Anyone had a set up from J White Guitars in Ash Vale?

What's Hot

Comments

• EduardoFalicioniEduardoFalicioni Frets: 106
    edited June 14
    Philly_Q said:
    In my profession; we always say that you’re only as good as your last job 
    Hitman?
    Sadly none of my music charted ;o) 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12514
    Philly_Q said:
    Hitman?
    ...And Her?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9829
    Sporky said:
    Small claims goes up to £10k I believe.

So two claims, one for each guitar, could potentially cover their value?
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1069
    Offset said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Hitman?
    ...And Her?
    Michaela Strachan?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1966
    edited June 12
    If i was Eduardo I'd consider sending a link to this thread to Fender so they can see how a loyal customer has been crapped on by a "luthier" and the support he has received in the community.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 14
    Brio said:
    If i was Eduardo I'd consider sending a link to this thread to Fender so they can see how a loyal customer has been crapped on by a "luthier" and the support he has received in the community.

I know master builder Jason smith though a mutual friend, but fender corp cannot and will not help with any non warranty issues and he, whilst very sympathetic confirmed this 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27087
    edited June 13
    Thread reopened - with the more pitchfork-y stuff removed.

Remember, folks, this is about resolving a problem and not actively attempting to victimise the business in question. If it goes that way again, this thread will be permanently closed...but we'd really rather not do that, so please keep such thoughts to yourselves.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1607
    Just read this - what a horrendous experience @EduardoFalicioni, you certainly have my sympathy.

It does highlight the latent risks present once we are no longer in control of events/possessions etc. Also the dilemma of "shall I do it myself and possibly bodge it ?" or "shall I give it to someone else who may bodge it ?".

Both overtly negative starting points, and why it is worth only dealing with third parties who are 100% on the money (a few trusted names have already been mentioned above).

Don't give up hope though.

My similar experience (albeit a fraction of yours) came when I took my guitar to a long established tech on Denmark St. Who irretrievably damaged parts, screwed up the wiring, removed Pots and ultimately left it with electrics issues. @ICBM was kind enough to school me on what needed fixing and I took it to Stairway to Kevin who sorted out as much as was possible (note - Kevin shook his head in disbelief when he removed the guard and saw the mess).

FWIW, I decided not to name and shame, as it was during Covid, and everyone can have a bad time and be off their game.

However I felt that my Number One was tainted and could never be as "factory perfect" as what it was. Happily, that changed with some new pickups and sending it off to @WezV who gave it a full redux (and then some). It is now a little different to when it was stock new, but actually has realised its potential and back as my favourite guitar. It also proved to me that I was able to move with the (emotional) changes. As for financial losses - it was (only) a couple of hundred pounds, which I mentally wrote off as part of my learning curve. 

I am pretty sure if you took the issues to a company such as Feline they would be able to address the damage, and return the guitars to you with inspiration. One thing I wouldn't do (YMMV) is take it back to the guys that caused the problems...

Wishing you all the best with this. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

It does highlight the latent risks present once we are no longer in control of events/possessions etc. Also the dilemma of "shall I do it myself and possibly bodge it ?" or "shall I give it to someone else who may bodge it ?".
    Just as a point here - the deciding factor for me, when faced with that choice, is "Is the risk enough to have somebody with liability insurance and legally-enforceable responsibilities take care of it instead?".
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11139
    tFB Trader

Just as a point here - the deciding factor for me, when faced with that choice, is "Is the risk enough to have somebody with liability insurance and legally-enforceable responsibilities take care of it instead?".
    'Do I sit here with a mirror, a packet of codeine and a few common kitchen implements  and take out my appendix ... or go to a hospital?' You mean  :-)
    Well the doctor may be a cowboy, but at least he's a cowboy I can sue if he accidentally staples my spleen to my knee ... 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7747

'Do I sit here with a mirror, a packet of codeine and a few common kitchen implements  and take out my appendix ... or go to a hospital?' You mean  :-)
    Well the doctor may be a cowboy, but at least he's a cowboy I can sue if he accidentally staples my spleen to my knee ...
    Easily enough sorted at home with some codeine and a common office implement  :)

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2859
    Offset said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Hitman?
    ...And Her?
    Female/Hitwoman on the front page of the Times today in fact !  Not a very good one it turns out
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1607

Well...slight derail, but oddly relevant - Upon my being admitted to Homerton Hospital at midnight with chest pains -

Doctor - where's Mrs001 ?
    Me - in Brighton on a training course
    Doctor - you need to call her and get her here immediately
    Me - It's 2am, what's going on ? I am not disturbing her without more information
    Doctor - we have very serious concerns you are gravely ill. You need to call her now and get her here
    Me - there's no way I am waking her up without more information
    Doctor - well, we cannot make you call her, but we will repeat our test at 4am
    Me - ok

7am

Head Consultant - what are you doing here ?
    Me - er...waiting to die ?
    Head Consultant - you can go home
    Me - what ? your Doctor told me you had serious concerns and I needed to get my wife here
    Head Consultant - you are fine - he read the chart wrong
    Me - really ? how do I know that you are not reading it wrong and I only have minutes to live
    Head Consultant - darling, I have been doing this a long time. go home - we need the bed for someone who is really dying 
    8reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2859

Well...slight derail, but oddly relevant - Upon my being admitted to Homerton Hospital at midnight with chest pains -

Me - It's 2am, what's going on ? I am not disturbing her without more information
    Doctor - we have very serious concerns you are gravely ill. You need to call her now and get her here
    Me - ok

7am

Me - what ? your Doctor told me you had serious concerns and I needed to get my wife here
    Me - really ? how do I know that you are not reading it wrong and I only have minutes to live
    Head Consultant - darling, I have been doing this a long time. go home - we need the bed for someone who is really dying 
    And how has the rest of the day been ?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Me - ok

7am

To be fair, that's better than what happened when I went into hospital with severe chest pains.

Which is to say, they left me (along with 12 other people) sitting there waiting to be seen from 11:30pm until 9:30am the next day, at which point they had a shift change and palmed us off on another department that actually had doctors present.

Oddly enough, it wasn't even anywhere near Surrey.
    <space for hire>
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11139
    tFB Trader

Me - ok

7am

To be fair, that's better than what happened when I went into hospital with severe chest pains.

Which is to say, they left me (along with 12 other people) sitting there waiting to be seen from 11:30pm until 9:30am the next day, at which point they had a shift change and palmed us off on another department that actually had doctors present.

Oddly enough, it wasn't even anywhere near Surrey.
    That's nowt .... when my wife and I used the same doctor ... I went to collect my asthma prescription and found he'd put me on the pill! 
    While my Mrs had inhalers to spare!!! 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 14
    The lovely master builder at Fender Custom Shop said this to me on text today:

“I just can't believe somebody would take on a job like that without knowing what they're doing and do such crap work and expect you to pay for it. The photos you showed me are complete amateur work”.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The lovely master builder at Fender Custom Shop said this to me on text today:

“I just can't believe somebody would take on a job like that without knowing what they're doing and do such crap work and expect you to pay for it. The photos you showed me are complete amateur work”.
    I would strongly suggest you keep that message, and preferably screenshot it with a date and time. Something tells me that if you go down the legal route, it's going to be really useful.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 14
    Prior to that he had said:

“Wow! I am horrified to see what this so called "luthier" did to your guitars. These are amateur repairs at best. Unfortunately since the guitar was modified, it voids all warranty. 

…I would suggest removing the inserts, plugging the holes with dowels and redrilling. Those inserts you were trying to have installed are a constant issue. They strip, and come loose in the wood all the time. I always prefer to just dowel holes and redrill”.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31963
    edited June 14
    WezV said:
    Offset said:
    ^^ Fair point @darthed1981 - but there a few unhappy bunnies on here which would suggest this isn't an isolated incident.

My memory is crap but wasn't it John Birch who similarly ploughed ahead and did his own thang regardless of what the customer wanted?!  Happy to be corrected.
    John Birch was nothing more than a butcher who did whatever the hell he wanted before giving a guitar back in a VERY different state, possibly with different parts (not limited to small parts but necks and bodies, too!). He'd have been long out of business if the Fretboard had been a thing back then! Absolute madman and egotist.

My mind is going blank now but I'm sure I've met someone who had a guitar looked at by him that didn't end well...

J White is certainly surrounded by echoes of J Birch, that's for sure.
    I have a soft spot for JB because of his place in British Guitar history.  His mods are usually bad, his factory guitars are usually pretty good apart from a few additions of body filler hiding under paint.  His custom builds are all over the place.

It's easy to get blinkered when working on guitars - the ones you see are heavily skewed towards the examples with problems, and it's easy to forget there are still a lot of good examples out there.  Many lean into this to say how much better they are than the big factories.  I'm fairly sure JB saw himself as fixing all those issues. We now see it differently, but almost all of his ideas are based on the issues he saw musicians as having at the time.

I too have a soft spot for JB ... I've played quite a few of his own guitars and always quite enjoyed the experience. People now see him as butchering f'ine, old vintage guitars' - but at the time they were just ratty old guitars that didn't do what the customer wanted.   
    This is bollocks, my 63 strat just needed a refret and that was all that the then owner asked for. 
    It came back with a refinished neck, a different, homemade Fender logo, he'd dug out the clay dots and replaced them with pearloid ones, changed the scratch plate (he was fond of burning the originals as they gave off a pretty green flame) and painted the pickup covers with what looked like Tippex. 

He did exactly the same neck work on my mate's 62 Precision, again unasked for. 

Of course they were worth less in those days, but he wasn't carrying out customers' wishes, he was just mental. 

They might not have been fine vintage guitars, but they were much loved second hand guitars he was butchering without consent. 
    0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom