PSA If you hate adverts and watch You Tube, Opera browser blocks the ads

What's Hot
rze99rze99 Frets: 2406

You Tube ads have become very frequent and constant.
If you hate adverts and watch You Tube, Opera browser blocks the ads. It blanks the screen and goes silent.

Thank God.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28042
    edited May 30
    As does the AdBlock extension in other browsers.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3264
    edited May 30
    Not to mentions they show the new JPG advert for their La Male, girlfriend drools every time it comes on, not to mention making some hurtful comparisons, observations, and even suggestions.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WoodenheadWoodenhead Frets: 129
    edited May 30
    Ublock Origin is another browser plugin which is good at blocking stuff
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11444
    YouTube gets snotty and refuses to work with Adblock in Firefox. You end up having to watch 5/10/15 seconds of advert.

I can hardly remember what any of them were for, which rather defeats the purpose of having them.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27833
    AdGuard for Safari here. Absolutely marvellous to the extent I hate using the internet without it
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7768
    YouTube Premium here. VPN during signup = costs less than you might think. 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1303
    Brave web browser blocks YouTube ads as well. 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12059
    YouTube Premium here too via VPN, I watch it on my phone, TV, iPad etc.  no need to get Spotify or Apple Music because it comes with YouTube music.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 548
    scrumhalf said:
    YouTube gets snotty and refuses to work with Adblock in Firefox. You end up having to watch 5/10/15 seconds of advert.

I can hardly remember what any of them were for, which rather defeats the purpose of having them.

As @Woodenhead says in the post directly above yours, a switch to uBlock Origin will resolve that for you.
  • crosstownvampcrosstownvamp Frets: 337
    One useful thing Opera has is a free VPN that you can switch on and off. Allows watching video from other countries that might be blocked in UK.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14012
    AdGuard for Safari here. Absolutely marvellous to the extent I hate using the internet without it
    I've been having a bit of bother with AdGuard on some websites since the latest updates, some websites hang and won't load with AdGuard running.

Also, the SkyGo app for Mac hangs during the adverts with AdGuard running lately

• Switch625Switch625 Frets: 591
    I find Youtube in Opera runs really slowly, to the point where the video is barely watchable. Anybody got a decent adblocker that work with Firefox?
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1258
    OUt of interest before I start adding things I might not need, what is the user experience when an advert is showed in a Youtube video?  Does it just skip it and carry on or do you still have to site there for xxx seconds with a blank screen?

• TanninTannin Frets: 5651
    edited May 31
    @rze99 has the good oil. Yes, other browsers and blockers try, but Opera works much, much better in this regard. 

EDIT: ^ This is wrong. Senior moment there. I meant Vivaldi, of course, which does You-tube far, far better than any other browser I have tried, including Opera (which is better than average but not an0ywhere near as good in this regard as Vivaldi.) 
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2406
    S56035 said:
    OUt of interest before I start adding things I might not need, what is the user experience when an advert is showed in a Youtube video?  Does it just skip it and carry on or do you still have to site there for xxx seconds with a blank screen?

Opera silences the ad, but shows a shaded screen and a title of the ad then streams the video after the ad so you get the ad duration xx seconds or whatever of not much at all.

it's the silence that's golden....  the sound level of the ads and jingle tracks (irritating and level boosted to hell) that do my head in.

I don't watch much and I sure ain't paying YT a penny.

Thank you Opera.

• longshinslongshins Frets: 247
    Is this an iPad thing too?
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5651
    rze99 said:
    S56035 said:
    OUt of interest before I start adding things I might not need, what is the user experience when an advert is showed in a Youtube video?  

Opera silences the ad, but shows a shaded screen and a title of the ad then streams the video after the ad so you get the ad duration xx seconds or whatever of not much at all.

Huh? Since when?

No ads at all with Opera for me. 

Oh wait ... Tell a whopping lie, I use Vivaldi for You-tube. Bit of a senior moment there. With Vivaldi, there is no waiting, no blank screen, no nothing. It just plays the content you are interested it without the bullshit. 

(In my defence, it is easy to confuse Opera and Vivaldi. Opera was invented by Jon Stephenson von Tetzchner (and others). It pioneered most of the browser features we take for granted  today.  Ten years ago, von Tetzchner became unhappy with the direction Opera was taking  under its new Chinese owners and founded Vivaldi, which is now probably, all things considered, the best browser on the web today. Having said that, I still use Opera a lot too, and it remains excellent. But for You-tube, Vivaldi reigns supreme as the best there is.)

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4071
    edited May 31
    Google's Chrome browser is based on Chromium, and so is Opera, and so is Microsoft Edge.  Chromium dominates web browsers.
    As of next week, 03 June, Google Chrome will be deprecating the manifest V2 extensions which allow the current lot of ad-blockers to work.  
    Manifest V3 will be different but will ad-blockers work?  Dunno.  I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't given that Google prefers we do not block adverts.  
    Will it mean that the other Chromium browsers like Opera will have to adopt V3?  Dunno.  Let's see.  PS I wouldn't know V2 or V3 if they battered me on the head -- my only interest is, Do I have to do anything to avoid seeing ads?

Firefox gets some stick but it's not that slow and it's not based on Chromium.  UBlock Origin is my ad blocker of choice.

At work (NHS) I have to use Microsoft Edge with no ad block and trying to give patients information from YouTube is unworkable.  There are so many adverts that I simply haven't got enough time to assess the videos I would like to share.  Horrible experience.

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6183
    Long time Adguard user and it's a fantastic application. For the first time ever I had some problems with it after a recent update and the makers were diligent in sorting out a fix and shortly after releasing an update to cure the issue.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6183
    I've been having a bit of bother with AdGuard on some websites since the latest updates, some websites hang and won't load with AdGuard running.

Also, the SkyGo app for Mac hangs during the adverts with AdGuard running lately
    Have you checked that all the filters (in prefs) are enabled? I had a problem where some sites. (inc. Andertons) would not load but since enabling a couple of filters that were unchecked, sites load fine.