Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Undercover Guitar Deliveries...

What's Hot
FuengiFuengi Frets: 2851
Mrs F's big birthday this week and with Lockdown 2.0 it means loads and loads of deliveries incoming all week at Chez Fuengi.

One of which was a LP Jr from GSPBASSES but as she was under strict instructions to avoid the studio she hasn't clocked it yet and there were no awkward questions about what was in the box!

However, this doesn't beat a mate's story...  A few years ago he had a meeting up in London before Christmas and then went for a few afternoon drinks.

His wife had tasked him with buying a ukulele for one of the kids for Christmas so he decided to nip into Denmark Street. He got the uke and came out of the shop, saw a Gibson 175 in white in the window and went straight back in and bought it for himself. An expensive few pints! 

He got the train back to Hampshire, walked to the office carrying both ukulele and the Gibson and left them in his office. 

Christmas is approaching and he wrapped up the uke for his kid and wondered what to do with the Gibson as bringing it home was probably not going to go down particularly well right before the big day. 

He decided to wrap it up with a note to himself and stuck it under the Christmas tree at home on Xmas Eve! Apparently it got a raised eyebrow from the Mrs but no more than that!  =)

Any more ingenious ways to sneak a guitar in to the house that you can share? 
5reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    edited November 2020
    No need. My wife has no idea that I bought a Harley Benton TE-52 NA. The delivery came, and I took the box upstairs, my wife saw it - didn't even ask. I had a guitar in a case on the floor, and put that on a new shelf I had put up.  When I unpacked it the HB is openly on a stand. When my wife came in she said 'oh that's so much tidier'.  She has no interest in my guitars and wouldn't know one from another - bless her! 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Or blokes could just behave like adults and communicate with their significant others about what they'd like to spend their money on.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 24reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 7024
    I dont negotiate with terrorists so I’d buy the guitar and walk in loud and proud. 

For this reason I have remained single. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    16reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    You need to keep your females in line.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20601
    ^ Spoken like a true Ferengi.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've found that just talking about it for a bit helps. I just quietly bring it home and put it with the others.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• I am in the curious position where Mrs 001 likes me trying and buying guitars. 

I think I convinced her that unless I accidentally damage them, then they can be resold and are not too much of a financial drain.

She is also of the mind that it is good to be happy.

That all sounds a bit too smug.
  • I've had somewhat the opposite scenario recently.

I ordered a gig bag for a build project, which arrived in a cardboard edge shaped guitar box. I immediately got grilled on whether I had ordered another bloody Ibanez guitar as that was the branding on the box.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My wife is generally supportive but every time asks "What does this one do that the others don't?"

Well, er...

I don't really need to justify it but the key to feeling guilt free is knowing you can easily sell them on. And if you buy second hand it's a doddle.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3810

A few years back I purchased a Parker Dragonfly from Sounds Great in Manchester.  Sneaked it home and placed it in the middle of the rack.  A few weeks later I took the family on a weekend trip to London.  Train down, favourite suite at the Gore in Kensington, eating out, London Eye, shops and museums etc.  No change from a grand for two nights.

We get to Denmark St and my wife says "you've had your annual bonus (bonus was 5 figures). If you want a guitar, why don't you get one?".  I reply "Thanks, but I've already bought it".  From her reaction you'd have thought that I'd just announced that I'd been having an affair with her best friend.  Totally unreasonable.

I’ve learned my lesson, now I keep stum.

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1080
    A white 175 for Xmas? Is your mate George Thorogood, or is he just bad to the bone? ;) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2851
    Redlester said:
    A white 175 for Xmas? Is your mate George Thorogood, or is he just bad to the bone? ;) 
    Definitely the latter! 
    Or blokes could just behave like adults and communicate with their significant others about what they'd like to spend their money on.
    I admit to being shallow, but I do find a certain level of harmless mischievousness entertaining. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2374
    it's easy enough to get away with it.

1.Don't put it on show immediately, stick it in a case - if it's a new case put it a the bottom/far side of your case stash.
    2.Rotate your guitars around so that the ones in cases get put on stands every few weeks.  during one of the reshuffles put in on a stand. 
    3.She'll notice it at some point but by then you've had it for a while and can just proclaim it isn't new.

This only works if you have a few guitars, and it helps if they are shaped similarily.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11978
    edited November 2020 tFB Trader
    My wife is generally supportive but every time asks "What does this one do that the others don't?"

Well, er...

I don't really need to justify it but the key to feeling guilt free is knowing you can easily sell them on. And if you buy second hand it's a doddle.
    Funny how the boot is so rarely on the other foot

What does this handbag/pair of shoes do that the other ones don't?

What do you mean you can't wear or be seen in the same dress twice ....you're not a film star or member of the royal family with paparazzi and gossip columnists following you and criticising your every clothing choice

You spent how much having a beauty treatment/getting your hair done/getting your nails done
    (i was dating a beauty therapist for 12 years and men have NO IDEA how much women spend on treatments)

Or blokes could just behave like adults and communicate with their significant others about what they'd like to spend their money on.
    I agree with you, but then women may have to do the same - see above

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• daveyhdaveyh Frets: 702
    My other half is a serious music fan, she doesn't play but knows about guitars.  She noticed I had new saddles on my tele the other week. No wool over the eyes here.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    My wife is generally supportive but every time asks "What does this one do that the others don't?"

Well, er...

Funny how the boot is so rarely on the other foot

What does his handbag/pair of shoes do that the other ones don't?

What do you men you can't wear or be seen in the same dress twice ....you're not a film star or member of the royal family with paparazzi and gossip columnists following you and criticising your every clothing choice

You spent how much having a beauty treatment/getting your hair done/getting your nails done
    (i was dating a beauty therapist for 12 years and men have NO IDEA how much women spend on treatments)

I agree with you, but then women may have to do the same - see above
    This is true, she has at least three pairs of UGG boots that I am aware of. 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6938
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9129
    Mine tend to sneak in like this

Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I just have one guitar case, all new guitars enter the house in said guitar case and then go into my little guitar storage area which the missus doesn’t go in.