
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549

Many people, given the choice, would rather be wrong than be a victim. So if someone in authority tells them something that, in all likelihood, is perfectly honest and accurate, they will assume it's a lie to avoid being taken for a mug.

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    joeyowen said:
    my ex-gf believed in chemtrails
    I guess we don't need to know why she's your ex then!
    he he but no, she dumped me (and not 'cos I don't believe in chemtrails) - probably 'cos I'm an awkward sod to get along with
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    goldtop said:
    Some conspiracy theories are intriguing, most are laughable.

But I feel distinctly unhappy with the sorty that David Kelly's death was suicide.
    That's 'cos it wasn't. Nobody seriously believes it was.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11346
    One of the great put-downs of "space travel is impossible" came when one of the conspiracy theorists said that no spacecraft could pass through the Van Allen belt without killing all of the occupants. He maintained this steadfastly, even when he was challenged by a certain...

James Van Allen.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Myranda;1067753" said:
    Worked with someone who thought that not just the moonlanding was faked, but ALL space travel... because according to him the technology didn't exist at the time... I suspect this means that "invention" is new to him ... 
    The technology was developed by the huns in WW2. My gran spent the war in London. The V2s and V1s were quite real.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72642
    Chalky said:
    It *looks* somewhat like a controlled demolition, yes. But unless you can work out how a team of demolition experts got in after the workers left without anyone seeing them, and had enough time to rig the whole building with explosives, then it's far simpler and more logical to assume that it did collapse due to an uncontrolled fire weakening the lower floor structure badly enough that it collapsed as a single unit once it reached a critical point.

The WTC *was* built badly, anyway - the reason the Twin Towers collapsed is fundamentally because the floor beams weren't actually tied to the uprights, if I remember correctly. I'm not a structural engineer, but I've seen a good explanation of how the fire weakened the beams and one after another fell away until the framework was essentially a house of cards. The slightest sideways wobble and the whole thing came down. If WTC7 was built the same way, it would have collapsed the same way.

The problem with all the theories other than the obvious one is that they're vastly more complicated and require a chain of logistics and organisation that couldn't be guaranteed to even be possible to carry out, or work. The same is true of almost every other major conspiracy theory.

Other than really simple ones like bumping off a troublesome old man who was about to cause very serious political damage to the government...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6193
    ICBM said:

Other than really simple ones like bumping off a troublesome old man who was about to cause very serious political damage to the government...
    As said, I'm inclined to agree, but the trouble is that the debate on David Kelly's death is largely held on conspiracy sites. Like this one - http://www.thetruthseeker.co.uk/ - and the wacky tinfoilery ruins any chance of sensible discussion.

In fact, perhaps the wackier conspiracy theorists are in the pay of the Illuminati - just to make all conspiracy theories look daft? Hang on, there's a knock at the door... BRB...

bzzzzttttttt

<NO CARRIER>
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hungrymarkhungrymark Frets: 1782
    I once watched a David Icke lecture on Netflix for a laugh but found the fundamentals of his stance strangely compelling. He was basically encouraging people to question their authorities, which is a noble enough goal. Then it all went a bit mental but you can see how people get sucked in.
    Use Your Brian
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72642
    goldtop said:
    As said, I'm inclined to agree, but the trouble is that the debate on David Kelly's death is largely held on conspiracy sites. Like this one - http://www.thetruthseeker.co.uk/ - and the wacky tinfoilery ruins any chance of sensible discussion.
    In fact, perhaps the wackier conspiracy theorists are in the pay of the Illuminati - just to make all conspiracy theories look daft?
    This is also the problem with asking sensible questions about the details of some of the other big ones - they get lost in the noise of the wacky, and often mutually contradictory, conspiracist theories.

My dad has become a believer in a couple of them unfortunately… and he's scientifically educated too, he should know better.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7850
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    ICBM said:
    Chalky said:
    It *looks* somewhat like a controlled demolition, yes. But unless you can work out how a team of demolition experts got in after the workers left without anyone seeing them, and had enough time to rig the whole building with explosives, 

Don't be daft.  They had the explosives built in under the direction of their illuminati overlords.

• cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    Who then wiped the memories of every one involved

I have a couple of "theorist" colleauges at work and I enjoy playing along with them by making ever dafter explanations to back up their stories...sometimes they even stop and think about the level of daftness reached
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    People who claim to believe in conspiracy theories are actually time travellers who recognise each other through their improbable beliefs.