Bands & Artists Had Groupies

What's Hot
In the late 60s and 70s through to the early 80s.
It died out as a thing when HIV & AIDS hit the world.
Did female artists and  bands have groupies or were they just called stalkers and sex pests?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17626
    tFB Trader
    Pretty sure it didn't die out.

Look for all the "sensitive" emo bands who have been in the press for abusing underage girls etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12375
    It definitely hasn’t died out, I know a lady who is into offering sexual favours to band members, just so she can boast about who she’s had to her friends. (And before the comments start, you’d need to be a reasonably well known name before you’ll get any interest from her. ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4139
    boogieman said:
    It definitely hasn’t died out, I know a lady who is into offering sexual favours to band members, just so she can boast about who she’s had to her friends. (And before the comments start, you’d need to be a reasonably well known name before you’ll get any interest from her. ;)
    Good for her!
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7181
    Pretty sure Janice Joplin was known for enjoying private time with groupies . Slightly more recently the Go Go’s too
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16296
    There’s a documentary about the Go Go’s on Sky Arts. 
    All I know about them is from the book Ska’d for Life when they toured with The Specials and co wrote Our Lips Are Sealed, one of them ( Jane?) was going out with Terry Hall. The Go Go’s put Lips out in the USA and the Fun Boy Three used it in the U.K. 

My only vague story about groupies was going to see The Cult. We were seated almost at the side of the stage and could see behind the back drop. At one point this group of ‘rock chicks’ were lined up and then disappeared off backstage at the end of the set. Could have been the caterers for all I knew really! 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    Pretty sure that female bands didn't ever get the same attention as male bands.

I think it's to do with the power of the figure on stage, and due to historical conditioning women are more likely to be in awe of the chest beating prowess of men than vice versa. I could be talking bollox ....
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4139
    ^ you are, because I’d absolutely be a groupie for St. Vincent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12349
    I know a girl who claimed to have shagged Bobby Gillespie under the pier at Brighton, Although why you'd boast about doing somebody with the charisma and complexion of a dead grey fish I don't know. It could have actually been a fish?
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12375
    edited March 2021
    I’ve tried a few times with Susan Boyle and Jane Macdonald but never made the shortlist. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12349
    I done a 3 way with Michelle McManus and Rick Waller, the juice was flyin' that night, oooowheee!!!
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    I did The Nolans.
    Women are more discerning, blokes'll shag anything.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16102
    II 'm getting on a bit so it would have to be Dolly Parton for me these days but Grace Jones was wild and intimidating back in the day and Sylvester gave me quite a nasty shock
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6686
    I know a girl who claimed to have shagged Bobby Gillespie under the pier at Brighton, Although why you'd boast about doing somebody with the charisma and complexion of a dead grey fish I don't know. It could have actually been a fish?
    I'm guessing the tide was high at the time. May have been a seal. Or a seagull. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I shagged that bird from Hanson once. 
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gazrichardsgazrichards Frets: 691
    edited March 2021
    As someone who worked as touring guitar tech in the late 90s to early 00s. Groupies were very much still in existence then - in a rather ridiculous manner actually!!!!

We did a show at that big rock club in Dudley (I always forget it’s name). The stage was above the green room and obviously the band were all in there before me as I was packing up guitars etc. I walk down the stairs expecting to see 5 men getting changed and I witnessed what was the early throngs of an orgy - middle aged rockers and chubby West Midlands women aren’t my thing so I carried on loading the van!
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4918
    edited March 2021
    Sassafras said:
    I did The Nolans.
    I used to deliver their weekly copies of Bunty, Judy and Jackie comics.  They knew what they were up to, I had to beat them off with a shitty stick.

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11785
    Wisdom.

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11785
    I shagged that bird from Hanson once. 

You are the dreamer, and the dream...