Folk rock with virtuoso playing?

What's Hot

Comments

• blobbblobb Frets: 3107
    Loobs said:
    Ta! Lots to dig into here. Fairport did one good album? Which? I humbly disagree. 

Unhalfbricking, Liege & Lief and Full House all have stuff on them I really enjoy. 
    Sorry. It's a Fairporters 'in joke' - 50 odd years off the back of one good album, and they were pretty 'odd' years! 

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4211
    Feast of Fiddles are always worth a listen 
  • Long shot but....

• LoobsLoobs Frets: 3847
    Impossible Germany is a beautiful tune! I saw Wilco at The Roundhouse about 2010 and that was one of the highlights of the set. Nels Cline is a hero of mine! 
  • Lau
    edited December 2023
    Interesting, their last album was produced by John Parish (of PJ Harvey)...

Will check out, thx. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12055
    Great current folk players:
    Clive Carroll -moved to USA this month sadly
    Time Edey - still here, still great
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5099
    Pentangle i presume you know? 

Comus?
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2110
    You’ll probably know a lot of these anyway - Imagined Village, Bellowhead, TRADarrr, Show of Hands, Oysterband, Peter Knight’s Gigspanner, Merry Hell, Skerryvore, Ferocious Dog and loads more!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16319
    edited December 2023
    Budgie said:
    You’ll probably know a lot of these anyway - Imagined Village, Bellowhead, TRADarrr, Show of Hands, Oysterband, Peter Knight’s Gigspanner, Merry Hell, Skerryvore, Ferocious Dog and loads more!

Not really my area although I saw Fairport several times many years ago, Steeleye Span once and a few others such as Scott Matthews and the amazing Seth Lakeman (live with his band it's sort of Led Zep unplugged territory). Imagined Village I saw a few years ago (they made a couple of albums in the late noughties) which was amazing and I've been listening to them a bit this morning. Probably no virtuoso guitar playing but if you wanted a modern (well 15 years ago modern) take on British folk marvellous. MrsTheWeary had a bit of a Bellowhead period who are maybe, in rock terms, maybe more akin to prog rock. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33884
    edited December 2023
    Not rock at all but this chap lives in my village- he's definitely a virtuoso but not flashy.
    His name is Nick Hooper, he sometimes plays with Gordon Giltrap.

He scored a couple of Harry Potter films too.
    Budgie said:

Not really my area although I saw Fairport several times many years ago, Steeleye Span once and a few others such as Scott Matthews and the amazing Seth Lakeman (live with his band it's sort of Led Zep unplugged territory). Imagined Village I saw a few years ago (they made a couple of albums in the late nineties) which was amazing and I've been listening to them a bit this morning. Probably no virtuoso guitar playing but if you wanted a modern (well 15 years ago modern) take on British folk marvellous. MrsTheWeary had a bit of a Bellowhead period who are maybe, in rock terms, maybe more akin to prog rock. 
    Imagined Village are superb. I saw them too a couple of years ago at Beautiful Days. The collective members are pretty much folk royalty.

I assume the OP is very much aware of Pentangle. In fact anything with John Renbourn and/or Bert Jansch. 
  • Budgie said:
    Budgie said:

Not really my area although I saw Fairport several times many years ago, Steeleye Span once and a few others such as Scott Matthews and the amazing Seth Lakeman (live with his band it's sort of Led Zep unplugged territory). Imagined Village I saw a few years ago (they made a couple of albums in the late nineties) which was amazing and I've been listening to them a bit this morning. Probably no virtuoso guitar playing but if you wanted a modern (well 15 years ago modern) take on British folk marvellous. MrsTheWeary had a bit of a Bellowhead period who are maybe, in rock terms, maybe more akin to prog rock. 
    Imagined Village are superb. I saw them too a couple of years ago at Beautiful Days. The collective members are pretty much folk royalty.

I assume the OP is very much aware of Pentangle. In fact anything with John Renbourn and/or Bert Jansch. 
    Noughties rather than nineties or nighties as spellcheck wanted. Aye yay yay. Yes, Eliza Carthy I’ve seen in IV and with her dad. Although both are British folk about as stylistically different as you could get under that umbrella. I’ve been to a few folk festivals and standards always seem really high although by the end of it I’m craving the sound of someone going kerchung with an electric guitar (in much the same way by the end of a day at a guitar show I want to hear someone singing). 

Budgie said:
    Budgie said:

Noughties rather than nineties or nighties as spellcheck wanted. Aye yay yay. Yes, Eliza Carthy I’ve seen in IV and with her dad. Although both are British folk about as stylistically different as you could get under that umbrella. I’ve been to a few folk festivals and standards always seem really high although by the end of it I’m craving the sound of someone going kerchung with an electric guitar (in much the same way by the end of a day at a guitar show I want to hear someone singing). 

I couldn’t agree more. I think folk festivals have cottoned on to this as the lineups seem far more musically-diverse than they used to be. 
  • Budgie said:
    Budgie said:
    Budgie said:

I couldn’t agree more. I think folk festivals have cottoned on to this as the lineups seem far more musically-diverse than they used to be. 
    The main one I've been to is Moseley and they have some acts that I don't think anyone would call folk, for example they had Squeeze this year. But it's bums on seats and the people paying to see Squeeze also get to see some bloke singing about fair maidens and corn fields. 

Ooh, whilst I'm on I'll mention Cowbois Rhos Botwnnog (and I thought I had spell check issues before...) as one of them was a member on here. Lovely folk/rock/country/shades of Neil Young but all sung in Welsh (and their wiki entry says folk band). In terms of the OP not virtuoso playing but it's guitars. 
  • Loobs said:
    Interesting, their last album was produced by John Parish (of PJ Harvey)...

Will check out, thx. 
    Yes, indeed, and it is their most 'indie' album.  Their best of album, 'Decade',  showcases their virtuosity really well.
    edited December 2023
    Thanks. On a related note, I highly recommend PJs album w/ Parish: “Dance Hall at Louse Point” and the follow up, “A Woman A Man Walked By”.
  • Thanks.  I know 'A Woman a Man......', but I didn't know they done one before that.
  • maharg101maharg101 Frets: 732
    edited December 2023
    Led Zeppelin III. Not entirely folk, but there's a fair bit of folk influence on there.

p.s. also Jethro Tull
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
    Yeah, I've heard of Jethro Tull. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom