Clockwork Wolf & Co - In The Sunshine (Formerly Rob Chapman Band)

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 5919
edited December 4 in Music
Well, Rob Chapman has stepped up the audio and video quality to a whole new level. This is pro stuff from the "amateur" Youtuber and seriously impressive.

The hammy acting in the video aside (at this level he needs a screenwriter and director), the production is right up with "pro" stuff and he's clearly targeting the big money pool of the US by reinventing himself into a more mainstream dirty blues rock vibe as opposed to the metalhead, T-shirt wearing, short wearing dude niche he has inhabited to date.

The song is pretty good, great sounding guitars and excellent production.

I like it.

Michael Fish is God

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 1489
    Yep - a definite American 80s vibe to the whole thing. Good video. Decent enough song. Solid production. They should be proud of that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 5919
    edited December 3
    The EP is pretty good, some tasty guitar tones, especially the 'Old For New' solo.

Michael Fish is God

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Listened to the EP on Spotify whilst cooing dinner today. I had my reservations but really enjoyed it actually. Even more so than the heavier stuff he does with Dorje. His voice seems well suited to this more bluesy stuff and I thought the tones/playing was great.

I recognised a lot fot he riffs from the Andertons videos as well. I think he has been saving them up for a project like this.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 621
    edited December 5
    Obviously a very talented guy, but every piece of music he has released, that I have heard, I have not been a fan of, bar one song. 

Fair play to him. He's in the music industry and has a guitar company.

This is also not my cup of tea. Not a fan of the vocals/lyrics. This might also be why I dislike the way Chapman / the guitar company names their guitars, pickups, and the descriptions they use. Reminds me of 12/13 year old me playing AD&D. Something lacking maturity. 

But, as a balance, I'll repeat that he has a lot of talent and I'd love to have his job.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • He is a really good guitarist, I quite like this, but his voice grates on me in the same way that the guy from Volbeat grates on me too, sounds like they have had the same voice training.

If you like this bluesy rock vibe thing then you may enjoy these guys from a land far far away

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Paul7926Paul7926 Frets: 150
    I like the song but whilst the video is well made it didn't really do anything for me.
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 147
    I like Rob and don't mind his music or career, but that video felt a bit like a student's project. I guess you can't do much without it covering the same well-trodden cliches - and that goes for the lyrics too. 
    Pedals. 
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 601
    edited December 5
    better than anything I could produce.. well done Chappers..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 4968
    He is a really good guitarist, I quite like this, but his voice grates on me in the same way that the guy from Volbeat grates on me too, sounds like they have had the same voice training.

I wonder if it's the accent?  Chappers is trying hard to sound American but every now and then his English accent slips out and sounds weird.  I don't know Volbeat but I know they're Danish.

I noticed the same thing on the Martin Miller/Andy Timmons clip of "Still Got The Blues" the other day - I liked Miller's singing but occasionally he gets a bit Germanic. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 1251
    I liked the EP, his voice has improved with every release - the first Dorje was a little sketchy, 2nd was miles better and his voice actually seems to suit this one. 
    I'd also like to add that charging £20 for an EP for a relatively unknown band is crazy. Yes, it is heavyweight coloured vinyl, but it is an insanely high price considering it's an EP.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 12569
    I'd also like to add that charging £20 for an EP for a relatively unknown band is crazy. Yes, it is heavyweight coloured vinyl, but it is an insanely high price considering it's an EP.
    I think calling them a "relatively unknown band" isn't quite accurate, given that the EP's been #1 on the blues charts on both Amazon and iTunes for a few days now. For reference, that's beating Bonamassa, Beth Hart, Robert Cray and Seasick Steve. Sure, a new release from any of those would probably eclipse them, but still...
    "Mains is ouchy if you get it up you" - Sporky
    edited December 5
    I think calling them a "relatively unknown band" isn't quite accurate, given that the EP's been #1 on the blues charts on both Amazon and iTunes for a few days now. For reference, that's beating Bonamassa, Beth Hart, Robert Cray and Seasick Steve. Sure, a new release from any of those would probably eclipse them, but still...
    Perhaps not so much in the near future, but time will tell whether it continues. They've only suddenly become known on the usual channels through social media. I would in no way say they are established.  I wish them well as it seems they are doing extremely well, but £20 for an EP?! I paid £20 for the Smashing Pumpkins silver version of their new 8 track album, and I still think it should have been longer, but it is the Pumpkins....
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 12569
    Perhaps not so much in the near future, but time will tell whether it continues. I wish them well as it seems they are doing extremely well, but £20 for an EP?! I paid £20 for the Smashing Pumpkins silver version of their new 8 track album, and I still think it should have been longer, but it is the Pumpkins....
    Well, I suspect it's going to be true of any release Rob does - everything he's released so far has gone straight to the top of the respective charts (Dorje's first attempt was top of all charts on Amazon for about a week). It's the benefit of having a reasonably-sized and dedicated subscriber base on YouTube.
    "Mains is ouchy if you get it up you" - Sporky
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 5919

£2.99 on iTunes is fair though

Michael Fish is God

£2.99 on iTunes is fair though
    Absolutely!
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1803
    wow, that was horrible.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 112
    timmysoft said:
    wow, that was horrible.
    To be fair its not that bad, could do with a better singer
    There's a killer on the road His brain is squirmin' like a toad
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 1536
    It's a bit genre-hoppy of him. I mean that's his right obviously, but it's just odd. It's not eclectic, just a bit odd.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5500
    Great stuff RandallFlagg, I would never have heard this if it wasn't for you drawing my attention to it with this thread  I like it. Much better than Dorje. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Great stuff RandallFlagg, I would never have heard this if it wasn't for you drawing my attention to it with this thread  I like it. Much better than Dorje. 
    On that basis, try this:

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 4507

He's had his boobs done.
    CEO ACME Moats Inc.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5500
    On that basis, try this:

Not bad once it gets started, but I don't see the similarity at all.  
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 1489
    I’d never heard this band before, so just judged it on its own merits. I’m open to all music so enjoy listening to stuff that’s new (to me.)
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 5928
    Bluesy rock is my thing, but that just doesn’t do it for me.
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 981
    This is a really old song of Chapmans isn't it?
    On that basis, try this:

Not bad once it gets started, but I don't see the similarity at all.  
    Well, you may never have heard it if I hadn't posted it.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 5688
    Am I missing something, it’s pretty bad, good enough effort (and better than anything I’ve ever done) but would you reallym listen to it above all the great music that is out there?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1803
    Rob has no rhythm or sway with his vocals, there’s nothing memorable about the melody. He has a good tone to his voice but his technique is extremely forced and unnatural. It’s the same in Dorje, the vocal is the weakest part
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 799
    I don't like it at all. Fake 'authenticity' makes me puke.

let's have some more Bogshed...