Jacob Collier Tiny Desk Concert

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    edited August 2020
    boogieman said:
    For me Jacob is always better with the video turned off, he tries too hard to be eccentric with the exaggerated mannerisms and stupid clothes. Undeniably a fantastic musical talent though, he reminds me of Lewis Taylor a bit. 
    Having attended a workshop by him. I can testify that he is genuinely like that in real life. He is naturally full of the energy which makes him seem eccentric and exaggerated. No comment on the clothes though, haha.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    I don't find it soulless and I am a fan of Jacob but I don't listen to him in large chunks.
    There is a cheesiness to how he presents what he does- it all feels a bit 'teen', which given his age is probably appropriate- it just isn't for me.

I'll be interested to see if he becomes a bit more serious about his presentation later in his career.
    He is undeniably a musical genius and his enthusiasm is infectious.

I do listen to Snarky Puppy- which its the same level of musical complexity but presented with gravitas, and dare I say it, a bit cooler.
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    edited August 2020
    Funny, this being bumped, as my comment on page 1(exactly a year ago), and my feelings about this, have completely changed.

I enjoyed that particular video, and i've since watched it a few times, but remember at the time trying to find others on YT, and they all left me cold. Now I literally cannot watch that Tiny Desk Concert video either, and everything in it, everything and everyone, annoys the shit out of me. Initially, it was a joy to watch and listen to, but now the sheer pretentiousness of it all has made it too unbearable.

I really would like to hear more of him just playing the Piano though, but it seems he can't shut his face long enough for me to enjoy that.

• LitterickLitterick Frets: 639
    I used to think he was insufferable, but discovering Snarky Puppy gave me some perspective.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • althyalthy Frets: 92

God snarky puppy is truly unexplainable to me. It is a group with immense potential
     but seemingly no idea how to use it to connect with music
    I get that it is meant to be happy and playful but they stay so far away from deep melody and sound so processed I just can't stand it.
    Like a festival band made of berklee students.
    Well at least it exists and I am sure they do it sincerly.

• Tex MexicoTex Mexico Frets: 1196
    I mean, so, I don't even begin to get jazz. Leaves me cold. That's fine, I don't need to like it.

Here's the thing, though. I am a musician, and in the same way I can admire the skill of someone like Michael Angelo Batio while also not being arsed in the slightest about his music, it fairly leaps out of the video that Jacob Collier is some kind of savant-level talent.

That's not the case for everyone mentioned in the thread, clearly, but I'm always taken aback at the ire that gets aimed at this kind of stuff, this sort of attitude that the moment something rises above a certain level of apparent complexity it necessarily becomes wankery for wanking's sake, and how literally personal it gets. Ooh, he's not making a "cool" face. Ooh, his clothes are eccentric. Oooh, he looks like he's having fun. Oooh, he want to a music school rather than slumming it in a practice room that stunk of piss. What a prick.

I don't know if it's particularly British, but the British sure do seem to have a lot of it. It's like we can't quite stomach musical talent if it didn't emerge spontaneously from the grubby paws of some gang of northern chavs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    Haven’t watched this yet and only really heard of this guy from YouTube videos where he’s explaining music theory and song structures but he’s one of the first people I’ve ever actually managed to learn theory from. He has a knack for describing complex ideas to idiots like me really easily. 
    Yes, I was quite taken with his "five levels" video on harmony.  He's such a unique talent and I admire his ability to be both relentless but also (apparently) good-natured in his musical pursuits.
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    Whatever his merits or demerits, surely we can agree on one redeeming feature, which is that he’s nothing like Jamie Callum. 
    edited August 2020
    Redlester said:
    Whatever his merits or demerits, surely we can agree on one redeeming feature, which is that he’s nothing like Jamie Callum. 
    Jamie Cullum was my gateway to jazz when I was 11. Keep going guys. Hahahahha. 
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    edited August 2020
    I really quite like his voice.  I wasn't overawed by the acoustic guitar tapping and I found the second song more enjoyable than the first.  I don't understand why people have to be so proactive in their criticism of the content though...If it's not your thing that's 100% fine.

It's a bit like that Eric Gayles and Beth Hart thread, I wasn't in to it but I just refrained from commenting rather than voice my disapproval in such a fashion that may upset people who did enjoy it.

I can see why people found that self indulgent and as a show off and at the beginning of the third song where he was tapping the sides of the piano etc I did start to roll my eyes but I think he's trying to have a bit of fun rather than being a show off.

• What an amazing talented bunch of musicians , great compositions and arrangements but It’s bloody awful and made me want to punch myself in the face , and that was before he got a ukulele out ,id sooner listen to Alessi brothers or the Bellamy brothers or modern jazz quartet .

alessi brothers 

https://youtu.be/jXbB_h6Rjds
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I bought a thing called a zoom ps02 , (I think) early 2000’s 3 or 4 track pal sized multitrack, thevdemo track on it was by the alessi brothers , id not heard of them since this 70s song which haunted the airwaves in the summers along with tracks off rumours , hotel California, the long run , etc
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7290
    Yeah I don't get him at all. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • althyalthy Frets: 92
    I bought a thing called a zoom ps02 , (I think) early 2000’s 3 or 4 track pal sized multitrack, thevdemo track on it was by the alessi brothers , id not heard of them since this 70s song which haunted the airwaves in the summers along with tracks off rumours , hotel California, the long run , etc
    oddly brilliant song
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Slight necrobump on this one. My friend seems to be somewhat obsessed by Jacob Coliier. I think more to do with his thoughts on music theory etc.

I've only really started listening to him this week, I listened to his most recent album and initial impressions its not for me.

I think Jacob is clearly a talented individual, and I have no issue with his bright clothes or positive attitude. Its also really heartening to see somebody so enthused about music theory. He's a fantastic teacher, more so than the legions of hyper fast guitarists. I know Herbie Hancock and Steve Vai are huge fans of him, so he must be pretty talented. 

I think its a gift , that we have somebody as talented as he is making waves.
     He could be an arrogant, self aggrandizing prick but instead he is sharing his talent. See Malmsteen etc 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    @DrJazzTap His latest album was nominated for 2021 Grammys album of the year, but I can appreciate that it isn't for everyone. In fact, I think the industry is surprised that he was nominated as his music is an acquired taste.

His catalogue is wide and varies quite alot. The last album, Djesse Vol. 2 was much more restrained, so might be worth checking out:

• CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    Branshen said:
    @DrJazzTap His latest album was nominated for 2021 Grammys album of the year, but I can appreciate that it isn't for everyone. In fact, I think the industry is surprised that he was nominated as his music is an acquired taste.

His catalogue is wide and varies quite alot. The last album, Djesse Vol. 2 was much more restrained, so might be worth checking out:

"Lua" is such a great song, complex and chill in all the right ways.  I don't disagree with the op, but songs like "Lua" give him a pass on his more indulgent pieces.

High praise, I know, from a guy incapable of composing a piece at all.