Tubescreamer and RV6 Reverb. Natural next addition?

What's Hot
Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 608
edited February 2021 in FX
To justify the postage cost (!) I am thinking of adding a pedal. I would like to explore individual pedals rather than multi FX this time and am looking towards the , shall we say, affordable section of the market. All my old patch cables have vanished so to use the effects loop have to order new ones, and a power supply etc.

Watched JHS's video on Behringer pedals and the analogue circuits look quite up my alleyway. Joyo are also in contention. TC Electronic as a step up but seem to get mixed reviews.

So. I already have an Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer from the 90s (had since new and am surprised at the state of the prices used and new now) and a Boss RV 6 reverb. Thinking Delay would be a good next step?

Never been sure about chorus............ Never really used chorus enough to know if I would like it or not.

In terms of highish gains I am fairly happy with the Peavey's high gain setting as with a nudge from the TS9 that gets nice. But, don't have a real distortion pedal. An 808 clone be interesting as well?

Drive pedals: So, so many....................

In the past I never went much further than reverb so am shooting in the dark. Hence Behringer and Joyo to see what I like and maybe later save up for something "better" if I feel I like the idea of it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    What sort of music do you play ? 

A TS9 and a 808 almost identical circuits, so you wouldn't see much difference there. 
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 608
    Whatever I can basically. Normally I keep it fairly clean but am wanting to try some new things. Small kids and the usual limit my ability to play much.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72410
    Big Muff.

You need to try the less polite end of the distortion spectrum :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I think delay is a good idea. If you get something like the TC Electronic Flashback, you’ll have all the delay sounds you need plus a looper which can be great for practice.
    edited February 2021
    ICBM said:
    Big Muff.

You need to try the less polite end of the distortion spectrum .

Last EHX pedal I had in the 2000s went pop entertainingly!

And the Peavey Studio Pro is great. Absolutely happy with it.
    I think delay is a good idea. If you get something like the TC Electronic Flashback, you’ll have all the delay sounds you need plus a looper which can be great for practice.

I have been investigating youtube reviews for delay. Costs must be kept low for this go around though. There are some cheaper TC Electronic analogue delay pedals like the Echobrain? Simple is good for me and i do like limiations to work around.
  • ICBM said:
    Big Muff.

You need to try the less polite end of the distortion spectrum :).
    Muffs stack well with tubescreamers too, and get you a sound that's more polite than the TS, but not as rude as a Muff by itself.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• DD7 or DD8. Coz where is your delay!?!

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    DD7 or DD8. Coz where is your delay!?!

Delayed one mile south of Cirencester.
    Having a little think about it. Maybe delay and some form of fuzz............ And noise.

Digital or analogue delay? hmm. I like the idea of analogue.

Yeah hardly anything listed used locally and what is is at essentially new prices. So that is why looking at new but budget.
  • The Flashback and the Boss DD8 both offer modulated delays, in some ways more usable than chorus/ other modulations as you get all that sparkly shimmer without smothering your core sound. Then all the other delay stuff they can do and you can dip a toe in the water of looping with them as well.   
    The Joyo Aquarius would be a cheaper option with much the same delay types, seems to be well loved although misses some of the noise making options of the tc and Boss. 

I think one of the nicest pedals to get is a tremolo and it's a pedal type where going cheap as chips isn't a problem. Probably not going to be a companion for the high gain channel of your Peavey but rediscover the delights of clean with tremolo and a selection from your RV6. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/200077/fs-keeley-recino-delay-70#latest

I have a Keeley Recino you can have for £65 delivered, nice and simple to use.
  • You have the best chance of maximizing happiness with the fuzz.

If fuzz not floating your boat and you are set on analog delay, Ibanez AD9 Mini, or slightly cheaper Mooer Ana Echo. Which reminds me, if you are looking at budget pedals, Mooer are unbeatable. My top picks are Black Secret (Rat clone) and E-Lady (Electric Mistress).

If you want dirt but not fuzz, discount the 808 as very similar to your TS9. I would recommend trying Boss. The SD1 is unbelievably good at £55, or for warmer tones and great stacking with the TS9 try the BD2 (bit more expensive but lovely).

Muffs stack well with tubescreamers too, and get you a sound that's more polite than the TS, but not as rude as a Muff by itself.
    Or stack them the other way round and get a *very* rude sound :).

The Boss DS-1 is worth trying too - it’s quite an uncompromising sound, but a lot more useful than it’s often given credit for, and also works very well with a Tube Screamer.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited February 2021
    ICBM said:

Or stack them the other way round and get a *very* rude sound .

The Boss DS-1 is worth trying too - it’s quite an uncompromising sound, but a lot more useful than it’s often given credit for, and also works very well with a Tube Screamer.

I do like Boss pedals and the simple ones seem interesting. So, DS1 is more of a true distortion sound? Still more classic rock/pop than metal? Maybe more of a difference than with the SD1 compared to the TS9? I mean the last pedal I bought was the RV6 and that was 4 years ago I think!

I had the OS2 once when I was little in the late 90s. Sometimes think about getting another one. But it is a little limited in scope as trying to do two things at once.

And maybe start saving up for a Boss DD7 or 8 delay pedal and the esoteric weirdness of EHX.

I am selling off quite a bit of kit at the moment so looking to expand this side a little.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12389
    Joyo tremolo at the end and a caline puffer fuzz before the Tubescreamer would be my vote. Delay doesn’t really do it for me but I don’t play much high gain stuff. 
  • I recommend a flanger, I recently started using mine again after I discovered it could do much more than the ‘jet engine’ sound - it can do chorus and detuned sounds, great for arpeggios, some Smiths type stuff, and is really responsive to the guitars volume level too.
    Jetsam1 said:

So, DS1 is more of a true distortion sound? Still more classic rock/pop than metal? Maybe more of a difference than with the SD1 compared to the TS9?
    Yes. It's not actually that high gain, and very much the classic bright 'distortion' sound.

Jetsam1 said:

I had the OS2 once when I was little in the late 90s. Sometimes think about getting another one. But it is a little limited in scope as trying to do two things at once.
    It's a great pedal exactly because it blends the two sounds in parallel, which is something that can't be done with two individual pedals (without using a LS-2, anyway).

They do seem to vary a bit though! I've owned about half a dozen of them trying to chase the elusive sound I remember from my first one. I've got one now that seems pretty close.

edited February 2021
    I think I have discovered a rabbit hole....................

Maybe we will go basic first! And then build up............ Going to look at Boss SD1 and DS1 as good solid basic dirt to complement the TS9, and maybe the Behringer VD400 to get started. And then start saving a bit to start investigating the higher end stuff.

Oh and patch cables etc.............. I had loads before the last house move.... o

Or as ICBM mentioned the OS2.... I think it is still available... And one sort of local and used..... 45 pounds or so. Seems too much?
    I wouldn't bother with the SD-1 if you've got a Tube Screamer. They're not the same, but they're close enough that you won't really gain anything by having both.