Alien: Romulus

What's Hot
New film in the Alien franchise due out later this year!

Ridley Scott not at the helm on this one, it's directed by the guy who did Don't Breath which I really liked, so hopefully won't be shit! 

I'm a massive fan of the first two movies, and apparently this one is set at a time somewhere in between Alien and Aliens. It's a completely stand-alone movie though apparently.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17864
    tFB Trader
    I hope it's good.

The first two are amongst the greatest of all time, but all the others have been crap.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12431
    Ooooh brilliant!!!  Can't wait!  Ta for posting.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I hope it's good.

The first two are amongst the greatest of all time, but all the others have been crap.
    My mate's dad somehow managed to sneak us in to see Alien 3 when I was 11 years old. Scared me shitless, left quite an impression, and the fact I'd seen an 18 rated film in the theatre at 11 made me feel like basically the coolest kid on the planet. I'll always have a bit of a soft spot for that film!

I also didn't think Prometheus was anywhere near as bad as some of the critics and fanboys made out. 

Covenant was bang average, Resurrection was comedically bad, and the Vs Predator films were offensively shite.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2385

Can't really get too interested. I agree the first two excellent and stand the test of time three was OK. Bored by the alien xenomorph monster by then. Maybe the xenomorph has wildly mutated... that might be an element of surprise...  I sat through Prometheus and enjoyed the sets and effects but the story was a bit of a lame hotch-potch. 
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7189
    meh
    Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27654
    I hope it's good.

This 100%

FWIW Anyone with any interest in Alien stuff and gaming should play Alien Isolation at least once. It's a little long but in terms of feeling like you're in that universe and making you properly shit yourself when the alien finds you it's absolutely incredible
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12431
    Despite the massive plot holes, I still like Prometheus.  Covenant was shite, 3 was shite and Resurrection was... ok.  Aliens remains the best of the subsequent franchise by some way.  And is up there with Alien.
  • KultscharKultschar Frets: 46
    I loved the diff direction Prometheus gave us so was gutted when Covenant kind of forgot about it and went straight back into Alien mode.   Guess studio pressure since Prometheus not so well received. 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7418
    I hope it's good.

This 100%

FWIW Anyone with any interest in Alien stuff and gaming should play Alien Isolation at least once. It's a little long but in terms of feeling like you're in that universe and making you properly shit yourself when the alien finds you it's absolutely incredible
    I got my son the Five Nights At Freddy’s game for Xmas and it’s the same style as Alien. It made me feel pathetic because he’s completed FNAF but when I played Alien Isolation I got so scared I never even got as far as meeting the Alien.
  • oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 880
    There was talk of Neill Blomkamp doing a sequel to Aliens that was going to ignore all the other films and bring back Ripley, Newt and Hicks. It (obviously) never came off but you could tell by the way he talked about it how much he loved the franchise and what worked and what didn't. This looks pretty average.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24796
    Directors Cut of 3 makes a lot of difference.

AvP was great. AvPR was shite.

Prometheus was awful. Beautiful to look at, but so shite. 

I WANT TO BUY:
    Fairfield "The Accountant" Compressor Pedal.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1944
    I too loved AVP and get so pissed off when folk dismiss it as non canon. Same with the Predator movies franchise.
    don't like The Predator (2018) so dismss it? Maybe it screws up your timeline but get real...
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12310
    Looks surprisingly not shit...

Agree with general sentiments in here...

Alien is the greatest sci-horror ever made
    Aliens is one of the greatest scifi-action films ever made.
    Alien 3 is deeply flawed and actually surprisingly boring.
    Alien Resurrection is just... weird... possibly so bad it's good.
    Prometheus is beautiful but makes no sense.
    Covenant makes no sense and contradicts everything else.

to be thorough...

Alien vs Predator is shit, but enjoyable popcorn shit.
    Alien vs Predator: Requiem is the worst film ever made, by some margin, and contains a scene that I'm amazed was ever signed off, by anyone, as it's so utterly morally bankrupt.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • wesker123wesker123 Frets: 497
    Prometheus is so bad I feel ripped off watching that garbage at cinema.
    The accordion scene is one of most toe curling things I have ever watched.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23534
    I'll watch it.  I don't really think of it as a series any more, just separate films with a few things in common.  If they're good, they're good, if they're not I don't care.

Funnily enough, just an hour ago my brother sent me a link to a YouTube video which shows the 4K Aliens is just an upscale of the Blu-ray.

Alien vs Predator: Requiem is the worst film ever made, by some margin
    It really isn't, but it is very very bad.
  • ColsCols Frets: 7264
    wesker123 said:
    Prometheus is so bad I feel ripped off watching that garbage at cinema.
    The accordion scene is one of most toe curling things I have ever watched.
    It’s in my top 5 most disappointing films, because the trailer looked awesome.  But the finished product was a confused mess.

And the awful thing was, it didn’t have to be.  An earlier script explained all the terrible plot holes which left everyone walking out of the cinema going “Huh?  What?”  

If you’ve got a bit of time you can read it here:

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/files/scripts/script-alien-engineers-spaihts.pdf

Why does the crew not know anything about the mission? Because classified jobs pay more and Weyland is worried about corporate espionage. 

What's the black stuff? A bioweapon originally intended for Earth. 

Why does the Engineer go apeshit when the crew wake him up? Because he has an alien in his chest and is awaiting medical attention - the crew have sealed his doom by reviving him. 

Unfortunately they brought in Damon Lindelof (the guy who wrote Lost) to rewrite and, unsurprisingly, the end product became arbitrary and nonsensical.  Just like Lost.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3683
    Alien was great, I think the rest that followed with Sigourney were a bit meh, alien kills crew, Sigourney blows the ship and escapes in pod, they hammered the plot to death, the latest ones though were good, but the concept of aliens chasing people through corridors with flashing lights, water dripping from the walls and steam squirting out of pipes gets a bit boring after the first five minutes.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8089
    I liked Prometheus
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4371
    edited March 21
    I really enjoyed Prometheus. I just took it as a standalone film. I know it wasn’t, but I found it was the best way to enjoy it.

Loved Alien and Aliens. I really enjoyed 3 as well.

I really liked AvP. The PC game was epic too. 3 games in 1. 

I don't have a great recollection of the others, so I can't have been that enamored with them. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12491
    edited March 21
    The problem for me with the franchise after the original Alien film was that you knew what was coming. The shock of the alien reveal had gone. I still like some of the films and even though the plot of Prometheus is a complete mess it’s still got great visuals and atmosphere.