are you identifiable as a Strat man or a ???? (or whatever guitar type you might be preferring)

What's Hot
siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
edited April 2014 in Guitar
I've got 12 electrics...3 Strats (HSS,SSS and HHH) 1 Tele, 1 SG, 1 LP, PRS Custom 22, Ibanez Jem, JS and S2540, Peavey Wolfgang,  Brian May RS Replica...and the bottom line is I love them all and can happily gig any of them to the point where its hard to pin me down as a Strat player or a LP player etc...I like what they all do but realise I can't be identified as a Strat man or anything else. I guess the only thing I could say is that I'm mostly into humbuckers. What are you?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4385
    Generally I'm a Strat player, but I like to dabble with 335s and PRS doublecuts.
  • vizviz Frets: 11041
    I'm a Callaghan guitars man :)

photo image_zps52577264.jpg
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    Not really. I've got a good few electrics including an Ibanez PGM, Epi LP/SG, Gibbo Flying V, Fender Tele etc - can't pin me down! ;)
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Them that know me as a guitarist would probably say I'm a Gibson man: I play 3 Gibsons (not all at once) and 2 Yamahas both of which have a lot of Gibson in their ancestry.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I try to get on with Gibsons but just cannot it seems. I am really a Strat/SuperStrat kind of guy!
  • Strat man. Except for acoustics when I become Gretsch Synchromatic man....
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Pretty much exclusively a Tele/Esquire man these days (for six-strings, anyway) - I think I've grown out of bells and whistles and shiny things and just want a simple guitar that will take a beating. 
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3897
    I'm a boob man 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Depends what time of the month you catch me. I alternate between strat, tele and 335 on a pretty regular basis.

I've been avoiding playing any kind of Gretsch whatsoever as there's simply no point in tempting myself if I don't have the money. 

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited April 2014
    I was an SG guy for many years and didn't "get" Les Pauls even though I had a lovely early re-issue which was kept unloved in the wardrobe *. This is almost certainly because an SG was my first "good" electric guitar and therefore became my standard for scale. weight, everything.

Then one day I suddenly realised that the Les Paul is the perfect solid guitar. A design that was right first time (I like to think that the '52 neck angle was a production error). In fact a design classic. Which is why you must all stop what you are doing right now, and put the pick guard on your Les Paul.

* I  don't keep guitars "under the bed" because I believe that this guy is correct.    :-O
    http://www.es-335.org/2013/02/25/gravity-threat-or-menace/

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    I have given this a lot of thought over the years, and the conclusion is stark and definite: nobody cares.

The audience doesn't care, the rest of your band doesn't care (if you have another guitarist, he[1] may care if you're too sonically or cosmetically similar) and I now wonder if you yourself should care.

[1] And it is, depressingly, almost always a he.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I like double cut in most styles. I like the look of single cuts, but they don't suit my playing so great.

Anything with a fairly slim neck and a radius of 9.5 inch or more is fine. Generally, I like slightly wider necks, as they are a bit easier to switch from a picked riff to a tapped line and back again.
  • Lixarto said:
    I have given this a lot of thought over the years, and the conclusion is stark and definite: nobody cares.

The audience doesn't care, the rest of your band doesn't care (if you have another guitarist, he[1] may care if you're too sonically or cosmetically similar) and I now wonder if you yourself should care.

Why buy anything other than a Squire strat then?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2014
    You'll get no argument from me - more than one person has said to me "You make every guitar sound the same"; so it is in the fingers after all ;)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • Lixarto said:
    You'll get no argument from me - more than one person has said to me "You make every guitar sound the same"; so it is in the fingers after all ;)
    Wisdom awarded. There is a good Buddy Whittington song about that. It's of Six String Svengali. The lyrics are ace.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    I get that "you make every guitar sound the same" but its not stictly true...as i said in the OP I've got 12 elctrics and i can hear differences in all of them, but that said i do sound like me on them all..but thats something i totally get and understand but i'm still aware my PRS Custom 22 doesnt sound like my Telecaster really. Methinks thats what it is when others say that about you/me.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I've tried, but I can't got on with Gibson, and Gibson-based guitars. Also I don't like Tele's, so it's Strats and SuperStrats for me. Preferably with a Floyd.

The body shape of Strat-based guitars fits me perfectly, and have my arms in the right place,  whereas the other designs mentioned don't. IE when playing a LP my right arm feels like it's too far forward.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• vizviz Frets: 11041
    edited April 2014
    mike_l said:

The body shape of Strat-based guitars fits me perfectly

Like this?

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    edited April 2014
    siraxeman said: I get that "you make every guitar sound the same" but its not stictly true...as i said in the OP I've got 12 elctrics and i can hear differences in all of them
    Yes - the point I am making (with possibly an element of flippancy) is that the majority of audience probably cannot perceive much of a difference, therefore it doesn't really matter.

In summation: we choose a guitar to please ourselves, because we can :)
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10343
    Lixarto said:

I totally agree with this.

but in the spirit of the thread I am an offset guitar player. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.