New Classic Vibe Esquires

What's Hot

Comments

• idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1414
    For those who don't like or "get" single pickup guitars, other options are available.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • NoiseNoise Frets: 8
    impmann said:
    As a long term player and advocate of the Telecaster, I genuinely don't understand the fascination with Esquires. For me, not having a neck pickup makes the guitar less useful and versatile. 

I understand all the flim-flam about the tone control to find those other sounds - but you can do that on a Tele *anyway* plus you can use the tone control on the other pickup settings. And no, the other sounds aren't in the tone control - you can approximate them, but rolling the tone off to near zero doesn't sound like the neck pickup and the two pickup on together chime just isn't in there. I've looked...

There's a school of thought that the neck pickup somehow affects the tone... hmmm, well, I did try an experiment once on my black 72 Tele whereby I ran it without the neck pickup for a gig to see if it made any difference. Nope. Other than I was frustrated by the lack of neck pickup for bluesier numbers and I missed the two pickup sound. A lot.

This constant clamour about single pickup guitars feels like folks making life awkward for the sake of it - and trying to make out its somehow "cooler" to have less of a tonal pallet available. If I'm honest, the first thing I'd do would to an Esquire would be to fit a neck pickup... and looking at the comments above, there was one about being hamstrung by a lack of neck pickup routing, so I'm not alone.

It maybe a fashion thing for some to want to strip things back - or maybe they only ever use the bridge pickup. Good luck to you on both counts if that applies to you. But this old fart genuinely doesn't get it - and never has done and never will. 

I used to think similarly untill I converted my Tele. The stock pickups were dire and money was super tight, so I planned to replace them a week or two apart. After a few days with just the (new) bridge pickup, I ordered an Esquire pickguard and rewired it to Esquire spec.

All I can say is it's fun. Much like an LP Jr I suppose. A great, simple, bare bones, snarling rock and blues guitar. At least for me, one of those experiences where limitations are somehow enjoyable and oddly inspiring.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    I do wonder where all these thousands of guitars are going. It's great that people love guitar but I really can't stand the fact there is limited edition slapped on everything!

Just a great marketing tool.

The original CVs were great though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1949
    I do wonder where all these thousands of guitars are going. It's great that people love guitar but I really can't stand the fact there is limited edition slapped on everything!

Just a great marketing tool.

The original CVs were great though. 
    Like Gibson's 'Collector's Choice' where only 40 different models are available...And 40,000 collectors.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    edited April 2021
    @impmann I do sort of agree, but also as a pretty bog standard rock & metal player I'm on the bridge pickup 99% of the time anyway so it doesn't bother me, I've done plenty of gigs where I never touched the pickup selector. It's the double binding that I really like though, as @Jonathangus says if there's a neck pickup route under there it opens up mod options for a double bound Tele at a reasonable price  also in a cheap guitar like this theres a high chance I'll be swapping out the pickups anyway so it's easy enough to add one when wanted if there's a route. My strat just has a bridge humbucker and it's a load of fun to play, I don't miss having the neck pickup.

As for singlespeed bikes, I love it on road bikes but not mountain bikes. Less to go wrong and most importantly forces me to put in a proper effort on the short climbs we have round here, otherwise I just sit and spin if I've got gears. Not really sure if that translates to guitar though!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2769
    I bought one last year, the surf green one.  It is a wonderfully fun guitar and tends to be the one I pick up most apart from my acoustic.  I found the range of tones sufficiently different enough that with effects / amp settings there is more than enough versatility . Great value 
  • Fresh from Lee's FB. It looks like more customer colour teles are on the way for the Esquire haters in the not too distant future:

May be an image of guitar and indoor
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • And that confirms there is no neck pickup route.
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Fresh from Lee's FB. It looks like more customer colour teles are on the way for the Esquire haters in the not too distant future:

The black one must be made for giants.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14457
    Nah. It is resting on Danish Pete's stool. Fnar, fnar!
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    The black one without the pickguard looks stunning!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4539
    The black one without the pickguard looks stunning!
    I agree.  Looks better with the pickguard off.  If only they'd thought to make it like that.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    TINMAN82 said:
    Fresh from Lee's FB. It looks like more customer colour teles are on the way for the Esquire haters in the not too distant future:

The black one must be made for giants.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    A single pickup electric guitar makes sense for Mr. Strictly-Rhythm. THINK: Malcolm Young, Rick Parfitt. It also makes sense for a lead singer who plays second guitar for a few songs in the set. ("Ready, Freddie?")

The Squier Custom Esquire could be made more versatile by installing a Fishman Powerbridge system. OTOH, that might be missing the point. 

• idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1414
    A single pickup electric guitar makes sense for Mr. Strictly-Rhythm. 

Like Leslie West and Jeff Beck?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Or me, with my 1965 Melody Maker and self-assembled Warmoth La Cabronita Especial.  =)
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7151
    It might have one pickup, but there are bags of tones in an Esquire. Some will argue better sustain, due to the lack of magnetic pull on the strings from a neck pickup.

I'll just say that I love my single pickup guitars and have a couple of Esquire style ones myself in my horde.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18823

If this is about the new Esquires. wonder why the green one is in the shot? 
    Green and orange probably only in shot to illustrate the finish colour options.
  • If this is about the new Esquires. wonder why the green one is in the shot? 
    Green and orange probably only in shot to illustrate the finish colour options.
    The telecaters you see there are from a not-yet announce run of limited edition customer colour telecasters. I am guessing that Andertons decided to shoot both the esquires and teles in one video. However, only the esquires have officially been announced yet. Wait a few days and we'll hear news of the green and orange teles.