Ricky 330

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• pmgpmg Frets: 301
    If find it to be a perfect fit for my hands and not bothered at all by the fingerboard.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72915
    pmg said:
    @icbm can you elaborate on this please? (Neck profiles)
    By comparison with some other manufacturers they have remained very consistent, but they have varied a bit. The fingerboard width has always remained the same - apart from the 650 and 660 series and the 360L, as far as I know - but the depth and exact shape has varied somewhat over the years, although they've generally remained fairly rounded. It seems to remain quite consistent for a period, they then seem to just change it when they feel like it! Some of the changes have more or less coincided with the type and size of the inlays, others haven't.

The string spacing has also varied a tiny bit on the 360 - originally it was narrower than the 330 because the neck is bound and the strings were spaced to the width *inside* the binding, but at some point they changed to using the full width *including* the binding. I'm not sure when the change was but I had a mid-90s 360/12 with the narrower spacing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Not sure how you define high gain, but this might be of interest (I really like his playing & the cat on top of the Vox)

I think they are very underrated, I can understand some people finding the necks a bit narrow, but if it's OK for you they are very versatile sound wise. I've said on here before that they also seem quite reasonably priced for what they are, especially the semis & they come with a very good case. I can't claim to have seen dozens, but the quality control seems very good too.

Oddly the sound I find most difficult to get is the jangle, I tend to use a RAT with the filter turned down, & a little bit of distortion.

There were a couple in the classifieds last time I looked, hope you find one you like soon.

• streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1632
    They do overdrive and distortion very well imho. I actually prefer the newer high gain pick ups to the vintage; the ones on my 360/12 WB are incredible - sweet and jangly but also can really bite and push an amp...!

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q493/Warren3333/Rickenbacker 360WB 12 String/P1030779.jpg

ooh. Got any more pics?

I think I prefer sharper edged Rics.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    hobbio;676698" said:
    I really liked the lacquered fingerboard too.

The whole thing just oozed class. Really high quality guitars, these. I had no idea that I would like them this much, I wish I'd tried one years ago because I'd own one by now if I had!
    I've only ever played a couple of Rickie basses, but the lacquered fingerboards are a delight, in my limited opinion.

• slackerslacker Frets: 2269
    This thread has inspired me to play my 330 into the AC4C1 on the edge of breakup. My main guitar is a Les Paul and that's where I'm comfortable. There's something about Rics. You can never buy just one...:)
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    ooh. Got any more pics?
    Try here - @wazmeister's post about that guitar.
    We are all Chameleons...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9667
    Thanks @TonyR !

I changed the knobs, and fitted a gold truss rod cover and scratch plate ! It's a belter - and unlike some Rics, NEVER goes out of tune.

• TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    Yep all of mine stay in tune too, the only one that didn't was the 620/12 I had, but I think all that needed was setting up,properly.
    We are all Chameleons...
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1632
    TonyR said:
    ooh. Got any more pics?
    Try here - @wazmeister's post about that guitar.
    Thank you.  :)
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33891
    I love the look, I love the sound but I just can't deal with the feel of them.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    octatonic said:
    I love the look, I love the sound but I just can't deal with the feel of them.This is my view of their basses. I love 'em but can't get on with actually playing them.

I love the guitars though. My 360/6 is incredibly versatile. And has a really comfy neck.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12992
    I've always been scared to try a 330 because I absolutely love the sound and aesthetic but can't get anywhere near to justifying the price just now. They're so unique that there's no cheaper alternative either...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72915
    The basses fit me like nothing else too. A couple of weeks ago I used a friend's P-Bass for a band practice instead of my 4001 and it just wasn't the same. And it's a perfectly good P-Bass.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    I almost wish I hadn't tried one now. I need one, but I can't afford one. :(

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12992
    ICBM;677195" said:
    The basses fit me like nothing else too. A couple of weeks ago I used a friend's P-Bass for a band practice instead of my 4001 and it just wasn't the same. And it's a perfectly good P-Bass.
    I've shied off trying the 4001 in recent years for exactly the same reason.

I played one years ago but that was before I actually became "a bass player" so didn't have any frame of reference at the time.

Suspect if I ever have special birthday GAS or inheritance to spend my local Ric stockists may be in for a treat...
  • Mine is in the classifieds just now if anyone's interested... ;)
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3686
    Beautiful things.

I definitely see a 330/360 in my future...... in fireglo of course.
    :)
  • NervousJohnNervousJohn Frets: 191
    edited June 2015
    hobbio;677217" said:
    I almost wish I hadn't tried one now. I need one, but I can't afford one. :(
    Two years saving plus an inheritance was what it took me. Waiting just makes it all the sweeter when you get there.

• Gassing hard myself at the mo - a pupil just bought one & it sounds awesome! Put through the OR15, makes a great pair...