Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

It finally happened, the day I've been dreading since the birth of our first child

What's Hot

Sweet little 7 year old Abi, the light of my life came home from school with week with her homework...

Long division

jesus wept I've not done that since I was 7. I showed her how to do it using an easier method ... to which she sat arms folded with a cross face. "that's the 'garage' method, I need to do the long method". It turns out there's loads of ways of doing it now: chunking, long, garage, partitioning ... more genres that nu metal. Thank God for Google.

Bring back these, that's what I say ...

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Between primary school and big school, I forgot how to do it. Still have no clue.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137

Is that some kind of hurdy-gurdy, folky thing?

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4640
    Carry the 2, ALWAYS carry the 2.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    I'm not sure I was ever taught long division, hence I still can't do it
    All practice and no theory
  •  

Is that some kind of hurdy-gurdy, folky thing?

That young whipper snapper is a mechanical calculator. They we all the rage for us late '70s early '80s maths wizzes. Pre Mr. Sinclare natch

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6244
    edited November 2014
    The worst part of it is that they no longer teach them traditional long division so you have to learn a different and IMHO  inferior system.
    You're gonna love that ;)
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • Trad. long division works. teach her that and sod what the educational experts say.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • My eldest lad is in year 1. WTF is a split vowel digraph??!!
  • equalsql said:
    The worst part of it is that they no longer teach them traditional long division so you have to learn a different and IMHO  inferior system.
    You're gonna love that ;)

^ this

The method she is using is, for example, if you're dividing 296 by 7, first you work out the multiples of

1 x 7

2 x 7

5 x 7

10 x 7

20 x 70 then subtract it from the 296 in stages and add up the factors you used (ie 1 x, 5x, 20 x).

FFS

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a flipping maths degree and I say long division is pointless and unnecessary and it saddens me that they still teach it.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533

My eldest lad is in year 1. WTF is a split vowel digraph??!!
    Ah! The old teachers code! Quite simply Translated it means This lads dad is a tosser! .
    :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Trad. long division works. teach her that and sod what the educational experts say.
    Exactly!!! But apparently now they learn different 'strategies' so that they can choose their favourite. It kind of makes sense I suppose but its a lot more work in the mean time. And to be honest won't everyone just use the easiest method? Big shout out to the Garage Dividers whoop whooop

• Haha, they should use this situation as a contraceptive advert.

'Are you sure you want to teach long division to a child?' 

'Durex, for those moments when you want to avoid maths homework'.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Which one is garage? Isn't that just shit british faux-hip-hop division?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16967

Most schools now teach multiple methods  because it allows the child to understand the maths rather than just follow the process.  As a minimum it lets them select the method that works best for them.  It isn't the same for everyone.   I now tend to use 2 methods to check my answer on longer sums.

Its a different focus to just teaching you a method which you forget as soon as you leave the classroom.  A lot of the old school ways are all about remembering an easy method rather than the functions behind it.  if you trust your method it can make it hard to spot mistakes

Chunking is a bit long winded, but its great for emphasising the links between multiplication and division

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited November 2014
    I have a flipping maths degree and I say long division is pointless and unnecessary and it saddens me that they still teach it.
    Isn't that a bit like saying we don't need to teach boolean algebra because everybody works at FPGA or VLSI level? or that gear-shifting & clutch control is unnecessary because of automatic gearbxoes?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12101
    I have a flipping maths degree and I say long division is pointless and unnecessary and it saddens me that they still teach it.
    Isn't that a bit like saying we don't need to teach boolean algebra because everybody works at FPGA or VLSI level? or that gear-shifting & clutch control is unnecessary because of automatic gearbxoes?

yes and yes
  • but both are untrue
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12101
    I have a maths degree, and find it hard to know how to help my kids without confusing them.
    There are new methods now, some of which look unhelpful to me, but I'm not your typical student
    Often the kids have been set homework including topics they have not yet covered in class (so they tell me), and I cna end up tellinhg them stuff from too advanced a perspective

Ibought this book, but probably need to read it:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/More-Maths-Mums-Dads-Askew/dp/0224095315/ref=pd_cp_b_2

for younger kids there's this:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maths-Mums-Dads-Mike-Askew/dp/0224086359/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y

I'd have thought that long division and using log tables are not really much use now. Maths should all be about understanding the way numbers work, rather than learning how to do error-prone manual calculations that have no use in real life
  • But learning how to manipulate them is part of appreciating how they work. Otherwise it's like giving people pictures of scale patterns on a guitar without letting them play them on a real instrument.