'With a Strat you can rule the world'

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14742
    tFB Trader
    Vintage65 said:
    CaseOfAce said:
    Would I be wrong in thinking that the last person who really did match that statement "With a Strat you can rule the world" would be Mark Knopfler back in '78.?? 

for sure there's been many, many famous guitarists using strats over recent years but none so intrinsically linked with one so sonically and visually (obv. pre Les Paul , Pensa Suhr , dobro etc...).
    He's certainly up there, but for me when I think strat it's always Hank Marvin first that pops up in my brain.  I dont know why  because I'm not even a fan lol.  It's that image of him and his fiesta red strat and the twang of his songs.  It's an automatic association.   
    Hank the imposter  =)

The story goes that Hank wanted the same guitar as James Burton - No YouTube, etc back then - Assumed it was a Strat, then found out later it was a Tele - Hell of an accident in many ways 

Certainly in the UK, Hank has probably done more to influence new players to pick up the guitar and give it ago, than many other players - Certainly was the case in the late 50's, 60's and 70's 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 860
    There is a photo of Leo Fender in the article and it does look like Joe Bonamassa is his love child!

Theory backed up by AI!

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4632
    Ed from Radiohead seems to do quite well with his
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3115
    Funnily enough, when I associate a guitar with FZ I think SG as most do. But when I think of a player associated with a strat, I think of Frank. I can hear it now, that liquid sound he got.

Frank Zappa - Whippin post Them Or Us 1984 Live Does Humor Belong in

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PLOPPLOP Frets: 331
    edited April 11
    willo said:
    CaseOfAce said:
    Would I be wrong in thinking that the last person who really did match that statement "With a Strat you can rule the world" would be Mark Knopfler back in '78.?? 

for sure there's been many, many famous guitarists using strats over recent years but none so intrinsically linked with one so sonically and visually (obv. pre Les Paul , Pensa Suhr , dobro etc...).
    As mentioned above, I'd say Frusciante is probably both the most recent major guitarist associated with a strat, and also probably the most recent major mainstream guitar hero.
    If you’re looking for a guitar hero these days I don’t think there’s many people who fit the modern rockstar vibe better than Matt Bellamy from Muse. Not a Strat player though. He is a fantastic player, singer and visionary. He dresses and acts like a rock star, Muse’s live shows are big budget and theatrical. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12495
    After careful consideration and having held a gun to my head, I still think my Strat would be the one guitar I'd save from a house fire if forced to make a choice.  They do pretty much everything and if you have a good one, it's nigh-on indispensible.

When someone posts a thread tomorrow entitled 'With a Tele You Can Rule The World', I will of course be changing tack.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2575
    CaseOfAce said:
    Would I be wrong in thinking that the last person who really did match that statement "With a Strat you can rule the world" would be Mark Knopfler back in '78.??  :/

Ever heard of John Mayer?
    elstoof said:

Ever heard of John Mayer?
    Do you mean John Mayall?
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1494
    Ummm, I think clearly the strat player who's come closest to ruling the world has to be Tony Blair.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11098
    tFB Trader
    BigPaulie said:
    Surprised we've gone this far in the thread and nobody has mentioned Clapton! Surely up there with the likes of Hendrix, Marvin etc as being synonymous with the Strat.
    Meh!

Vintage65 said:
    CaseOfAce said:

He's certainly up there, but for me when I think strat it's always Hank Marvin first that pops up in my brain.  I dont know why  because I'm not even a fan lol.  It's that image of him and his fiesta red strat and the twang of his songs.  It's an automatic association.   
    Hank the imposter  =)

This.
    This squared ... as a child of 1959 the first time I saw a strat was on the album sleeve of one of my aunt's Buddy Holly records - the 'Chirping Crickets' one ... and as a tiny kid it looked so space-age to me. So electric guitars in my formative years (my mum liked the Shadows) were all Strat shaped. 
    Truth to tell I actually prefer playing Telecasters unless it's for a very specific Strat sound - Hendrix/SRV/Rory Gallagher. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

Ummm, I think clearly the strat player who's come closest to ruling the world has to be Tony Blair.
    Stream 28 - Steven Seagal Mojo Priest by The Important Cinema Club   Listen online for free on SoundCloud
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Bob Mould is a good shout for an alternative guitarist closely associated with the Strat.. he’s been using Star plus’ since the late 80’s. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23560
    I'm not sure if we're trying to decide who's the most iconic Strat player, who's the most recent big name Strat player, or who are our favourite Strat players.  But anyway I'm going to say 1970s big-headstock guys - Ritchie Blackmore, Robin Trower and Uli Jon Roth.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23560
    And did anyone mention Yngwie Malmsteen?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5022
    Mark Knopfler, Rory Gallagher, Tony Joe White, Eric Clapton, etc
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1494
    Philly_Q said:
    The first rule of Yngwie Malmsten is, you don't talk about Yngwie Malmsteen
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4384
    Philly_Q said:
    The first rule of Yngwie Malmsten is, you don't talk about Yngwie Malmsteen
    Unless you're Yngwie Malmsteen

Got to be Hendrix if we're talking most iconic. Nile Rodgers if we're talking dollars earned with one scruffy bitsa, I read the numbers somewhere and they're... astonishing. To say the least.
  • RichACRichAC Frets: 744
    For me, the ultimate Strat player in the heavy metal world is Dave Murray. His sig model with the Floyd remains an object of desire for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1227

Like it or not, to many non musicians around the world, THIS guy is the face of a stratocaster =) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4384
    @LionAquaLooper - fair shout. The speech that Tia Carrera's character gives is on the money too ("Made before the CBS buyout so it's a good one. I'd lower the action and take out the buzz from the strings.")
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom