Forces of Nature with Brian Cox

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24732
I've never seen this before tonight - but wow....  I've learned so much and also felt strangely chilled out at the same time.

Well worth watching in my opinion.

For example...   despite living by the sea for the majority of my life, I had no idea that when I watch the tides coming in and out, what's actually happening is that the oceans are effectively stationary, bulging out at the sides of the Earth and it is the land that is moving into and out of the stationary oceans, thus creating the effect of tides.
Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Watch the first one on the iPlayer....brilliant series so far.
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 854
    I pretty much love everything Cox does. He's the David attenborough of his generation.
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    He is great. I have recorded it, but haven't watched it yet. I just love that he is so enthusiastic about science.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Hoping we have a really cold snap this winter so we try that bubble blowing thing he did in the first one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8164
    I can't stand the man.  He'll spout any old crap, regardless of whether it's supported by scientific fact or not. He's a little science b1tch for the BBC. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    So the sea is still, and the land goes in and out. Er, yeah right. Was he smoking some weird roll up whilst presenting?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3113
    He sends me to sleep!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    paulnb57 said:
    He sends me to sleep!
    Same here, that's why I record it to watch when going to bed. It save's using my limited supply of zopiclone.

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7145
    tFB Trader
    I watched 20 mins of the first one and found it very slow. It would be better if Brian could just post a few bullet points and save everyone an hour.
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited July 2016
    paulnb57 said:
    He sends me to sleep!

I think I send my kids to sleep in the same way. The other day I was trying to explain about how bubbles form in coke and they had a glazed look in their eyes.. I just find large swathes of science (apart from biology I guess) fascinating.
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428

Drivel compared to his earlier series.  A load of tenuous links which seem to just be an excuse for another all expenses paid round the world trip for him.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6424
    ESchap said:

Drivel compared to his earlier series.  A load of tenuous links which seem to just be an excuse for another all expenses paid round the world trip for him.

It does have the whiff of an all expenses mini-break about it.  Although he was just voice-over for the Amazon & Greenland sections (lot of emotive father & son waffle there I thought)  ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11462
    REgardless of the programme content, I just can't stand his simpering delivery.
    I actually like Brian Cox very much on the whole, I just don't watch much TV so rarely see him.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    paulnb57 said:
    He sends me to sleep!
    Me, too!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73232
    edited July 2016
    I used to like him a lot, but I've seen a few things recently where he has definitely appeared more as a rent-a-scientist and dumbed the subject down - he maybe thinks he needs to do that in order to reach a wider audience.

He's much better when he's in his proper area of expertise - astro/quantum physics - a few of the things he's done on that were quite profound and worthwhile, I thought pitched just right be be understandable without being too oversimplified.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2493
    Honestly couln't give a toss whether any of you lot enjoyed it or not :P. I'm just desparately hoping that it might inspire some of the younger generation to study and work in science. I genuinely do hope he can become some sort of Attenborough for this generation, specifically for this reason.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    FX_Munkee said:
    Honestly couln't give a toss whether any of you lot enjoyed it or not :P. I'm just desparately hoping that it might inspire some of the younger generation to study and work in science. I genuinely do hope he can become some sort of Attenborough for this generation, specifically for this reason.
    Yeah, I'm with you. Surely he's the most 'recognised' scientific presenter we have ever had in the UK, which is no bad thing in drawing kids and young people into science. Infinitely more marketable than Patrick Moore or Magnus Pike!
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    He's great fun on The Infinite Monkey Cage 
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4720
    It was Jonny Ball when I was a kid, and a really old guy an another science show (I remember his face but nothing else)