Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fender’s American Professional series discontinued?

What's Hot

Comments

• crunchman said:
    Babones said:
    So, persisting with 'V-mod' pickups and possibly changing some colours. If the Am Pro range wasn't popular (always my suspicion), then this won't really change anything.

Why buy something like that when you can buy pretty much the same thing from the Mexican range?

I can understand going for the American Original as it has a nitro finish, which I din't think you can get on a Mexican guitar, but the American Pro doesn't have anything that would make me buy it in preference to the Mexican equivalent.
    i was similarly sceptical if I'm honest, though I did try a Jazzmaster in a local shop back when they were released and the neck felt absolutely great, really surprisingly so.  Beyond any american standard or Mex equivalent I've played over the years. 

Pickups are shite though, so swings and roundabouts 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10072
    crunchman said:
    Babones said:
    So, persisting with 'V-mod' pickups and possibly changing some colours. If the Am Pro range wasn't popular (always my suspicion), then this won't really change anything.

Why buy something like that when you can buy pretty much the same thing from the Mexican range?

I can understand going for the American Original as it has a nitro finish, which I din't think you can get on a Mexican guitar, but the American Pro doesn't have anything that would make me buy it in preference to the Mexican equivalent.
    I tend to agree. Sure the American Pro will use better materials and hardware but it’s the old diminishing returns thing isn’t it? Mexican Fenders, in my experience, are perfectly decent, capable, giggable instruments. They are mostly let down by a poor choice of colours. 
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • HAL9000 said:
    crunchman said:
    Babones said:

I tend to agree. Sure the American Pro will use better materials and hardware but it’s the old diminishing returns thing isn’t it? Mexican Fenders, in my experience, are perfectly decent, capable, giggable instruments. They are mostly let down by a poor choice of colours. 
    I'm in the same boat, the AO and American Ultra lines make sense as there are features and specs that you can't get below their price point. If I just wanted a straight ahead no frills strat, a Performer series would do the job just fine.
  • Unfortunately, the Pro Jazzmaster doesn't really have Jazzmaster pickups, which put me off. I went for a Road Worn Jazzmaster instead. 
  • With the new neck heel contour these version 2 american pro's seem to have overall they look very similar to the mexican deluxe roadhouse in terms of a modern strat. I'm not sure I'd make the jump at the double the price, that roadhouse felt great.
  • crunchman said:
    Babones said:

i was similarly sceptical if I'm honest, though I did try a Jazzmaster in a local shop back when they were released and the neck felt absolutely great, really surprisingly so.  Beyond any american standard or Mex equivalent I've played over the years. 

Pickups are shite though, so swings and roundabouts 
    Agreed. I bought AM Pro Jazzmaster, replaced pickups with Mojo, job done.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 4126
    edited September 2020
    The specs of the Am Pro series suit me perfectly: narrow tall frets, medium C neck etc. I just can't justify spending £1500 on a production line guitar which I could assemble a better version of for under a grand, or just get a Mex, like people have said. Too expensive. I love Fender as a brand, but they do take the piss. The fact that you can knock together a partscaster yourself means they're not an aspirational product that I'd be prepared to pay top dollar for. Masterbuilts are fantastic in my experience, but then you could buy a car for that money.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2161
    I’ve never owned an American Fender. I keep thinking I should. But the last time I almost did. I tried a brilliant Am Special Strat. Before that it was a FSR AMerican Vintage Deluxe 62 which was a 62 Strat with modern radius, frets and Am Deluxe electronics. They were in the catalog for 5 mins in 2005.

From what I have gathered. Are the pickups on these dreadful? 
  • ZenOvertoneZenOvertone Frets: 235
    edited September 2020
    The prices are mad at 1500 for the Am Pro (although I do like the slightly deeper neck and narrow tall frets they have), I bought two 2014 60th anniversary neck plate US Standards in 2015, one for £799 and one for £699 new in the 70s style cases (different stores in competition online), both with custom shop pickups as stock.  Gone over to the dark side (Suhr) now, expensive yes but no mods required at all to them, perfect out of the gig bag(!).  
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12886
    Looks nothing like a tele has a strat neck and two humbuckers, who do they think they are kidding..  : )
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8629
    Nike man has said that a 3/4 year life cycle is what they’re aiming for, a new model launch gives a big lift in sales - this will be lightly breathed on changes but gives the opportunity for launch /PR etc 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25099
    I think it's about time they went back to the American Standard name.  It doesn't sound silly or pretentious and gives a very clear indication of where they sit in Fender's vast (too vast?) range.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm starting to think that they might be offering too many similar guitars at lower price points thats hitting the sales of the AM PRO/US Standard model.

I remember saving all my pocket money for years to afford a US standard as a Teenager back in 2005. The quality difference between the MIM and US guitars back then seamed a much bigger jump. Now if I didn't know what was what I think I would struggle to tell them apart. 

• There is a blur between the lines and now I think.

I recently scored a very good deal on a used American Original Strat and had to let the Mexican Roadhouse go. The decision was purely down to me liking the fatter neck of the AO, and I was back and forth between the two actively looking for an obvious reason to split them apart. Quality wise there was nothing in it at all.
  • Just go back to American Standard. It makes way more sense. 
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2572
    Whitecat said:
    I've just had that too - can't say as the prices are particularly appealing mind.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8629
    edited September 2020
    I agree with going back to the American Standard - I think just a much more provocative name.

This is what I’d do, using Strat as example:
    Give it a neck that’s fatter than modern C but a little less even tapered than the deep C.
    Give it a 6 screw trem.
    Modern but non locking tuners ok.
    Thinner poly urethane finish - still way too thick, Warmoth manage to get a nice thin modern finish.
    Sweet pickups with slightly hotter bridge single coil.
    Classic colours (oly white, fiesta red, lake placid blue etc) with FSR runs on more exotic stuff.
    Make it so that it doesn’t weigh a metric tone.
    2-piece alder bodies should be expected at this price point especially on sunburst and trans finishes.

Basically, a no nonsense, no fanfare but great quality instrument please.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • dindude said:
    I agree with going back to the American Standard - I think just a much more provocative name.

This is what I’d do, using Strat as example:
    Give it a neck that’s fatter than modern C but a little less even tapered than the deep C.
    Give it a 6 screw trem.
    Modern but non locking tuners ok.
    Thinner poly urethane finish - still way too thick, Warmoth manage to get a nice thin modern finish.
    Sweet pickups with slightly hotter bridge single coil.
    Classic colours (only white, fiesta red, lake placid blue etc) with FSR runs on more exotic stuff.
    Make it so that it doesn’t weigh a metric tone.
    2-piece alder bodies should be expected at this price point especially on sunburst and trans finishes.

Basically, a no nonsense, no fanfare but great quality instrument please.
    Amen on all that, starting with the name. American standard is perfectly fine.

In fairness and although I would prefer a 6 point, I can see why they would want to keep the two point trem, especially since the mex guitars have it now. Good shout on the steel block too.

Do all the classic colours, with rosewood or maple for each. A no-nonsense strat but with a more premium feel through thinner finish, better quality hardware, rolled edges, great pickups, etc.

To be honest (and no disrespect at all to anyone here who owns one or loves them), but trying an American professional strat a couple of years ago was probably the most underwhelming experience I've had in a shop. There was nothing in it that made me think it was a £1300 instrument, as opposed to a MIM or MIJ one. Bland as hell.
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!