Boxing thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Placidcasual79Placidcasual79 Frets: 1025
    DefaultM said:
    @Placidcasual79  did you watch it?  =)
    I certainly did @DefaultM - I was delighted. I thought BSD won the first round, but Prioer is sooooo dangerous in the pocket. I've seen this morning that Mackacheav (apologies for spelling) has said he'd like to fight him next. Who knows whether that fight will happen - perhaps Poirier will fight the winner of Gaethje and Holloway and then the winner of that will fight Islam.... before the fight I re-watched his fights with Holloway, with Dan Hooker and with Justin Gaethje..... he has given us so many great fights and has always been a class act. His interviews with Ariel Helwani after the Gaethje loss and this win against BSD are brilliant.  I would love to see him win the title and finish on top - I think he could beat Holloway or Gaethje again but I dont know if he could beat Islam. 

Did you watch it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7518
    @Placidcasual79 ;Yeah I thought it was going badly for him in the first round and my prediction would be right, but then he wrecked him and I couldn’t have been happier. I don’t think he will beat Islam though, even less so if he keeps going for that guillotine. He’ll just wait it out like Khabib did and then submit him on the ground.
    Those fighters are just different, you could see it was fully locked in at one point when he had it on Khabib, but they seem to know too many tricks to get out of this stuff. Afterwards he just laughed and said “do you really think I would tap in front of my father?”. As though it was just a choice and he decided not to. 
    I was daft enough to think Oliveira was going to beat Islam cos he was running through everyone and I thought Islam hadn’t really faced any top competition, but look what happened there. I felt very silly when that one was over haha.

Do you know what’s gone on with the Holloway/Gaethje fight? If you google UFC 300 it’s where it should be on the card, but then at the bottom it’s repeated and says cancelled.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12687
    Right you two pack it in, it's not judo club its a boxing thread so sling your hooks : )
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7518
    munckee said:
    Right you two pack it in, it's not judo club its a boxing thread so sling your hooks : )
    I wouldn’t know which one to sling, I’ve never dared actually do any fighting unless I break my fingers.
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1278
    edited March 31
    What a fight tonight between Clarke and Wardley.  They both look like they both look so knackered.  No result yet and I can't split them.

Edit - A draw!  I should be pro!
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 636
    That was some fight, not sure either will benefit from a rematch straight away
    It was a good fight, I think Clarke just about nicked it but the knockdown and deduction cost him.  

Good to see Ben Whittaker getting punched in the face too, he’s become quite irritating. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1543
    Great scrap. First time in a long time, i could barely watch round 11 and 12 and i think the correct result on the cards. 
    Was very impressed with whittakers opponent, despite it being a one sided afair. Boys got balls big time and a rematch may be way more competetive. Agree munckee, not a good night for him really as he steps up his quality of opponents.

Saw this today and imho one of the best promotional call outs ever. Just hilarious genius, even down to the thick bottom lip smudge on the cup.

Dont worry, be silly.
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Bivol against Beterbiev on 1st June with Wilder Zhang on the undercard.  

With Fury vs Usyk beforehand, it it goes ahead.   

Great fights. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 4004
    munckee said:
    Bivol against Beterbiev on 1st June with Wilder Zhang on the undercard.  

With Fury vs Usyk beforehand, it it goes ahead.   

Great fights. 
    Oh, yes. Bivol v Beterbiev will be awesome. Immense fight. 
    Haney Garcia tonight, any predictions? Seems like there could be a McCall style meltdown from Garcia, but I hope he sparks Haney out, just for the robbery against Lomachenko.  
  • richman6100richman6100 Frets: 355
    Garcia doesn't appear to be in a good place right now. 3.2lbs over the weight limit points to poor preparation too. While I'd love to see Haney whooped, I can't see Garcia doing it right now. I'll be happy if I'm wrong though.

Although I don't directly blame Haney for the dodgy result against Loma - the corrupt power-brokers in boxing fixed that - I will celebrate the day that Haney get's his arse kicked simply for what he did to Loma at their face off. Loma is one of the best fighters I've encountered in around 40 years of following boxing. He should have been undisputed 4 belt champion and that's not going to happen now. Seeing Haney battered sometime will return balance to my universe.

Garcia gets a whopping. Long and slow
    Dont worry, be silly.
    I’ll take that, thanks boxing gods!
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6977
    Previously known as stevebrum
    edited May 3
    Looking forward to the canelo fight on weekend. Not betting or predicting, im not on form. As ever think its a good opponent for canelo, he doesnt dodge opponents. Munguai undefeated 43-0, beat john ryder more convincingly than canelo. John Ryder not explicit but think he favours canelo. Mexican derby,  hoping for a good competitive fight. Young vs older. Will get/stay up for this one. Not often i say that.
    Dont worry, be silly.
    I think canelo quite a big favourite but he might get old. 

Inoue fighting on Monday 20 out of 20 experts have him winning.  
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3235
    edited May 6
    Who next for Canelo? I guess he's only got 4 or 5 more fights left in him. He doesn't seem the type to go on for too long.

Nothing he can do about the Mayweather defeat but will surely want to avenge Bivol. Benavidez the more obvious fight but needs to get it set up sooner rather than later I think. Munguia will surely seek a rematch.

Beating Bivol would also invite a trilogy, beating Benavidez a rematch and possibly a trilogy too.

So, 
    1. Benavidez 1
    2. Benavidez 2
    3. Munguia 2
    4. Bivol 2

Possibly another 3 if all three turn into trilogies.

I can't see a Crawford fight happening unless Crawford fancies the challenge of going up the weights. 
    I’m not sure he could beat bivol, even if he could bivol potentially has two fights lined up first, maybe three if he has a rematch with Beterbiev.  

Benavidez would be a good fight.  I think Crawford is a better boxer than canelo but not big enough.  
  • Placidcasual79Placidcasual79 Frets: 1025
    Another top level performance from Lomachenko last night - anyone see it? A truly astonishing fighter.  I've only followed boxing since the mid 90's - but I think, in that time, his skill set is unique and unparalleled. There are quicker and more powerful fighters and obviously Loma is athletically gifted but in terms of pure boxing - hitting and not getting hit - I think he is the best I've seen.....