Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Old Black

What's Hot

Comments

• glt56glt56 Frets: 209
    Not sure if it's in drop D or double drop D, either way sounds great!  And there's lots of videos around with Neil playing it on Old Black, or his Goldtop... it seems when interviewed by Larry Cragg and talking about his Goldtop, he said something like "It's not quite as good as Old Black but it still kicks butt."  Probably just likes a change now and then - don't we all!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    bad_alice said:
    WezV said:
    a light sanding, some fake dirt, and a dip in bleach
    This is going to be such a goddamn cool LP.
    Hmmmm...re the "brass showing through" area? Now that you've dremeled it, I wonder if painting in some Humbrol brass/gold metallic enamel paint, then letting that dry before sanding it back until you're happy with the result might get closer to the outcome you're hoping for?
    To be clear, I've never done this, but a quick check online at a couple of model building threads does suggest you can sand this, in fact that's standard practice for modellists, and that might offer up the cool option of a metallic look.
    Failing that, some brass leaf might work too. Easy to glue on but obviously pretty fragile. Plus it might require a few layers of clear coat to ensure it remains intact? Not sure how that would affect the rest of the pickguard though...

Thanks so much for this thread regardless @WezV ;;;it's a joy to watch this project some together.
    that might work.  I do have some paints somewhere, i may give it a go, then re do some fake dirt.

My big challenge at the moment is getting a good visual balance between all the parts with different platings and levels of wear.  It's getting there though 
    edited October 2022
    Not managed to do much the last few days, but I did get a switch tip aged today for this

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bad_alicebad_alice Frets: 271
    WezV said:
    Not managed to do much the last few days, but I did get a switch tip aged today for this

Oh, that looks terrific! Did you do this yourself, Wez? If so any chance you'd be up for sharing your method? No worries if not. Just keep the updates coming. Each one makes me grin... :)
    Easily distracted and...oooh, look! A guitar!"
    My Trading Feedback can be found here: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/62765/bad-alice/p1
    I'm always happy to share methods and materials, even though sometimes it means the products i use end up impossible to get after i have :D 

This is a metric switch, so the only fitting "amber" tip i could find was a rather gross shade of Tango orange.  I should have taken a before shot.

I rubbed it down with 1000g paper, followed by 0000 wire wool.  After that i applied some colron dark wood scratch filler.  Let dry and buff off.

getting close now.

The aged switch and gold knobs really compliment the look.   

For the aluminium plates i found etching them slightly in ferric chloride before a bleach bath helped give a more consistently aged look.  Prior to this i masked off an oval on the guard and buffed the outer edges.  This has given a subtle version of the oval wear through that i am quite happy with.

I also buffed a bit of the ageing off the pickup covers which has just helped tie everything together

Small details take it from this:

to this

Now i just need to spend a bit of time getting the neck feeling as nice as possible as you move between the different finishes, get a final patina i am happy with, and it needs rewiring.

0reaction image LOL 13reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    Wow mate this is really impressive
  • DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2522
    Needs a few more scrapes and scratches - perhaps the cat would like to have a go?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ddigger said:
    Needs a few more scrapes and scratches - perhaps the cat would like to have a go?
    Drag it through a local hedge perhaps
  • Very nice!  I wonder how he managed to scratch off so much paint BEHIND the strings!
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 500
    That extra bit of detailing / ageing work on the plates and the switch etc has really tied it all together.   I am amazed how naturally aged the back looks - great job.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I think we are about there.  Subtle changes really.   It's now wired up complete with blower switch. I found a handy use for the extra back plate hole.

0reaction image LOL 15reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Incredible work, well done indeed! :love: 
    Yeah that is so good
  • Excellent stuff.

The felt washer under the strap button is a bit clean though ;)
    Excellent stuff.

The felt washer under the strap button is a bit clean though ;)
    The funny thing is I dirtied it up good and proper before putting the strap button back on  :D 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Absolutely immense Wes, very well done mate!  How does the neck feel in the hand, can you notice the ally insert?
    Everything feels really nice and smooth, especially on the neck shaft.  Even the heavy wear areas everywhere else feel smoother than they look.

I'm gonna put money on it playing better than the real thing 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I don't doubt it mate, it looks feckin' fantastic. Thanks very much and I'll see ya soon!