The Captain meets John Petrucci...

What's Hot

Comments

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    But he doesn't play blues on a Strat, Tele or Les Paul? Who is this guy?

Seriously, I found his playing and tones completely abhorrent
    It gets worse than that, they can't even spell 'theatre' :o
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16666
    The John Petruccis and Guthrie Govans of this world have done a lot of interviews so Lee's presence in the studio is a bit neither here nor there; I guess he tries to present as the naive, everyman guitarist providing a link between the viewer and the interviewee but they are ( mostly) capable of doing that themselves and given that Lee works in the industry something a bit more probing ought to be possible. Still, they do their bit and try to suggest that to be as good as them you need the expensive gear they endorse and we all understand the game that's being played. For a bloke who does YouTube clips for a guitar shop Lee does a good job. 
    The beardy chap from Sweetwater does a better line in intelligent questions but has an incredibly dull style. Can't have everything maybe.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2530

I've wis'd @mburekenge above. Research: Compare Anderton to Brian Sword on The Double Stop or Jude Gold on NGIS. The latter two often know stuff about their interviewees that the latter don't know or have forgotten. I'm pleased Andertons put this format together and there is a certain charm to having the boss man still being the kid in the tuckshop, but the great potential of their high-caliber guest roster will remain underexploited as long as he does these videos himself.

Face it: Andertons only do this for exposure. Nothing wrong with that. I'd wager they'd get more (which would translate into more actual business for their actual business) if they got a better interviewer.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    Interviews for me have to be 20 minutes max. For two hours I could watch a film!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2413

I skimmed through purely as I am a fan of EBMM guitars (although I wouldn't buy a JP model) and I like to hear how they work with the artists.

Andertons do have a great range of stock but I do wonder how long the whole 'Advertising with YouTube videos' will last....I enjoy most of their videos but they have definitely swung towards a more 'sales' point of view recently. Things change and the industry changes, and with the £ being absolutely pathetic right now, and CITES causing delays and further increases in pricing, I do wonder how long the consumer will continue to buy until they think 'nah, it's taking the mick now'.

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28098
    Jesus, guys, cut the guy some slack. He's literally learning to be an interviewer in front of tens of thousands of people, interviewing people's heroes. How about you put yourselves in his position and consider how bloody nerve-wracking that must be, and how you might handle it?

Like it or not, he's the most recognisable face of his company, so it stands to reason that he's the one for the job; they could get a better interviewer in, but that would increase the chance that they'd eventually bugger off and take their viewers with them. That can't happen with Lee Anderton, by definition.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1221
    I'm an hour in and it's perfect to have on in the background whilst i'm *ahem* working...
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    Why oh why oh why couldn't they get Michael Parkinson or John Humphreys to do the interviews?
    We need professionals for the job, not guitar players. What do they know?
    Jesus, guys, cut the guy some slack. He's literally learning to be an interviewer in front of tens of thousands of people, interviewing people's heroes. How about you put yourselves in his position and consider how bloody nerve-wracking that must be, and how you might handle it?

Like it or not, he's the most recognisable face of his company, so it stands to reason that he's the one for the job; they could get a better interviewer in, but that would increase the chance that they'd eventually bugger off and take their viewers with them. That can't happen with Lee Anderton, by definition.

I think he does a decent job, but then, there are much more difficult careers out there which I assume are a lot less 'fun' and a hell of a lot more stressful. Andertons seem to be a good company.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7868

I think he does a decent job, but then, there are much more difficult careers out there which I assume are a lot less 'fun' and a hell of a lot more stressful. Andertons seem to be a good company.
    Can only assume you've never run your own business with multiple employees. He maybe having some fun but I should think over the years it's been very stressful.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4903

Can only assume you've never run your own business with multiple employees. He maybe having some fun but I should think over the years it's been very stressful.
    I always say to young lawyers looking to, one day, run their own firm, never, ever, take on staff.............
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723

Yeah I agree, come on guys.  Even I have given Andertons a chance and like the videos, can't you all do the same? 
  • Tuscan777Tuscan777 Frets: 125
    Skimmed it, thought it was good on the bits I stopped on, although I'm no fan of JP's music he certainly seemed a good interviewee.

This all seems to stem from the 'interview bomb' that happened at NAMM earlier in the year, so I'm hopeful that Steve Morse will be in one of these soon, and as Deep Purple are in the UK this Summer.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Tuscan777 said:

This all seems to stem from the 'interview bomb' that happened at NAMM earlier in the year, so I'm hopeful that Steve Morse will be in one of these soon, and as Deep Purple are in the UK this Summer.
    Yeah, I hope you're right. It gets a little uncomfortable to watch at times that NAMM clip:

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Tuscan777 said:
    Skimmed it, thought it was good on the bits I stopped on, although I'm no fan of JP's music he certainly seemed a good interviewee.

Would love to see Luke on there and Steve Stevens. 
    I can't reply to individual replies for some reason, but regardless of anyone's past experience with running a company, the Andertons guys CLEARLY get a lot of fun perks. Their deadlines are 'oh we are off to NAMM'.....hmmmm!
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5106
    Tuscan777 said:

Given the stuff that Steve Morse seems to chat about, I can only assume the interview would be deathly dull. 

The man man lives on a ranch, which is a mini airport, tours the world with one of the most influential rock bands of all time, is himself a fantastically talented player, when asked what he last went out of his house to get he paused......."Twine"

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2959
    Andertons/The Captain and John Petrucci. A match guaranteed to send the forum into meltdown.
  • Tuscan777Tuscan777 Frets: 125
    Tuscan777 said:

Given the stuff that Steve Morse seems to chat about, I can only assume the interview would be deathly dull. 

The man man lives on a ranch, which is a mini airport, tours the world with one of the most influential rock bands of all time, is himself a fantastically talented player, when asked what he last went out of his house to get he paused......."Twine"

Yep! That was in the Jude Gold podcast I believe? Although I enjoyed the whole more than that single word suggested!
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2530
    simonk said:
    Tuscan777 said:

Yeah, I hope you're right. It gets a little uncomfortable to watch at times that NAMM clip:

Very true. But that's OK, because this happened:

I'd never have heard Luke being a total boss on that tune otherwise. And neither would a whole load of other people. Even if PG got his wires crossed and named this song instead of the one he meant, with the killer solo, which was obviously elsewhere on the album.