Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Paying for guitars

What's Hot
TinLipTinLip Frets: 368
Hola forumites,

I'm planning on buying a guitar from a dude in Edinburgh (I'm in London). I've seen the pics and am pretty happy with what he is advertising.
I also know his full name and would be getting the courier to pick the guitar up from his work (have done a bit of Google snooping and he is who he says he is).

He's asked for payment through PayPal (gift I presume) and will release the guitar to be collected once the money has cleared.
I'm a bit nervous as once the money is in his bank account all I have to go on is hoping he sticks to his side of the bargain.

Any suggestions/wisdom?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11636
    tFB Trader
    That is the trouble with the Paypal gift thing - you don't have a contract if it's a gift and if you don't know each other it can be a risk

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    I bought a guitar over the forum unseen-I'm in Manchester guitar in Newcastle.

I organised the courier-so knew the address etc, and what time it was going then transferred the cash the morning it was being picked up (also in the morning). I checked the courier site to make sure the guitar was safely with the courier (it could have been an empty box but there we go) at the rough time it said it was.

There's a bit of trust involved I suppose, but with the homework you've done I wouldn't be too concerned with it. Mine was a relatively inexpensive guitar, so not sure I'd want to do it with something more expensive. I wouldn't do it through Gumtree either, I've more trust for this forum-especially if you can track their posting history..... 

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• TinLipTinLip Frets: 368
    Yeah, it's a £1000 Les Paul on the Gumtree.

I know what you are all thinking...and I'm thinking the same.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Actually there is a safer way, and I have done this in the past, admittedly with a less valuable guitar.

What you can do is make an arrangement with the seller to call you the moment the courier arrives at the door to collect it. You then ask to speak to the courier to make sure the item is all sound and signed for. You then press the "send" button on your bank transfer, and send a screenshot of your confirmation page to the seller. The seller then releases the guitar to the courier.

Of course this involves a bit of pre-planning and the seller needs to have some degree of faith in you that your screenshot is real, but like I said, it has worked for me in the past.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It'd be worth paying the extra for piece of mind if it was my decision.

Or a return train ticket and getting it in person!
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27684
    TinLip said:
    He's asked for payment through PayPal (gift I presume) and will release the guitar to be collected once the money has cleared.

It doesn't have to be PP Gift

You can ask him to send you a PP invoice, stating what the payment is for.  You pay him.  You also select to pay the PP charges so that he nets the full £1000.  OK, it costs you a few ££s on top, but that's for your peace of mind.

Having said that, I've no idea what protection PP offers you in a purely private transaction - read their T&Cs.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    TinLip said:

If you have access to a car, just go and get it.
    Fuel is almost £1 per litre and it really isn't as far as you think. You can drive from London to Edinburgh and back again in one day, ok it's a long day but i would spend £1,000 without spending it in person, in cash.

Depending on which car you drive it might cost up to £100 but i would rather do that than risk a grand.
    Alnico said:
    TinLip said:

If you have access to a car, just go and get it.
    Fuel is almost £1 per litre and it really isn't as far as you think. You can drive from London to Edinburgh and back again in one day, ok it's a long day but i would spend £1,000 without spending it in person, in cash.

Depending on which car you drive it might cost up to £100 but i would rather do that than risk a grand.
    A thirsty Xtrail ;)

But I get your point.

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6165
    Can you get him to meet you halfway, perhaps bung him some dosh for his fuel?
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    Just drive there - assuming the snow doesn't get too bad.  Gumtree isn't the best way to spend a grand. 
    It's a 7 hour drive one way. 

I spoke to the dude on the phone tonight and he seems legit. Here goes nothing...or a grand.

Maybe I'll sleep on it.

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    TTony's advice is gold. Pay with normal paypal, accept the fees if he doesn't want to, it amounts to a couple of %.

Here is the protection that paypal offers you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Panama_Jack666" said:
    Or a return train ticket and getting it in person!
    I went from London to Glasgow by train to collect a guitar bought off somebody on Musicradar, because I didn't trust couriers with a semi-acoustic.

I'm sure the ticket cost less than £100 and I went 1st class (bought in advance). The trip was really relaxing, free food & drink both ways and we had a nice chat over coffee while we did the deal.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12678
    That's what I'd do - take a train. London is easy to get around by public transport.

If you aren't comfy with carrying a grand in cash with you, pay him by PayPal gift when you see the guitar - you can do it from your phone these days or if you are going to his house, you could borrow his 'puter but just remember to log out fully afterwards!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Good luck with it, and good advice to be had here too.

I think that generally people are cool, that's been my experience anyway-but there are some twats out there too. I'd probably use it as an excuse to get to Edinbrough for a day out if spending that much. Or take @TTony's advice at the least

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    ......or perhaps see if there's someone here on the forum that lives in Edinburgh to collect it for you, (with some beer money their way)? You could talk to them on the phone and once they say that they have the guitar, you could transfer the money?

You need to spend money on shipping anyway so taking this approach doesn't cost more and gives piece of mind.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    i personally would never do payapl gift unless i know the seller personally...you can offer to cover the cost to him with going normal paypal, and they way you've bought yourself insurance.
  • Don't pay by PayPal gift unless it's someone you absolutely trust 100%

As a buyer you can opt to pay the fees on his behalf, assuming he insists on the full amount.

I also second the "go and get it" suggestions, Edinburgh is one of the most beautiful cities in Europe, make a trip of it.
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    He might be asking for gift because he's wary of the PayPal chargeback thing.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    TinLip said:
    It's a 7 hour drive one way. 

I spoke to the dude on the phone tonight and he seems legit. Here goes nothing...or a grand.

Maybe I'll sleep on it.

Manchester to Newcasthe is 2 1/2 hours. What about seeing if a trustworth forum member could collect it for you?