Good Cheap Clean Combo that takes pedals well

What's Hot
jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
Just sold my AC30 & as it won't be till years end I can afford a new head & cab. Id like a cheapish combo with a good clean & I can use at home. Im not in a band at the moment, but if I can Id like to gig again, so something useable for small gigs & rehearsals would be ideal.

Thoughts folks?
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Hot rod deluxe
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Ahhh I have tried one of them, I didn't like it. too toppy, not enough low end grunt for my money
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2339
    Hughes kettner either 20th, 25th anniversary or one of the statesman combos go for little money 2nd hand and are great
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7349
    rather than descend into yet another endless list of amps just plucked outta thin air - why not tell us what you like or don't like first??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72904
    You're going to really struggle getting that big deep thump you liked from the AC30 from anything smaller, especially if you've already found a Hotrod doesn't have it.

This is exactly why I don't like small amps.

For what it's worth I recently A/B'd my Mesa Trem-o-verb against an AC30 that I was checking over for sale, and the AC30 had *more* low-end. So much so that I nearly bought it… in fact I'm still wondering if I should.

The only small valve amp I've heard that came close to having that sort of full sound at low volume was the Traynor YCV20, but I was unhappy with the build quality of that, so I sold it. Which I still slightly regret, too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Hmmm you could be right :( I borrowed a AC15 C2 for rehearsals when I was in the band of drug dependants... Maybe a C1? Or is it that Im addicted to the sound of a 2 x 12?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72904
    I think it's a bit of both. The AC15 just sounds smaller and less deep, even through a 2x12". (I owned an AC15TBX too.) The AC30CC1 was closer, but is not going to be cheap. 

The amazing thing about the Traynor is that it's a 20W, 2-EL84 1x12" and it still has a huge amount of bottom-end thump. Be careful you don't get one of the early ones with the cheap Rocket speaker though - or plan to upgrade immediately.

Or maybe think about a decent old cheap solid-state amp, some of them sound surprisingly good clean.

Or I have a spare Trem-o-verb you could buy :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• McTootMcToot Frets: 2043
    Laney VC30s inevitably get chucked into the ring and are both in plentiful supply and pretty cheap. I had the VC15 and it was nice enough. The 30 is loud but perfectly useable at home, I think.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5199
    I loved my Blackstar Artisan 15 which loved pedals and sounded massive even at home levels :)
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    Peavey classic 50, or even the smaller 30, take pedals well and can be had quite cheap.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    Peavey Bandit! (somebody was going to say it eventially so it may as well have been me)
  • tbmtbm Frets: 585
    jeztone2 said:
    A big dynamic clean, Fender Twin, Vox AC30, Marshall esque clean.
    Define 'cheapish'. The clean side of the Orange TH30 will get you that kind of thing IMO. Switches down to 15 and 7 watts too, so fairly practical. Had one for a while and really liked it. £4-500 would get you the 1x12 combo i reckon. 

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    McToot said:
    Laney VC30s inevitably get chucked into the ring and are both in plentiful supply and pretty cheap. I had the VC15 and it was nice enough. The 30 is loud but perfectly useable at home, I think.
    he said clean :-P

All flavours of Fender twin can be had for £500 and under. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    Yes, I saw a nice condition Twin go for about £370 the other day. You can gig pretty much anywhere with one of those.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7349
    edited April 2015
    ...well, my Pignose G40V kicks you in the Balls on anything past 12 on the dial... 2x6L 3x12AX7 40w 1x10" Bassman/Marshall circuit

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee301/snotmale/Things that make you go Ding/bassmanstack.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    McToot said:

he said clean :-P

All flavours of Fender twin can be had for £500 and under. 
    But the Chiropractor bill will be at least a grand. ;)
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1765
    68 Custom Princeton Reverb
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4620
    I <3 my Bandit
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    tbm said:
    jeztone2 said:
    A big dynamic clean, Fender Twin, Vox AC30, Marshall esque clean.
    Define 'cheapish'. The clean side of the Orange TH30 will get you that kind of thing IMO. Switches down to 15 and 7 watts too, so fairly practical. Had one for a while and really liked it. £4-500 would get you the 1x12 combo i reckon. 
    I used to have a th30 and wouldnt recommend it for this TBH the clean channel breaks up very quickly and easily which sounds great but it makes getting crystal fender and vox type cleans challenging at high volumes.