"Birth year guitar" for 1979 - what would you choose?

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3020
    woody;609213" said:
    Im with dr bob.. i bitterly miss my 1979 hamer sunburst (ex andy summers i believe! ) beautiful cherry flame top and duncans..i travelled all the way from midlands ireland to newcastle to buy it in approx 1989.. i sold it in 1996 to buy a peugeot 205gti, my first car..
    1.6 or 1.9 ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • woodywoody Frets: 74
    1.6 rob, about 2 years later i got the 1.9,didnt like it as much though. the 1.6 was just a sweeter car.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8573
    Gru said:
    Just coming back to this

Why does this always come up with guitars?

Surely with a guitar, it's about how it feels and plays? Not what date stamp it has. If you found an 19XX and it wasn't that great, would you still buy?

Personally, I see more value in creating a 1 off, either from a luthier or partscaster route. With personal logo and serial no. 1 of 1.

Also, What happens if Guitar X Was made in 19XX, but didn't get stamped with serial until 199XX+1, does that mean it's no good?
    Pretty much the sme conclusion I've come to TBH. I started to have a look around as I'm four-oh later this year, but it is a pretty silly idea when you break it down, unless there is a particular guitar you've been hankering after for ages that fits the year. But then, you're more likely to have a guitar from your yoof or early playing days that you've been lusting after than your YOB.

I also don't want too many guitars that I can never trade in the future, - having something that is sentimental that never gets played is of very little interest. Because of this, I rarely allow my wife to buy me guitar related things for birthdays etc, as I don't want the discussion if or when I want to move it on.

What this basically means is that a). I'm not going to get a YOB guitar and more importantly b). I'm not going to wait until my birthday.

;)
  • DinosauriaDinosauria Frets: 67
    edited April 2015
    I recently bought one that is my birth year (1974). I'm currently waiting for it to be delivered. I didn't buy it for that reason tho. The guitar is a Fender Mustang with a horrible "fine art" style painted finish by some aspiring artist. I intend to strip it and get it up to snuff, I mainly bought it as I wanted a new project and the price was right.

The fact it's from by birth year is just a little bonus. Plus we're both a bit of a project so it seems fitting.
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    There's cock all good guitars from '97 that I can see for me :( the ibanez 3 a side looks weird for a 6 string, it looks far more in proportion on their 8's imo
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12720
    Shergold Masquerader Custom - my 12 String version was built in 1979 (not for sale).
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    impmann;612015" said:
    Shergold Masquerader Custom - my 12 String version was built in 1979 (not for sale).
    Now that's a cool guitar.

The late Jack Golder showed me round the factory ('workshop' would be more accurate) somewhere around 1979-1980, when my sister lived in Essex.

Peter Gabriel has one of their 12 strings.

I'd really like one.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    so for 1976...it would have to be this...

and just for good measure...

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3611
    I would love a birth year guitar. Trouble is the first year bursts or first year ES335s are a bit spendy for my pocket money.

Even a 58 fender would have a few zeros on the price tag.

:-(

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    edited April 2015
    GavHaus said:
    I love Antiguas...I may be the only one
    yep - but I am sure you can get meds for that problem  - over the counter now too -  any Gibson authorised dealer should have them..
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • Depends if you actually want it to be your number one guitar. I was born in 1987 and for me I'd almost certainly look at a PRS if I wanted to play the thing.
  • ADPADP Frets: 184
    GavHaus said:
    Oh man, I want this!

vintage roland g-202 1981-82 natural mij japan synth electric guitar hardtail strat FREE SHIPPING! https://reverb.com/item/459469-vintage-roland-g-202-1981-82-natural-mij-japan-synth-electric-guitar-hardtail-strat-free-shipping?device=ios-app
    The G-505 is the one to have if you want the Stratish body shape. I have one in sunburst, but the candy apple red is very nice, too. Clapton had one. It wasn't even close to my birth year, but the Roland G-303 was the guitar that I wanted from when I became aware of guitars. I finally got one about nine years ago. And a couple more in the past year. :-O
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    D'Aquisto
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5218
    Evilmags said:
    D'Aquisto
    Bless you.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    english_bob;612690" said:
    Evilmags said:

D'Aquisto

Bless you.
    That might just be the best guitar joke I've ever heard. Really made me larf....
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31919
    Me too!