Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Amp Reverb. What's the point?

What's Hot
JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1625
Inspired by the "what's the point of amp trem when there are better pedals out there" thread (which actually I argued against given how nice the Swart trem is) I thought I'd put this out there.

I have NEVER heard an amp reverb that sounds as good as the decent reverb pedals out there. 

I include in this old Fenders (silverface Deluxe Reverb and Princeton), newer boutique amps including Two Rocks and even the Carr range (though they are perhaps the nicest amp verbs I've heard). 

Now, maybe it's that I simply prefer halls and plates to springs these days but I routinely switch off the amp's reverb and use the Flint or the Big Sky. They're just better.

*Puts on helmet*

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17808
    tFB Trader
    In the most part I agree with you especially as a lot of amps have quite poor digital reverb these days. 

If it's being used as an "always on" then it's the convenience of not having to have pedals.

The best reverb I've had however was on a Pro Reverb. 

I have never come across a digital spring reverb (Including Strymon) that didn't sound a bit pants.

In general I tend to prefer a plate verb so it's usually pedals.
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    I'd agree - it's the one thing about my otherwise lovely amp that i'm not fussed on. Too dark, too muddy and not footswitchable, so it stays off and my Verbzilla does all the work in that department. I can't say i've come across an on-board reverb that was ever better than "ok".
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8816
    It's an historic thing, from the days before pedals or digital. Like a lot of these things, they get incorporated into guitar history, and we perpetuate them.

For me, reverb gives depth to the guitar sound in a small room, and just adds clutter in a large room. I'd rather have it on a pedal where I can not only adjust the volume, but also the timing of early and late reflections.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    edited January 2015
    I like the verb on my Peavey, but it does introduce a fair bit of noise/hum so I'll probably move to a pedal. I'll have more flexibility too.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3356
    I like the reverb on my PRS SE20 and its footswichable too, just sounds pleasant in my room.
  • I used to agree with this, then I bought my Two Rocks, which has a good reverb, and briefly disagreed until I bought the Strymon Flint, which has a better reverb! So now the amp reverb stays off unless I am going pedal-free.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72899
    A *good* spring reverb is a thing of beauty and sounds fantastic, especially in a combo where it picks up vibration from the speakers and adds more complexity than a digital will - I'm surprised you don't like the reverb in old Fenders... but if you don't, you don't! It's not wrong, just taste. (Or lack of :-P .)

A bad spring reverb - which includes many solid-state-driven ones in more modern amps, and even some valve-driven ones - is really not as good as a decent digital. Digitals are now really good-sounding - although some suffer from poorly-chosen parameters which aren't accessible on the amp (eg Marshall Vintage Modern) - and are much more reliable than most modern spring reverb tanks.

I'd take a good digital over a bad solid-state or valve reverb, a good solid-state over a bad digital or valve, and a good valve reverb over anything. If that makes sense :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • You need to plug into a vintage ampeg
    reverberocket. the sweetest, lushest reverb and Trem sounds I've ever tried
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    I love the sound of a deluxe reverb or in fact most fenders. It's rich and complex and more natural than a lot of pedals I've tried. I also find it doesn't intrude or overpower your sound if used within reason.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1280
    There's also the question of whereabouts in the chain you want your reverb. 

Personally I like (most of) my dirt before my reverb and I like using my amp for drive - if you don't have an effects loop available (or don't want to go four cable) then built-in reverb is the only game in town....
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4784
    edited January 2015
    Convenient if you are travelling light & using the amp straight with no pedal board; some 'onboard' reverbs are better than others.  A lot probably depends on how fussy you are on your reverbs.

The digital reverb on my Laney Cub 12R is surprisingly pretty decent, & it's a good enough little amp to sound nice just played on its own with no external pedals; ditto my Laney VC30-210 which has an accutronics spring reverb which is fairly nice sounding.  However, the spring reverbs on my Marshall DSL401 and Valvestate 8080 are pretty 'meh' - OK for a bit of ambience but there's not much range/depth there.  My Vox Valvetronix AD120VTX has spring, room and plate reverb options with a depth control, and all these are very useable especially the spring reverb which is modelled on a Fender circuit. 

I will be putting together a bigger pedal board and will then have the space to add a reverb pedal, which will give me extra flexibility.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31795
    I'm pretty fond of my Princeton reverb, but at home I tend to only use it for a touch of ambience. At gigs I have the reverb and trem set high but switched off, so I can bring them in briefly as an obvious effect when needed.

For general use a good digital unit is definitely handier and more versatile than amp reverb and can be fine-tuned to sit in the mix perfectly, but if like me you have a penchant for crashing, twangy, valve-powered surfiness then a digital box can only ever be an emulation.

I have three or four rack mounted digital reverbs in my studio which all sound very good, but what happens when you kick 'em?
    Nowt, that's what.
    :)

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11679
    tFB Trader
    I loved the reverb on the Fender prosonic I had (the predecessor of the Supersonic) - totally lush.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28352
    I prefer it for the convenience. I don't do pedals, I can't be arsed with getting stuff out and plugging it in etc.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7819
    I don't use amp reverb, mainly because I feel it's more of an effect so when I want it I want total control over it, so I go pedal only.
  • SRichSRich Frets: 763
    edited January 2015
    +1 on that @JohnPerry

For a lot of amps I think there's a subtle distinction between using a reverb pedal as I do at bedroom levels and then using it playing out in a band environment. The only times I have used it volume, reverb pedals don't sound as good as the built in tank on my amps. IMO.

At more modest volumes, my Flint absolutely delivers just the right effect.

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    At the moment all of my amps don't have reverb. I purely use pedals as I've never seemed to bond with amp based verb, but the idea of a separate outboard valve reverb tank has got me GASing right now. The Satellite Fury I've got my eye on has the ability to be used as an extra gain section so it could just end up being an expensive OD boost, but i very much doubt it ;)
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Anybody used a Hall of fame in front of the amp rather than a loop?  I don't have a loop on my ta-15 and while I don't really use reverb at volume I do like it in a house/small room environment.  Considering how many people I know ave raved about how good the HOF is I've been pretty disappointed with it tbh.  I'm not talking about using the amp for dirt either this is with a clean amp with pedals for drive. 
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Adam_MD said:
    Anybody used a Hall of fame ..... I've been pretty disappointed with it tbh.  
    Now you know what "TC" stands for......
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Amp reverb units like the Accutronics can be high maintenance.

I speak as someone who had one...er....tank on me.