Plant based chips?

What's Hot

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12336
    Jeremiah said:

NB: Although "Do Chill Gammon" is possibly the funniest thing I've seen written this year, I'm now craving a traditional gammon and chips with a fried egg and a pineapple slice - so not sure if it had the desired effect.
    Probably better to heat it rather than chill it, though...

Well yes of course.

Once as a treat I bought some chip shop chips and had them with a nice steak - but I've not tried it with gammon.

God I'm hungry.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3263
    Kurtis said:
    Potatoes are plant based, chips not necessarily.

What do you put in a toaster? 
    Depends on what toaster I'm using, though I'll assume you're talking about the standard kitchen counter top toaster, in which case I put bread in mine, we have another toaster that will toast everything from Subway style foot longs, to proper ploughman's sandwiches even croissants - I like my morning croissant ever so slightly toasted not enough for them to start browning or become crispy.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13036
    maharg101 said:
    The article you've linked to claims that a plant-based diet means you can choose to eat animal produce. Have you got any authoritative sources to cite ? :joy: 
    Of course not, he's a troll and/or sock puppet. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 501
    One of our locals advertises chips as gluten-free (potatoes are naturally gluten free) which is presumably a similar concept - perhaps people google "plant based"?
    The gluten-free chips are a thing.  If you are celiac/gluten intolerant then cross-contamination is a problem.  Chips cooked in the same oil as batter could cause a flair-up - I've witnessed the after-effects of my niece getting "glutened" this way.  Finding a chippy that specifies their chips to be gluten-free is an absolute must for her.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24647
    edited January 8
    maharg101 said:
    I can assure you that chips cooked in animal fats are definitely not plant based. 
    I would argue to the contrary.  The chips are plant based.  The method of cooking them does not change what they are.
    Cooking them in animal fat (who the fuck deep-fries in animal fat anyway ??!!) would render them non-vegan, but they are still plant based.  If you wrap a carrot in prosciutto, it's still a bloody carrot !
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23578
    Philly_Q said:
    You have missed out if you haven't tried a bucket of Buffalo Chips.
    Should only ever be attempted once & never to be forgotten...
    Genuinely high fibre & vegetarian too :-D
    What makes them high fibre?  (Or in other words, what are they?)
    Sorry, I thought the term was more widely known  B)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cow_dung
    Never heard of it.  But as you've probably realised by now, I've led a sheltered life.
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2575
    Beef dripping is still widely used in Yorkshire chippies
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1373
    Does he get his potatoes out of the ground, or plastic ones from a toy shop??
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19353
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    You have missed out if you haven't tried a bucket of Buffalo Chips.
    Should only ever be attempted once & never to be forgotten...
    Genuinely high fibre & vegetarian too :-D
    What makes them high fibre?  (Or in other words, what are they?)
    Sorry, I thought the term was more widely known  B)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cow_dung
    Never heard of it.  But as you've probably realised by now, I've led a sheltered life.
    Buffalo chips  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12336
    RedRabbit said:
    One of our locals advertises chips as gluten-free (potatoes are naturally gluten free) which is presumably a similar concept - perhaps people google "plant based"?
    The gluten-free chips are a thing.  If you are celiac/gluten intolerant then cross-contamination is a problem.  Chips cooked in the same oil as batter could cause a flair-up - I've witnessed the after-effects of my niece getting "glutened" this way.  Finding a chippy that specifies their chips to be gluten-free is an absolute must for her.  

Oh neat, that's interesting.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • maharg101maharg101 Frets: 751
    Emp_Fab said:
    maharg101 said:
    I can assure you that chips cooked in animal fats are definitely not plant based. 
    I would argue to the contrary.  The chips are plant based.  The method of cooking them does not change what they are.
    Cooking them in animal fat (who the fuck deep-fries in animal fat anyway ??!!) would render them non-vegan, but they are still plant based.  If you wrap a carrot in prosciutto, it's still a bloody carrot !
    Then you'd be wrong. The _potatoes_ are plant based. The chips contain potato _and_ an amount of the fat they were cooked in.
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16275
    I keep seeing Chinese Websites like Temu and the like that advertise shoes/boots made from "Vegan Leather "
    We used to call it Plastic !
    Got to hand it to their marketing team !
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3263
    edited January 9
    Dominic said:
    I keep seeing Chinese Websites like Temu and the like that advertise shoes/boots made from "Vegan Leather "

Dr Marten advertise plastic as ''vegan leather'' as well, and it's derived from oil - mainly polyurethaneI guess vegans and vegetarians don't mind using animal derived products after all, just as long as the animal has been dead for long enough.
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2631
    I imagine some people gave up potato chips for a while, too, until they were told that said chips are “grain free.”  
  • DontgiveupyourdayjobDontgiveupyourdayjob Frets: 3962
    edited January 9
    Dominic said:
    I have a "vegan leather" guitar strap made by 'RIght On' straps. I have no idea what they're actually made of (their website just states "specially selected quality materials" ) but it feels great. Best strap I've owned! 

https://www.rightonstraps.com/en/guitar-bass-straps-mojo
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24647
    maharg101 said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    maharg101 said:
    Then you'd be wrong. The _potatoes_ are plant based. The chips contain potato _and_ an amount of the fat they were cooked in.
    When does a potato become a 'chip' - is it when it's a cooked vegetable or when the potatoes are chipped ?
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2423
    I count chips as one of my 5-a-day as they are vegetables.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29131
    Dominic said:
    Vegan leather is arguably a more helpful description than "plastic. 

It tells you you're getting something akin to leather, but with no animal hide. So probably breathable and a bit grained. 

As opposed to "plastic", which could mean GRP, or a block of expanded polystyrene, or polythene sheeting... 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16945
    We all know it means the oil, not the spud.    Chips have 2 ingredients.  You can't ignore one of them when shouting at clouds.

Frankly, unless they state "cooked in dripping", I would expect the chip shop to be using a plant based oil.  If they state "plant based", "vegetarian" or "vegan" I would expect no meat or fish products share the same oil. If they say "gluten free" I would expect only gluten free flour is used in the batter, and this does not share oil with the regular kind... it's not a comment about the fish or potato used.

If these things are not important to you, ignore them.  They are important to others.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • maharg101maharg101 Frets: 751
    Emp_Fab said:
    When does a potato become a 'chip' - is it when it's a cooked vegetable or when the potatoes are chipped ?
    That's a bit too deep for me. I'll leave you to enjoy your red herring with your raw chips ;)
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here