Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The "Jeepers I didn't know he could play like that' thread

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 31591
Evening all...

A thread dedicated to guitarists that you didn't really realise could play guitar.

I give you epicly talented Mr David A Stewart letting rip with something almost gilmouresque on Here Comes the Rain Again. Scroll to 4:20 for solo.

Spotter's Corner- the sublime Clem Burke on drums putting in a magnificent performance...

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 11041
    edited January 2015
    Such a simple, unaffected, charming and tastefully played little piece by Steve Vai:

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    @viz

Yes, Vai deffo falls into the catagory of someone I didn't think could really play....

;)

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3308
    Sammy Hagar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Nigel Tuffnel too!
  • Boon Gould, very unusual style but very nimble, in my opinion he was underrated. 

2:48 ish for solo, some nice melodic lines too.

and this

Got to add Nik Kershaw as well.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited January 2015
    Deijavoo said:
    Sammy Hagar.

Good shout. I saw VH on the Right Here Right Now tour (NEC, Thunder opened IIRC) and had no idea Hagar could play, him and Eddie did a little guitar duel spot.

Like this:

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3871
    Dave Stewart is 'our' Prince as far as I'm concerned. Hugely talented, and taller.

Then there's Andy Fairweather Low, Tony Joe White (Jesus, that voice), where to stop?
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10890
    Bruno Mars is a pretty tasty player.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Lil Wayne......what a legend No wait not a legend....the other thing...a bell end
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Edge's solo at 1:30 blew me away when I first heard it, and remains one of my favourite solos ever. Didn't know he had it in him!

• Oh and Lindsay Buckingham doing Big Love solo. If you haven't seen it, see it. Now.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 8092

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    edited January 2015
    I don't think many people know quite how good Billy Corgan really is... very underrated.

4:23 here - his best solo ever. Absolutely sublime from start to finish, and really rather fast in places. Amazing tone as well.

2:03 here - again, some great playing.

There's a video of him from 1985 shredding unaccompanied during a band rehearsal - pretty unmusical, but very fast and clean. He'd toned down the Van Halen influence by the time of this album but sometimes a little lick just slips out...
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • RocknRollDave;479978" said:
    Edge's solo at 1:30 blew me away when I first heard it, and remains one of my favourite solos ever. Didn't know he had it in him!

I like a lot of his guitar work from that era too, in particular the solo from the live version of "silver and gold".
    Bucket said:
    I don't think many people know quite how good Billy Corgan really is... very underrated.

4:23 here - his best solo ever. Absolutely sublime from start to finish, and really rather fast in places. Amazing tone as well.

2:03 here - again, some great playing.

There's a video of him from 1985 shredding unaccompanied during a band rehearsal - pretty unmusical, but very fast and clean. He'd toned down the Van Halen influence by the time of this album but sometimes a little lick just slips out...
    Wisdomania. He can fair rip when he wants.
  • @Bellycaster - Totally with you on both of those. And with great songs too :-)
  • Oh and Lindsay Buckingham doing Big Love solo. If you haven't seen it, see it. Now.

Love that version
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • How about Sacha Distel the old Fench crooner, watch him go at about 3 mins in. As for Sammy Hagar, saw him at Southampton Gaumont 1981, hell of a show, that guy can play.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2015
    Lil Wayne......what a legend No wait not a legend....the other thing...a bell end
    Oh wow,thanks for posting that.

That's probably the first time I've experienced that feeling of superiority you get when you know you're better at something than someone else and that there is someone out there who is actually worse on guitar than me.

@PolarityMan I am forever in you're dept 
    :D
    Edge's solo at 1:30 blew me away when I first heard it, and remains one of my favourite solos ever. Didn't know he had it in him!
    Totally agree Dave.Last weekend I was listening to Boy,which is the first album I ever bought but haven't listened to it in around twenty- five years.I'd forgotten how solid Edges playing was on that album.Some great solo work on it too.It's actually the album that inspired me to take up guitar.
    He's definitely not given the credit he deserves.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom