Are budget MFX closing the amp modelling gap on expensive MFX?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    I have experience with the Kemper, Fractal (Ultra & 2), Helix and Atomic Amplifire. Not tried QC, Boss or the 3rd gen. Fractal gear, although my bandmate has an FM9. Of the gear I've used, the Kemper is the most natural sounding with the Axe 2 a close second (with a fair amount of dialling in) but they're all capable of producing good sounds. At a gig they would all sound good and it's possible to dial in 'your sound'.

The biggest differences are in the interfaces, switching, etc. and PC editors. The Helix is a winner when it comes to features and the editor. Snapshots work really well and are implemented properly. The Fractal scenes and, on the latest gear, scenes + channels, is really clunky by comparison. Even Kemper's performances are very well implemented and provide more variety than Helix or Fractal.

My point is, in the future it will be all about the interface, editor and the unit's flexibility because sound quality is excellent already. A unit with Axe III sound quality, snapshots and a large, great looking touch screen for around £1500 can't be far off.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom