SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

FS: Wez Venables Small bodied Archtop - "Paulette" - price drop

What's Hot

Comments

• camfcamf Frets: 1191
    Wowser!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16736
    bump.

would like to see this out in the world, so happy to consider offers that are not too cheeky
    Bump
  • thinline72thinline72 Frets: 82
    Wow this is a very beautiful guitar! And I've just got recently ES125T 3/4 that looks very similar and with similar price...

Do you know how close is it to the size of ES125T 3/4? Especially interested in the neck width (that I found a bit small for me so ).
    Forgot to add neck dimensions here

It's 43mm wide and 21mm deep at the nut.   The depth increases to 24.5mm by the 12th fret.   
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6090
    Wow this is a very beautiful guitar! And I've just got recently ES125T 3/4 that looks very similar and with similar price...

Do you know how close is it to the size of ES125T 3/4? Especially interested in the neck width (that I found a bit small for me so ).
    Is the neck width on ES125T 3/4 scaled down to match the length? Asking for a friend  ;)

Beautiful guitar Wez; reminiscent of the Gibson ES-140t but with a more useable scale length.
  • thinline72thinline72 Frets: 82
    @JezWynd I think ES125T 3/4 will be very close to the ES-140T in terms of scale length and in neck size as well.

ES125T 3/4 has a quite chunky neck with low width (39mm nut), which makes it a bit weird to play. It feels like LP or something in terms of depth, but you can still lay you thumb on strings easily like on a slim Tele neck. Overall, I found it very easy to play: smaller scale -> less strings tension, smaller frets -> less fingers stretch is required.

The only thing I'm not fan of is the width, but that's because I also play (well, at least produce some noise) acoustic and resonator, so sometimes the difference is noticeable.

Unfortunately, I wasn't lucky enough to get my hands on ES125T to try it out for comparison.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6090
    @JezWynd I think ES125T 3/4 will be very close to the ES-140T in terms of scale length and in neck size as well.

ES125T 3/4 has a quite chunky neck with low width (39mm nut), which makes it a bit weird to play. It feels like LP or something in terms of depth, but you can still lay you thumb on strings easily like on a slim Tele neck. Overall, I found it very easy to play: smaller scale -> less strings tension, smaller frets -> less fingers stretch is required.

The only thing I'm not fan of is the width, but that's because I also play (well, at least produce some noise) acoustic and resonator, so sometimes the difference is noticeable.

Unfortunately, I wasn't lucky enough to get my hands on ES125T to try it out for comparison.
    Thanks for your detailed response. The nut width on the ES-125t is 42mm, so it seems as if Gibson may have scaled the entire guitar down.
    Bump.   Might consider some trades, might consider some (not too cheeky) offers
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2248

my thoughts exactly when I saw it, 125 140 hybrid. Nice.
    edited September 2021
    Time to try to see if this can find a loving home again.   No lockdowns and I'm smack bang in the middle of the UK making try outs pretty easy.

Going to drop the asking price to £1750, which is a crazy price for this

more pics, taken today.  The checking is developing nicely, but not really showing up in pics.  Ihe lacquer has sunk in nicely.  I have tried to show the soft gloss I have on this, which I think helps it look and feel much older than it is.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5778
    I was only thinking about this one yesterday and how glad I was that the temptation wasn’t under my nose anymore  :3  <3
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    sorry :D 
  • Such a wonderful looking guitar, right up my street, I can only wait to see if my 50s gretsch will go, not a great market at tho mo tho :(
  • Like others have said, that’s a stunning looking work of art. You have magic hands sir. Hopefully will go to a loving home ASAP. 
    Bump
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5175
    Looks absolutely fantastic  <3
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Bump
    Final bump before I accept that despite all the love for it, this is too niche for this market and I should concentrate on making boring ten a penny guitars instead ;)
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27638
    WezV said:
    Final bump before I accept that despite all the love for it, this is too niche for this market and I should concentrate on making boring ten a penny guitars instead
    If you're planning on selling for ten a penny, I'll have the first 10.
    D

This *is* a niche instrument.  It's a stunning piece of work.  Lots of us - me included - can look at it and say "wow" and recognise the skill and time and effort that's gone into creating it.  It's a testament to your craftsmanship.  But it was either going to be a very quick sale - probably before you'd finished it - or was going to take a while to find the person who believes that it'll work for them, and has the cash ready, and - as you say yourself - can get to you to try it first to make sure that it really is what it want.

I really hope someone does go for it, because I'd hate for you to stop creating these wonderful things.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom