Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Robbie Robertson Signature Strat.......wow!

What's Hot

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I'll have to make do with the Robbie Robertson signature microphone, I reckon..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2527
    Mind you not as expensive as @guitars4you 's Tyler....'Priced at £17499 and that includes the deluxe hard shell case – I’ve even obtained a copy of the spec sheet from Tyler to go with it'

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1693
    Is Robbie Robertson a big draw in the guitar world? 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6316
    edited December 2016
    shaunm said:
    Big in the usa. There's the Band/Dylan link plus soundtracking for Scorsese.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30357
    shaunm said:
    Maybe not in the guitar world but certainly in the music world.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1648
    These are obviously only produced for mega-rich fanatic guitar collectors or fans of The Band, so the price is fairly irrelevant really for the rest of us.

I like The Band, and some of his solo work, but never really get wowed by his guitar playing tbh
  • shaunm said:
    Yeah this is what I was thinking. The only fan of the Band I know is my dad, so it probably makes sense that they are targeting guys his age. Mortgage paid off, kids left home/out of education, decent pension etc etc. I know Fender have mistimed the introduction of top end artist signatures before, outside of your perennial SRV EC etc etc, I remember the poor sales of the Andy Summer CS tele were put down to the target demographic being that bit younger than your usual Custom Shop Customer and therefore having more outside pressure on their finances. At one point Fender were bundling them in free if you bought enough CS guitars from them !
    I work for http://www.reverb.com/uk Any questions, queries, complaints, Drop me a line.

Remember to check out our Bank Holiday Sale 15% off New, Used and Vintage
    https://reverb.com/uk/sales/bank-holiday-sale

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15428
    tFB Trader
    Strat54 said:
    Mind you not as expensive as @guitars4you 's Tyler....'Priced at £17499 and that includes the deluxe hard shell case – I’ve even obtained a copy of the spec sheet from Tyler to go with it'

eagle eyed - I could not even find the error at first - must be the spec sheet that makes it worth so much !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks - edit now applied
  • you would have to be crazy to pay that kind of money for a strat.

your talking vintage gibson money. 
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Would be interesting to see how much one of these is worth 2nd hand in a year or twos time, presumably a bit less than £13000?
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Lovely guitar - shame it won't be played in anger.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Given that The Last Waltz completely reshaped my musical taste, dragging me out of the last clutches of glam and thrusting me into what would now be called Americana (and blues) and has essentially remained unchanged in the 40 years since, I would absolutely love that guitar. Shame Fender didn't realise that their target market has no money....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3847
    Given that The Last Waltz completely reshaped my musical taste, dragging me out of the last clutches of glam and thrusting me into what would now be called Americana (and blues) and has essentially remained unchanged in the 40 years since, I would absolutely love that guitar. Shame Fender didn't realise that their target market has no money....
    Plenty of their target audience has a good deal of money and £17k for something they wanted would be a drop in the ocean TBH.

In the watch collectors realm which many inhabit that money would be small fry.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The Last Walzt was such an influence on me, despite not seeing it for years and years after. 
    I bout the Cassette tapes when they came out in early 80's I think. And was just knocked out about the whole emphasis being on song not a solo. 
    Some of the songs have no real solo, yet his authority is stamped all over it. Yet when he wants to let rip he can certainly tear it up as Clapton seen when his guitar came off his strap and Robbie took the solo! 
  •   
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Neil said:
    Shame Fender didn't realise that their target market has no money....
    Plenty of their target audience has a good deal of money and £17k for something they wanted would be a drop in the ocean TBH.

Yeah but I was referring specifically to myself! 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006

I haven't seen that for years! Absolutely love it. Both play brilliantly on it.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30357
    Not a bronze Strat in sight on that video.
    I saw the Band a couple of times in the 70s and he was playing a Tele both times.
    Brilliant live band.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    Rowby1 said:
    Dipped in molten bronze apparently!
    I'd like to see that.

The melting point of bronze varies depending on the ratio of the alloy components and is about 950 °C 
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronze#Properties

Every material has an ‘autoignition point’ – the temperature at which it will spontaneously ignite without any external source of ignition. With wood, the autoignition point is 300ºC. As soon as wood is heated to this temperature, it starts to release hydrocarbons. These then react with the oxygen in the air and ignite the wood.
    http://www.wonderpediamagazine.co.uk/science/what-temperature-does-wood-burn

Maybe if you dipped it very quickly?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8629
    Cool looking guitar but I can't get my head around the price. How shall we split the costs, let's say 3k for the neck, hardware, electrics and set-up, leaving £10k for the guitar body? Just doesn't work on any level. 
    Still, if there is a market then fair play to Fender, it's probably what helps keep them alive these days, selling 40 of these guitars is probably the equivalent profit-wise to selling 4000 Afinity Strats.