Amp for pedals 20w

What's Hot
mfinmfin Frets: 41
edited October 2021 in Amps
I'm considering buying another amp, preferably a small head, mainly to use in the house, but with potential for gigging.

An ideal scenario would be something that works well at lower vols (maybe a 5w mode?). Gotta be a tube amp.

I want it to take pedals really well, mainly for Strat blues type things, the usual kinds arrays of drive pedals pedals, Kingtone Duellist, Nobels, etc. I'd also like it to work to get my fix for rock too, using a Plexi pedal and humbucker equipped guitar, so for that think ac/dc, guns, randy rhoads etc.

I already have a really nice 1 x 12 cab so I am thinking a head so I can just swap heads when I fancy it. If a combo is a better idea that's fine too though.

Thinking £500 - £1000 and don't mind if that goes in a new or s/h direction.

I had thought a Victory Duchess might have been a candidate but it seems too powerful
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Laney Lionheart is what I've bought...again, for the umpteenth time.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • For those bands you mention, I'd be looking at one of the Marshall Studio heads.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• mfinmfin Frets: 41
    Laney Lionheart is what I've bought...again, for the umpteenth time.
    Thanks, |'ll look
  • Very impressed with my Orange Rocker 15 for taking pedals, great FX Loop too. Crunch channel will take boosts and overdrives well too and the clean channel takes anything. Low power modes as well. 
    For those bands you mention, I'd be looking at one of the Marshall Studio heads.
    Has got me thinking. I'll have a nose.
  • enjoenjo Frets: 278
    Duchess can be run in low power mode and the master volume works wonders.
    Try one if you can.
  • Easy answer this one as I brought one in June.
    go out & buy an Origin OR120H
    Fab pedal amp.
  • Set the output switch to the centre position & enjoy
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1621
    Easy answer this one as I brought one in June.
    go out & buy an Origin OR120H
    Fab pedal amp.

Yep, in fact I reckon the Origin 20 might be a better pedal platform than the Studio series. That's all I use mine for, after years of various much fancier amps, and it works great, especially if you want a vaguely Marshally flavour

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72409
    mfin said:

I had thought a Victory Duchess might have been a candidate but it seems too powerful
    Does it not have a volume control?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17632
    tFB Trader
    The Marshall Origin is a great pedal platform though the base tone is not all that special.

The 20 watt Plexi would be my pick
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6690
    edited October 2021
    I have a Hamstead Artist 20+RT but it's a combo and I'd be looking for £1500 plus shipping, if you decide to throw more cash at it. Perfect for home as it has a superb master volume, runs at 2 watts,7 watts or 20 Watts and is an excellent pedal platform.

Great for gigging too. Really versatile.. 
  • Revv D20
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    edited October 2021
    +1 on origin 20.
    Or for a bit more, but also more portable : PRS MT15. Way more clean headroom but can also get crunchy with the bright switch.
    Ignore the gain channel - it’s pants anyway ( IMO )
    ICBM said:
    mfin said:

Does it not have a volume control?
    Yes. I've only just realised it has several power modes. As you know, getting low volume when required out of some amps, even 20 watters can be difficult depending on the vol pot behaviour. Now I know it has several power modes its gone up my list again.
    Revv D20
    Not sure with this one, I wonder about long term ownership and fixability.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6719
    I love my Marshall SV20. 

Impossible to get its sound in a pedal in my opinion. What you can do is get one and get other pedals to augment it sound.

Sounds great clean and breaking up too for strat blues. 

My drive section is a Fuzz Face and a TS. 

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72409
    mfin said:

As you know, getting low volume when required out of some amps, even 20 watters can be difficult depending on the vol pot behaviour. Now I know it has several power modes its gone up my list again.
    True up to a point, but I’ve never yet found one that can’t be played quietly if you’re careful with the volume control.

In any case, it’s not related to power - you can easily have a 20W amp that’s difficult to get down to low volume and a 100W one that’s easy. Power modes are more about getting power amp overdrive when it’s turned up loud.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    mfin said:

As you know, getting low volume when required out of some amps, even 20 watters can be difficult depending on the vol pot behaviour. Now I know it has several power modes its gone up my list again.
    True up to a point, but I’ve never yet found one that can’t be played quietly if you’re careful with the volume control.

In any case, it’s not related to power - you can easily have a 20W amp that’s difficult to get down to low volume and a 100W one that’s easy. Power modes are more about getting power amp overdrive when it’s turned up loud.
    I have found that problem, hence why it was on my radar you see to not want to fall foul of it.
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    edited October 2021
    Combo not a head and a loud 10 watts (2×EL84s) but, Vox AC10 is great, has a decent master volume and takes pedals nicely.