Djent…

What's Hot
poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
…is just dubstep played on guitars!

discuss.
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1943
    I listened to some Periphery and it just didn't float my boat. Couple of half acceptable tunes but I think Mark Holcombe is a talented guy and should apply that talent to a different genre imo. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    It's ok to not comment on stuff you don't understand/like.

Let people enjoy things
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1943
    Jetfire said:

Let people enjoy things
    So you're saying we aren't entitled to an opinion then?

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Come now Djentlemen...
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Jetfire said:

Let people enjoy things
    Maybe a discussion would help me understand/like that shit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2401
    Some artists have added electronic elements so I can see the similarities, but at its core, its everyone ripping off Meshuggah in their own ways. I think a few bands have managed to put enough of their own stamp on things to pull some distance, but as with all genres and musical movements, there are what I'd call a handful of flagbearers (Tesseract, Periphery, Monuments) and then a sea of homogenous imitators who struggle to find their own sound.
    Tim
  • timmypix said:
    Some artists have added electronic elements so I can see the similarities, but at its core, its everyone ripping off Meshuggah in their own ways. I think a few bands have managed to put enough of their own stamp on things to pull some distance, but as with all genres and musical movements, there are what I'd call a handful of flagbearers (Tesseract, Periphery, Monuments) and then a sea of homogenous imitators who struggle to find their own sound.

Mostly agree with this to be honest.

Tesseract, periphery, meshuggah, monuments - all great bands that carved out a whole new genre. Great songs, catchy riffs, great vocals and excellent live (Periphery abs Meshuggah are absolutely incredible). 

Not my favourite genre by a ways, but I really enjoy some of it and it has pushed some things forward, such as how we think of rhythms and how we record instruments for rock and metal.

I think, without periphery, some of the jazzier "neo soul" type stuff, like Ichika Nito, may not be as popular as it is. That would be a shame - because they're also incredible musicians, even if I don't like the music much.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    poopot said:
    …is just dubstep played on guitars!

discuss.
    As the Weary household often resonates to the sound of dubstep, garage, jungle and their dad rock equivalents of dancehall and dub but pretty much never djent which doesn’t have the same musical roots at all then no it’s not. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I like lots of modern death and black metal. But djent stuff just doesn't do it for me. Despite liking lots of heavy music I find screamo vocals wearing (but not death metal stuff), and the dubstep like guitar riffs rather annoying. 

• I like lots of modern death and black metal. But djent stuff just doesn't do it for me. Despite liking lots of heavy music I find screamo vocals wearing (but not death metal stuff), and the dubstep like guitar riffs rather annoying. 

I go through phases of loving some technical brilliance like polyphia and periphery, then craving thrashy trivium and Metallica where the riff is (usually) much "straighter". 
  • I actually prefer bands with djent influence over straight djent tbh. Most of the djent bands, and especially periphery, don't really have that strong songs.

Also chimp spanner is a superior band name 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17637
    tFB Trader
    I think they are both forms of music which can easily descend into a genre cliche devoid of much creativity. For example the 1 string "zero" Djent parody etc.

I was watching something the other day which suggested Skrillex and the like should be referred to as "Bro Strep" to differentiate it from the genre origins with stuff like Burial which is genuinely interesting and creative.
  • Its kinda depressing how authentic this sounds

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22949
    I quite like the sound and the precision of it, but I haven't heard any djent music/songs which have really grabbed my attention.
  • I’m never sure if Sikth counts, but if they do they’re my favourite Djent band. They’re definitely a core influence in much the same way as Meshuggah 

Death of a Dead Day is probably where I’d start. The vocals are an acquired taste, personally I love them 

• I’m never sure if Sikth counts, but if they do they’re my favourite Djent band. They’re definitely a core influence in much the same way as Meshuggah 

Death of a Dead Day is probably where I’d start. The vocals are an acquired taste, personally I love them 

SIkth are great, they were around before djent though I think. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18825
    Its kinda depressing how authentic this sounds

Should it not be "Procedurally Djenterated" ?  :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5517
    What would you call a band of dentists playing this on their PRS's?

A set of djentures.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    edited January 2022
    I love Periphery and Meshuggah (and a bit of Tesseract) but the rest of this stuff doesn't really do anything for me. It all ends up blending into one. The vocals on the last Periphery album are incredible. 3:34ish onwards. Definitely not dubstep.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24374
    Devil#20 said:
    I listened to some Periphery and it just didn't float my boat. Couple of half acceptable tunes but I think Mark Holcombe is a talented guy and should apply that talent to a different genre imo. 
    Just like when Jonah Lomu was asked to play American Football for squillions of dollars because other people thought he should and other people thought they knew better.

Turns out he was very happy playing what he loved instead.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom