Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Money, status etc

What's Hot

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    edited October 2022
    Most of those cars are likely to be on finance of one sort or another (PCP or straight loan)!
    more likely leased,  money they have for a car as deposit, then monthly over 36/48
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    Lol 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    What's the point in having money if nobody knows about it?!  =)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10771
    “Buy a house you can afford to keep, and a car you can afford to lose”. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2661
    Does having a decent amount of money mean that you should outwardly project that with your house, car, clothes belongings etc? There is a pressure I think to project success to others, so many expensive cars on the road now even though we are in a nationwide financial bad state. I realize its sort of relative but it isn't unusual to see a 50k car on the drive of a pretty modest house these days, if course many of these will be leased but do you think that people in general are pressured to project? And what is it all about? I've probably not worded this very well but there you go. I sometimes feel embarrassed by the old banger 13 yr old Vauxhall with a banged door on my drive and then check myself to not be daft. It isn't important to me 99% of the time.
    For me, I couldn't give a shit what people think. If they want to blow their money on luxuries and pile up the credit to promote an image then so be it. They're not paying my bills. I'm living my life the way I want.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10771
    I have bought ten cars since 1992. 

Each one has cost more than the sum of ALL the previous ones. 

The last one cost 5k. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2853
    I love expensive cars

well to look at

so I have  2009 little Peugeot and everyone around me has BMWs, Lexuses, Audis, etc etc and some very very nice stuff too that I get to see from my window or old little car.  
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29131
    I spend most of my income on Givenchy bin liners so that the waste management operatives think well of me. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17872
    tFB Trader
    I used to work with a couple of people.

One of them had a new range rover and 911 and a big apartment overlooking the Thames. He made a point of only wearing Prada.

The other used to dress normally and make a point of mentioning his shoes were 5 years old (Vimes?).

The former had zero savings and everything was leased and was lost within a couple of months when he lost his job.

The latter was worth multiple tens of millions.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10533
    Plenty of free time and a lack of answerability to any kind of boss is the ultimate status symbol for me. If you have an expensive car and house but you can't just skip work and come to the pub when you want then how rich are you really ? 

You only get so much time, no matter how rich you are. If you can get up when you want in the morning and then work on something you love then you're a rich person. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11421
    I've spent a lot of money on travel. You can't see it, touch it or sell it on second-hand but I wouldn't swap the experiences and memories for twice what I've spent.

Spending money on travel makes you richer. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19353
    Sporky said:
    I spend most of my income on Givenchy bin liners so that the waste management operatives think well of me. 
    Gentleman 1 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12050
    edited October 2022
    ^^^ and a more well rounded person.

(going to a resort in the canary island doesn’t count)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2853
    scrumhalf said:
    I've spent a lot of money on travel. You can't see it, touch it or sell it on second-hand but I wouldn't swap the experiences and memories for twice what I've spent.

Spending money on travel makes you richer. 
    Spot on, that’s where our money goes too - great advice 
  • I’m just a bum in the gutter . My most valuable possession is my Charvel mim so cal  lol
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    I don't care a jot about what people think of me, my lifestyle or the things I own, and I have no interest in impressing anyone either. My dad even said I look like a tramp the other day! (he thinks my hair is too long).
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19353
    I’m just a bum in the gutter . My most valuable possession is my Charvel mim so cal  lol
    Budge up a bit mate,  I think we're gonna need a bigger gutter...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1413
    edited October 2022
    Yeah dont get this whole keeping up with the jones approach. Its not new, but its gone bonkers.
    Same as custom shop guitars tbh. lol.
    Mines a 2006 boxster s, 1.5 times salary house bought 2011, 2008 407 for work and daily ecomonical driving. Oh and i havent mown the lawn this year and have a nautual flowerful patch front and back which will only continue next year. Im kind of thinking, what sort of tosser mows their lawn just like leasing a 70k audi?
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10392

There's a guy who lives about ten doors down from me who has 200K plus worth of cars on his driveway. The house is worth 180K max. He already had a BMW M3 and an Audi A6, then earlier in the year a bloody Ferrari 458 appeared, and then about a month ago a BMW M2 rocked up. He's probably late twenties, so God knows what he does for a living. I'm half way in between smug twat and good luck to the guy. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8846
    Sporky said:
    Roland said:

Do you judge me for having a BMW, or for having a beaten up car?
    Yes. Also the socks. 
    I buy socks with the same practical philosophy. Half a dozen identical pairs. No problem matching them in the morning. Throw them away one by one as they wear out.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.