Youtube teachers, Who's your favourite and why?

What's Hot

Comments

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7132
    edited July 2020
    JerkMoans said:
    tony99 said:
    marty shwarz and justin are great but really have to give a massive shout out to jason read who teaches all of the tunes that all the other guitar tutors just do not play
    +1 for Jason Read, who’s just great as a teacher, tackles all sorts of eclectic stuff with aplomb in an approachable way, and is a lovely fellow to boot.

Also, esp. for his Marc Ribot breakdowns, the maestro Eric Haugen.
    hey guitar buddies, today we're gonna learn .......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWrKv6w_iDM&t=44s

Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5866
    edited July 2020
    If you like Funk/Soul/Disco/80's R&B then Dave Price, Eric Blackmon and Morrisman are really helpful.

There is a channel called "How to Play Easy Guitar" which covers a lot of Pop stuff too.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27690
    I’m working my way through this guy’s stuff

https://youtu.be/m6b371mNkCw

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    tony99 said:
    JerkMoans said:
    tony99 said:
    marty shwarz and justin are great but really have to give a massive shout out to jason read who teaches all of the tunes that all the other guitar tutors just do not play
    +1 for Jason Read, who’s just great as a teacher, tackles all sorts of eclectic stuff with aplomb in an approachable way, and is a lovely fellow to boot.

Deleted my comments on his channel when I ( very politely) pointed out what he wasn’t doing right. Hmmm.
    He does turn out a lot of stuff, some interesting songs certainly. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8797
    tony99 said:
    JerkMoans said:
    tony99 said:

HEYYYYY guitar buddies!!!

Madman took on ‘Maggot Brain’. Just because a few of us asked him to.

https://youtu.be/Fv3OmYja3Bk
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7132
    JerkMoans said:
    tony99 said:
    JerkMoans said:
    tony99 said:

HEYYYYY guitar buddies!!!

Madman took on ‘Maggot Brain’. Just because a few of us asked him to.

https://youtu.be/Fv3OmYja3Bk
    yeah I love maggot brain, he was first place I went to when I wanted to figure it out, sure enough, there it was

(I still haven't learnt it though)
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4211
    I like tab ,
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 821
    edited July 2020
    There are a few, I started out with Steve Stein, but I think anyonecanplay guy is very good, it must be difficult for them with copyright stuff these days, and in a wider vein I have recently started watching Guy Mitchelomore for his theory lessons, he has a compelling style which is a bit wearing after a while, but makes stuff fun.
    That is the point really--it should be fun.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfcpzsPGClw
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6920
    Definitely the video talking through the various sections (ie playing scale x in position y, hitting these notes and how they relate to key and chord structure) - and identifying key parts that need attention and the associated technique - definitely not stating which string and fret number or relying on me to work out what’s being played from your hand position! but with tab download so I can quickly see the entirety pattern/song and don’t have to find/rewind the video to learn in my own time.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2204
    edited July 2020
    I posted this on the wrong thread so reposting here.

I like clarity of presentation, musicality and feel.

I used to follow Shutup & Play. The Crossroads tutorial is an absolute classic (link at end of this post). I was surprised to see there are new uploads, so I need to revisit.

There's even a comment by Tim Pierce from 5 years ago, one of my other favourite guitar tutors on Youtube. 

It's not a competition.
  • dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    I posted this on the wrong thread so reposting here.

I like clarity of presentation, musicality and feel.

I used to follow Shutup & Play. The Crossroads tutorial is an absolute classic (link at end of this post). I was surprised to see there are new uploads, so I need to revisit.

There's even a comment by Tim Pierce from 5 years ago, one of my other favourite guitar tutors on Youtube. 

Yeah lots of playing at start then a breakdown of the phrases with explanations which is how I normally teach. 

But they have a donation page but do people pay donations to keep a channel like this running? Or would you be a patreon or buy a one off transcription? Or only if it’s free ?
  • dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    I like tab ,
    Tab on screen with the video or downloadable? 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23106
    andy_k said:
    There are a few, I started out with Steve Stein, but I think anyonecanplay guy is very good, it must be difficult for them with copyright stuff these days, and in a wider vein I have recently started watching Guy Mitchelomore for his theory lessons, he has a compelling style which is a bit wearing after a while, but makes stuff fun.
    Well if I've learned nothing else from this thread, it's that former newsreader Guy Michelmore is now a film and TV composer!  I had no idea, that's absolutely fascinating.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2204
    Philly_Q said:
    andy_k said:
    Well if I've learned nothing else from this thread, it's that former newsreader Guy Michelmore is now a film and TV composer!  I had no idea, that's absolutely fascinating.

I'm following that Guy :)  as I'm more interesting in composing than just guitar playing these days.
    I also like Jeff Schneider, although he seems to be producing less output these days.

It's not a competition.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23106
    I'm too lazy to ever practice or try to learn anything new, but I sometimes watch Ben Eller's clips because I find him entertaining and he covers musical styles I like.  Teaching-wise he explains things in ways I can understand, even if it doesn't inspire me to actually go and pick up a guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4211
    I like tab ,
    Tab on screen with the video or downloadable? 
    On screen is always a bonus I have someone I follow on Patreon though who provides PDF’s of his covers . 
  • Logie said:
    Informative and hilarious. If only all online tutorials were like this.
    How have I not seen this feller before now? I'm usually averse to playing scales let alone learning about them......but  I tried a few out after watching this vid and found it all rather good. At the least, I've found notes above the seventh fret that I didn't know before.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2612
    I've been looking at Dave Price quite a lot recently because he's a good player and he's covering territory I'm interested in both on the rhythm and solo side.  Sometimes I think his explanations could be clearer but I think that's true of just about all Youtube teachers.  They are still an invaluable resource and I'm grateful for them.

I do like tab on a teaching video, it can clarify stuff that isn't as well communicated by the video as it might be.  In fact playing a piece at normal speed, and then slowed down with tab on screen is maybe the most efficient way of teaching a part.

I'm even happier with standard notation but fully understand why it's much less common.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4253
    ...and of course Justin 
    You should try his live clinics...

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9612
    @dean111music - are you going to start your own channel then mate ?

Do you have any samples of videos thus far ?