Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

nine's

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16312
Probably they should but do they?

For teh users of both 9s and 10s on their guitars.........do the nines break more easily/often?
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I don't think so personally. Not had many cases of string breakage. 9's are under less tension at the same pitch as 10's so I don't think it makes much difference what gauge you are using.

Breakages are normally caused by binding at the tuning peg or bridge. Very rarely the string itself.
  • No - but I don’t have a heavy right hand. I bend ‘a lot’ and can’t remember when I last broke a string.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    No.
    Only thing I don't like about 9s is they're too bendy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I break 9s and 10s about as often as each other, if that helps but I'm a recent convert to 9s on the whole.

9s on Strat/Tele Fender scale. 10s on 335 and Les Paul. Thinking of going 9s on the Gibson-y ones as well but I'd expect that to be too sloppy. Maybe 9.5s  =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I had a D string on a set of 9s break once. It went with such a bang that initially I thought the bridge had snapped.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1065
    I break 9s and 10s about as often as each other, if that helps but I'm a recent convert to 9s on the whole.

9s on Strat/Tele Fender scale. 10s on 335 and Les Paul. Thinking of going 9s on the Gibson-y ones as well but I'd expect that to be too sloppy. Maybe 9.5s  =)
    Try 9-46, they feel good to me
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5529
    nope
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2504
    9-46 on a Tele and Strat feel rigght to me 10-46 on gibbos and all others
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74482
    Standard sets of 9s feel weird to me because the B is too light (11, should be a 12) and the G is too heavy (16, should be a 15). I’ve never understood why they’re like that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10072
    I use 9s on most of my guitars with no issues. Last two strings I actually remember breaking were both 10s but that turned out to due to be a rough spot on a bridge saddle - I almost never break strings so two high Es in quick succession on the same guitar raised my suspicions.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    edited September 2020 tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Standard sets of 9s feel weird to me because the B is too light (11, should be a 12) and the G is too heavy (16, should be a 15). I’ve never understood why they’re like that.
    D'Addario balanced tension string sets are the solution. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    D'Addario balanced tension string sets are the solution. 
    Agreed. Been using the XL120BT for about a year and they are perfect
  • I just play 9-46 on everything and try to get better at playing the thing, rather than agonising on this kind of stuff.
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:

* Hamer SS2 & T62
    * Music Man Luke 1

Please drop me a message.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I doubt that the delicate girly hands of a player that chooses to use 9's, would have the strength to actually break a string, so I reckon it should be fine.
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I've used 9s for 30 years.  Rarely break if ever. 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    CloudNine said:
    I doubt that the delicate girly hands of a player that chooses to use 9's, would have the strength to actually break a string, so I reckon it should be fine.
    Some of those girly hands make a lot of money
  • roberty said:
    CloudNine said:
    I doubt that the delicate girly hands of a player that chooses to use 9's, would have the strength to actually break a string, so I reckon it should be fine.
    Some of those girly hands make a lot of money
    Absolutely. There will always be a market for hand-jobs. 
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2531
    Yes, nines break more often. Unless gigging[1], I play through my high E strings. They break from fatigue where they have abraded over a fret. Tens are a bit thicker, the same process takes slightly longer, and I can do more two-tone bends on the high E before it pings.

[1]:cry:

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4268
    I settled on 9.5’s, yes, I am that awkward
  • Nines here, I break em occasionally but I bend the fuck out of them sometimes