What peoples views on a fender cd-60s

What's Hot
Andyc58Andyc58 Frets: 0
edited June 29 in Acoustics
Hi people. I'm new to the guitar world at the age of 34. Bought a cheap guitar from argos lol.But the shop I took it to to get it setup up couldn't do anything with it as it's a rubbish guitar. Any thought on the fender cd-60s. As im looking at this guitar as my next one. Any info would be great
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

  • ICBMICBM Frets: 31123
    edited June 29
    Ah, I thought you meant it was the Fender that the shop couldn't set up. Argos explains it :).

    The other part still stands though - Fender are pretty good for quality control even at the low end of the range. A lot of people look down on Fender acoustics, but personally I think they're fine.
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • enjoenjo Frets: 34
    I have a Fender CP-60s next to my desk at work for noodling and annoying my colleagues - Its a good guitar. I find dreadnoughts (like the CD-60) a bit big for me to be comfy to play but if you are bigger than me it will be a decent starter guitar. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Andyc58Andyc58 Frets: 0
    edited June 29
    I would like to get one that has bigger gaps between the strings and I'm finding it hard to get the notes correct
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 2949
    Andyc58 said:
    bigger gaps between the strings
    Which hand feels cramped? The picking fingers or the fretting ones? 
    I fear the Geeks, even when they bear GIFs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • LewyLewy Frets: 663
    edited June 29
    Andyc58 said:
    I would like to get one that has bigger gaps between the strings and I'm finding it hard to get the notes correct
    Bear in mind that it IS hard to get the notes clean as a beginner, but it's very unlikely to be the guitar's fault (once you have something vaguely playable - not the Argos job). Things like string spacing are nuanced preferences and I really wouldn't get hug up on them at this stage. Out there in guitar land there are people with shovel hands playing skinny-necked guitars, and toddlers playing full sized dreadnoughts with heavy strings. Assuming the action is reasonable, the instrument is seldom a limiting factor.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 13577
    Lewy said:
    Andyc58 said:
    I would like to get one that has bigger gaps between the strings and I'm finding it hard to get the notes correct
    Bear in mind that it IS hard to get the notes clean as a beginner, but it's very unlikely to be the guitar's fault (once you have something vaguely playable - not the Argos job). Things like string spacing are nuanced preferences and I really wouldn't get hug up on them at this stage. Out there in guitar land there are people with shovel hands playing skinny-necked guitars, and toddlers playing full sized dreadnoughts with heavy strings. Assuming the action is reasonable, the instrument is seldom a limiting factor.
    Yes, definitely a preference thing for later on. Don’t sweat it - I learned on an acoustic with an action that was higher than Maradonna at an Argentina game and it served to toughen up my fingers and *really* appreciate a decent guitar later on!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Andyc58Andyc58 Frets: 0
    Ok.thanks alot. The cd-60s will be the one then.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 8597
    fender acoustics = firewood
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • enjoenjo Frets: 34
    What is your choice for a budget acoustic Phil? I've found them to be perfectly playable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 31123
    fender acoustics = firewood
    That must be why Elvis, Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash played them then :).

    Personally I'd take a Fender over quite a lot of the supposedly more "approved" acoustic guitar brands, at least until you start to spend fairly serious money.
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 96
    It's very rarely the guitar. It's mostly about hard work. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Andyc58Andyc58 Frets: 0
    Also been looking at the Yamaha fg800m. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 906
    Andyc58 said:
    Also been looking at the Yamaha fg800m. 
    There's nothing wrong with Fender, I've had a Cd lying around for years but I would get the Yamaha.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 31123
    Kilgore said:
    Andyc58 said:
    Also been looking at the Yamaha fg800m. 
    There's nothing wrong with Fender, I've had a Cd lying around for years but I would get the Yamaha.
    You need to play them both. There’s no quality difference between low-end Yamaha and Fender acoustics... and in fact of the ones I’ve played, I’ve almost always preferred the Fenders.

    It’s also worth bearing in mind that Yamahas usually have slightly narrower necks and string spacing, although I’m not certain about that model.
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 906
    ICBM said:
    Kilgore said:
    Andyc58 said:
    Also been looking at the Yamaha fg800m. 
    There's nothing wrong with Fender, I've had a Cd lying around for years but I would get the Yamaha.
    You need to play them both. There’s no quality difference between low-end Yamaha and Fender acoustics... and in fact of the ones I’ve played, I’ve almost always preferred the Fenders.

    It’s also worth bearing in mind that Yamahas usually have slightly narrower necks and string spacing, although I’m not certain about that model.
    Good point on the neck/string spacing.

    At that price point I would also take a look at the Sigma DM ST.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Andyc58Andyc58 Frets: 0
    So an update. Decided to get the fender. Still no idea how to play. Just hope this guitar will help me getting my fingers in right place. The Argos guitar I have is rubbish
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 8597
    enjo said:
    What is your choice for a budget acoustic Phil? I've found them to be perfectly playable.
    I didn't like the tone of them that I've played. Yamaha seem to be OK, but some people say they're rubbish unplugged and others say they're rubbish plugged in. The last budget price acoustic I bought was a Gretsch Jim Dandy which I thought sounded better than the price tag would suggest it should, but I'm picky about intonation: IMO the JD is tolerable with new strings but as they get older the intonation gets further out of whack.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1145
    Andyc58 said:
    So an update. Decided to get the fender. Still no idea how to play. Just hope this guitar will help me getting my fingers in right place. The Argos guitar I have is rubbish
    It's you that will help you get your fingers in the right place!

    I quite liked the only Fender acoustic I have played, you might want to consider getting that set up by someone who knows what they are doing.

    My first point is serious though, I was about 40 when I started playing guitar and went through the whole "it's the guitars fault" that everything I played sounded shite and was really difficult. Even though my early guitars sounded great when other people played them I kept buying more expensive guitars thinking things would get easier. This is true up until a point but the truth is you need to practice loads! Don't make the mistake I made of blaming the tools!

    BTW - ten years later I've got a high end custom shop acoustic and I am still shite! ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 795
    edited July 4
    Andyc58 said:
    I would like to get one that has bigger gaps between the strings and I'm finding it hard to get the notes correct
    have you heard of cleartone conversions?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 755
    I've got a yamaha fg420l and a fender. The yamaha has a narrower neck. It cost me more than the fender. Both good but I'm more used to neck on the yamaha as I've had it longer. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Andyc58Andyc58 Frets: 0
    Already noticed that I can get my fingers where they need to be with the new guitar. The Argos one does not have much of a gap between the frets.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 31123
    Sadly, the Argos guitar is probably complete junk. I work for a small mail-order company which sells some guitars in that sort of price range, and although we inspect them and weed out the total dogs, sending out the ‘good’ ones still frustrates me - they’re just barely playable, and the difference between them and ones costing only a small amount more is huge. But the Chinese factories will make something down to a budget if there is a market for it, and a lot of people simply want the cheapest possible product, even if the chances are it will actually put them off playing.
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 906
    ICBM said:
    lot of people simply want the cheapest possible product, even if the chances are it will actually put them off playing.
    I think this born out of ignorance more than anything else. The general attitude is, they're only bits of wood, how dfferent can they be.

    My 8 year old plays in school, he has a 'budget' guitar but it is set up well.

     I often get asked for advice from other parents. Usually they're keen to buy some kind of horrid £30 'guitar' based on the rationale that they might not stick at it. I try persuade them that there is very little chance that they will 'stick at it' learning on what is essentially a toy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
Sign In or Register to comment.