rip CDs without a compute

What's Hot
sev112sev112 Frets: 2859
We haven’t run a computer for years now, how could I go about ripping CDs to a USB stick or memory card ? Are there any gadgets etc out there ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7898
    External cd/dvd drive? Can't recommend a particular brand though.
  • oafoaf Frets: 301
    not sure how good they are though...

• SporkySporky Frets: 29159
    edited January 15
    Bluesound Vault?

Though you could buy a laptop for a lot less. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • oafoaf Frets: 301
    ^ yes I'd just get hold of a modest PC and install EAC on it
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3132
    There are rippers avialable, but they are generally designed to rip to a speciic destination. For example, the AK rippers connect directly to AK players and rip FLAC - but I don't know if you can rip direct to a USB stick?

Others I've seen rip to a hard drive via your PC anyway.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2859
    I don’t want to buy a pc purely cos I’m fed up with the music on my USB stick in the car that I ripped about 10 years ago !

oaf said:
    not sure how good they are though...

That looks useful and I could use it as a CD player too, but bloomin expensive to ship to Uk.  Anyone aware of any UK equivalents ?

Ta all
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9779
    Brennan are a British company -try the .co.uk version.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12378
    sev112 said:
    I don’t want to buy a pc 
    Borrow one?

Not like you need anything flash to rip cds - in fact new laptops don't come with the drives!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2576
    Use a computer at the library
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 246
    Sporky said:
    Bluesound Vault?

Though you could buy a laptop for a lot less. 

I've got a vault and bloody wonderful it is to. Knocks the socks off my old Meridian CD player. But it is NOT cheap and the BluOS controller can be a pain to navigate sometimes.
    Brennan are a British company -try the .co.uk version.
    Good spot thanks :)

That looks perfect :) apart from the fact that it plays the CD while it rips which means that the process won’t be too fast :( 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9779
    My partner has an ancient Brennan, and I’m pretty sure it rips CDs like my Mac does, i.e., faster than in real time and it doesn’t have to play it while doing this. I don’t like the thing though - there are hundreds of unmamed tracks and albums on it because CDs have been ripped with no connection to a database. I’d hope the current models are better.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5221
    sev112 said:
    We haven’t run a computer for years now, how could I go about ripping CDs to a USB stick or memory card ? Are there any gadgets etc out there ?

"I need to crack a nut but I haven't owned a nutcracker for years and now I don't want to. What's the best sledgehammer?"

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    sev112 said:

"I need to crack a nut but I haven't owned a nutcracker for years and now I don't want to. What's the best sledgehammer?"
    I fear we are missing each other’s point?  I don’t want a sledgehammer as I don’t have any fence posts to bang in or walls to demolish .  I want a modern nutcracker
  • DuploLicksDuploLicks Frets: 269
    Currys have a laptop for £170 (refurbished,1yr warranty) add an external drive £25. It’s not the answer you’re looking for but I’d be surprised you could get an all-in-one CD ripper to mp3 on external USB thing for much less than £200 if it exists. 

EAC (exact audio cop) has access to a database for naming the songs before they’re ripped

Recently bought this drive & seems solid so far
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29159
    I have one of that drive too. The only issue was user idiocy - I didn't spot that the USB data cable is built into the bottom, and the little cable they give you is just for extra power if you need it. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1034
    Why not just buy a second had PC with a CD/DVD writer, cheaper than buying the Brennan ?
    Seen a few on sale for around £70-£100 
    “Ken sent me.”
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guyinlyonguyinlyon Frets: 336
    sev112 said:
    I don’t want to buy a pc purely cos I’m fed up with the music on my USB stick in the car that I ripped about 10 years ago !

Borrow a friend's Apple laptop and CD drive and use iTunes/Music to rip CDs to the hard drive. Then go to Macintosh HD/Users/(User Name)/Music/Music/Media and your MP3s will be in that folder ready to be copied to your USB stick.
    Just make sure to set the iTunes/Music program to save the ripped files as MP3s instead of the Apple's default AAC format.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    guyinlyon said:
    sev112 said:

Borrow a friend's Apple laptop and CD drive and use iTunes/Music to rip CDs to the hard drive. Then go to Macintosh HD/Users/(User Name)/Music/Music/Media and your MP3s will be in that folder ready to be copied to your USB stick.
    Just make sure to set the iTunes/Music program to save the ripped files as MP3s instead of the Apple's default AAC format.

ITUNES ! why make it so difficult ?  Plenty of open source rippers to mp3/flac/wave  
    “Ken sent me.”
    Buy a Raspberry PI 4
    Buy a USB Hub *powered for the CD player
    Buy a USB CD Rom 

Rip to flac/mp3/

Cheap as chips (or second hand PC)

“Ken sent me.”