Just tried a DS1 for the very first time

What's Hot

Comments

• GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3613

I'm a home/hobby guitar player though and it's probably easier to get decent sounds when you don't need to think about how it works with other instruments.
    And of course, very few 'lush bedroom sounds' work on loud gigs - where a lot of these 'spiky/unpleasant' sounds rule.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    Greatape said:

I'm a home/hobby guitar player though and it's probably easier to get decent sounds when you don't need to think about how it works with other instruments.
    And of course, very few 'lush bedroom sounds' work on loud gigs - where a lot of these 'spiky/unpleasant' sounds rule.

Context is important. Probably why you get so many different answers when asking about the "best" bit of gear.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    Apart from John Frusciante, I don't really listen to those other players.
    Maybe it's their DS1 sound that puts me off.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I have my DS-1 set so in to a clean amp it sounds dull and lifeless, in to a bright overdriven Plexi or JCM800 the same settings give you a huge rock sound that you can't just get out of the amp without it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I think you naysayers will be convinced after quick sconce of this presentation.

5reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    I've always liked Johnny DeMarco.
    He's the funniest of the demoers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I think you naysayers will be convinced after quick sconce of this presentation.

Totally brilliant!  :astonished: 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72716

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9673
    That guy is a mad genius... and hugely prolific. I particularly like his unboxing video:

https://youtu.be/q0wFpZ7ioq8
  • That guy is a mad genius... and hugely prolific. I particularly like his unboxing video:

https://youtu.be/q0wFpZ7ioq8

Unironically subscribed. 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9673
  • DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2395
    A bazillion of these pedals have been sold (it was my first pedal), so the reality is that DS-1 is the sound of rock, as used by bedroom players and teenage bands for the last 30 years. 
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 618
    There is a Keeley modified DS1 near me popped up for sale, in local terms not a bad used price. I presume these are worth at least a try?

The mods essentially tame any fizziness and boost the mids as I understand it? Heard demos of the DS1 and it doesn`t really sound all that bad.
  • BorkBork Frets: 259
    It has a setting that makes the pedal slightly fuller and louder.  I guess it's a bit like if you put two coils into series.

[This space for rent]

• I keep getting tempted by an MXR ‘78 distortion... essentially a keely modded clone.
  • DS1 is such a weird pedal.

I had one ages ago and I couldn’t get it to sound decent with anything and sold it on.  Then later on for reasons I can’t remember I picked up another one. I’ve got a few different amps, both valve and solid state, and it sounds anything between awful and decent with all but one of them.

I have a Groove Tubes studio preamp (which is actually a full valve amp with a pair of 6v6s in) which on its own sounds rather hard and mid focused. However the DS1 into this amp sounds absolutely phenomenal to get that heavy rock crunch a’la Iron Maiden etc. I’ve got quite a selection of dirt pedals now including a few nice boutique ones and nothing gets close to what the DS1 does with this amp. It’s a match made in heaven for that kind of tone. 

Serendipitous synergy at its finest!
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7816
    I keep getting tempted by an MXR ‘78 distortion... essentially a keely modded clone.
    Make an offer on this, not like a DS-1, but the best distortion I've owned. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MXR-Super-Badass-Distortion-Mint-Great-Tube-Screamer-Blues-Driver-Alternative-/133699633101?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3098
    @ICBM Isn't the lead channel on the V-Twin supposedly based on the DS1? No wonder we both love both if true ;)
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    I used a DS-1 for years, loved it, then I found the internet forums and people told me it was a terrible pedal so I sold it, bought and sold many expensive fancy drive pedals, then came to my senses and just bought another DS-1.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    edited March 2021
    I just love the Ds-1. It always reminds me of when I started playing - when it was just about learning songs and spending my energy on playing rather than the tonal nuances of the gear. Clean amp, any distortion pedal - go. In fact, back then Boss pedals were seen as brilliant pro level gear.  It’s quite remarkable how a whole boutique industry had evolved, presumably fuelled mainly by amateurs rather than pros.  Long live Boss. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom