Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitar wise......what do you know now that you didn't know 10-15 years ago ?

What's Hot
( Donning fogey cap ) what I know now includes:

You don't need ALL THAT distortion

All that shredding in the guitar shop, those listening think you are a berk and they ain't listening

Tremolo systems of any kind whatsoever ain't for me at all

You don't have to slavishly learn something to an ocd degree, inject some of you into the music

A band is only as strong as it's weakest member, learn to think as a team as it's all not about you

Look up what humility means

That's some of my philosophical thinking, with experience what have you learnt ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    Bass is just more bloody enjoyable to play live..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • Buying lots of guitars, because the next one might make you play better, really is a fallacy.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Bass is just more bloody enjoyable to play live..
    Depends what you are playing I suppose. I think if you are playing basslines by the late great chic bassist Bernard edwards then the world is a happier place. If you are playing shite like coldplay then don't sit near any sharp implements for your own safety.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    Buying lots of guitars, because the next one might make you play better, really is a fallacy.
    Yeah - I really agree with that. ‘Consumerism’ seemed to hit the guitar market in a big way in the mid-late 90s through to mid-2000s.

I like having a main guitar that’s a ‘constant’. I never really bought into the boutique pedal thing - but most sounds you need can be obtained from Boss & MXR pedals.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1826
    It's all in the hands, timing and a small thing called talent. That's what I've learnt and no amount of hand wired gear is gonna make you sound better. Other than make you feel better which might have some contributing factor to a live performance I guess ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Bass is just more bloody enjoyable to play live..
    Depends what you are playing I suppose. I think if you are playing basslines by the late great chic bassist Bernard edwards then the world is a happier place. If you are playing shite like coldplay then don't sit near any sharp implements for your own safety.
    Originals. I've just really enjoyed writing and playing bass lines far more than I've ever enjoyed playing guitar in any live setting..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5636
    edited October 2017
    I’d rather have one or two really bloody nice guitars than 10 “inexpensive” ones. 

With a few exceptions to the rule of course. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1274
    You have to practice properly, and not just the bits you want to do.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10072
    That despite being a guitar god in my own bedroom (and in my own mind), I won't have a single original idea when playing with other people.

That less is more. Better to play a two-note phrase well than to play a more challenging lick badly.

That a Tele and a no-frills amp can still have me grinning like a Cheshire Cat.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • HAL9000 said:
    That despite being a guitar god in my own bedroom (and in my own mind), I won't have a single original idea when playing with other people.

That less is more. Better to play a two-note phrase well than to play a more challenging lick badly.

That a Tele and a no-frills amp can still have me grinning like a Cheshire Cat.
    Absolutely agree with the less is more chain of thought. I spent a lot of time really perfecting Gary moores out in the fields solo as I used to play it in a band I was in. It's hard enough to pick that fast and clean when you play along with the record, but add in an enthusiastic drummer and a live environment and you have to factor in another 10 BPM. I was able to do it, but tell you what.....I got more pleasure playing Sheryl Crow my favourite mistake on a nice Tele straight into a clean amp. All that woodshedding shit is for practicing in the bedroom as few want to hear it nor give a toss.
    An evening with an acoustic can be one of the most enjoyable ways of playing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • An evening with an acoustic can be one of the most enjoyable ways of playing...
    Tune it to dadgad and play out on the western plain by Rory Gallagher and just smile at yourself.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    An evening with an acoustic can be one of the most enjoyable ways of playing...
    Tune it to dadgad and play out on the western plain by Rory Gallagher and just smile at yourself.
    Love dadgad. For some reason I love it even more capo'd at the 2nd...
  • An evening with an acoustic can be one of the most enjoyable ways of playing...
    Love dadgad. For some reason I love it even more capo'd at the 2nd...
    Ever check out dadgad master Pierre Bensusan, that is a dude who can seriously play.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    edited October 2017
    Instead of thinking the next piece of gear will make you sound better, learn to really understand and get the best out of the gear that you have

Learning about EQ is key, and having an EQ pedal on your board is the best investment you can make.

Less is more - it's at least as much about the notes you're not playing as well as the notes you are

Don't start with a crescendo of sound because you have no where to go - learning to build your sound is crucial

Whatever style you like to play, listen to lots of different styles of music...it's amazing what new things you'll discover, what familiar ground you'll find, and you'll also discover that what you think is new...isn't. 

Feel is way more important than technical skills - BB King can do more with three notes than most players can do with 12!

I've learned that slide-guitar and experimenting with different tunings is good fun

And finally...some of the best musicians and guitarists in the world are...and I'm being deadly serious here...country players!

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
    drop that g to f for the saddest tuning ever
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 628
    I have to play sitting down :-(
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Buy the best guitar you can afford and stick with it. Love it. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10072
    Voxman said:

And finally...some of the best musicians and guitarists in the world are...and I'm being deadly serious here...country players!

^True. I've been saying this for a couple of years to anybody who will listen. 

It's strange how (generally) the best players used to be the blues-rock musicians, then rock, whilst country players were often strumming 'cowboy' chords. Now plenty of country players are very accomplished indeed. 

That certainly isn't to say that there aren't great players in other genres, but it is noticeable how much country has evolved.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15428
    tFB Trader
    a good guitar is a good guitar and bad one is a bad one - regardless of make, value, age

The guitar that feels right, plays right and sounds right is a far better option than the one that only looks right