learning a bit of theory - book etc. advice

What's Hot
VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15544

sorry if this has been covered before.

Fancy learning a bit of music theory and would like a bit of advice on a good resource. I have an unread copy of Chords and Scales for Guitarists by David Mead already, and was looking at Justin Sandercoes practical music theory e-book and was wondering if anyone has experience of either of these or if there's anything else out there I should look at? Whatever it is needs to start pretty much at the beginning kind of thing. 

I like the description of the Sandercoe book (and his materials generally, I think he's a top notch tutor) as it's a mix of practical exercises to learn theory. Not sure about the Mead book as only just started reading it this morning, but if they both cover the same material then I'll save a bit of money and stick with what I already have.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    I agree. When you pick a book stick with it. Maybe have a look at Ibreathemusic.com.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Both are great guys, but I don't agree with the pick one book thing, because I've read lots of books and some people use the words that simply make sense.

Which bit of theory are you trying to learn?
    Most bits of theory can be summed up nicely in one sentence, I found Justin great for that ... then it's just about practice and Justin has exercises for that and David is the master of those ;)

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15544

my problem is my knowledge of musical theory is so poor I don't even know what I want to know. Until my loooong lay off, all I really did was learn to play the dots on the page, without ever really knowing why I'm playing that dot there. So for me it's down to babe basics; why is that chord made up of those strings, what notes am I playing (I've never even learnt the notes on the fretboard), what do I play that scale over that chord, what notes am I playing, what happens when the chord changes, it's all stuff like that.

What's prompted this is I've just joined a folk orchestra and I'm playing with people who are playing fiddles, woodwind, squeeze boxes and so on, and they all know the notes they are playing. So anything more complex than playing basic chords rhythm (which I enjoy, don't get me wrong, making music with other people is a huge buzz) loses me, and I don't like this feeling, so I want to be able to change that. I'd like to be able to play something when the leader says, ok we'll harmonise this scale, or we'll play this arp over these chords. Basically I want more!!! 

• If you want to sit, relax, keep an open mind and be entertained, and put the whole music thing into context, then I would recommend taking a look through these:

Maybe consider watching one program a day.  That gives plenty of time for your mind to weave it into associations with what you already know and feel about music.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    excellent chris, thanks.

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I'd suggest starting with key signatures - that'll explain why chords and scales get used together.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • smigeonsmigeon Frets: 283
    I found Guthrie Govan's "Creative Guitar 1" to be absolutely fantastic for getting the theory basics across. It starts from scratch and is self-contained and concise. It's an easy read and has a pleasant, humorous style.
    thanks, I will check that out. TBH, I kinda assume a Guthrie book's be so far above me I'd need the Hubble telescope just to see it.

• shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    A few years ago when I was taking guitar lessons I had already been playing for a number of years but had never studied music before so most theory was over my head.  He recommended me this book which is more of a general look at theory and not specifically from a guitar perspective, irrc it's the one they teach to kids!

• Guitar theory for dummies by Desi serna is brilliant as are his 2 books fretboard theory vol 1 and 2. His guitar music theory podcasts are some excellent lessons for free.
  • MistergMisterg Frets: 350
    VimFuego said:

....why is that chord made up of those strings, what notes am I playing (I've never even learnt the notes on the fretboard), what do I play that scale over that chord, what notes am I playing, what happens when the chord changes, it's all stuff like that....

....I'd like to be able to play something when the leader says, ok we'll harmonise this scale, or we'll play this arp over these chords....

On the basis of that ^^^^ I would heartily recommend Justin's PMT book - that's pretty much exactly what it explains. It's only 40-odd pages, but it is clear and succinct, and in true JS style, he leads you through things gradually. It's also (rather obviously) geared specifically to guitar.

I don't know Mead's book, but just looked at it on Amazon - do yourself a favour and get Justin's book! (Yes, I'm a fanboi, but it is a genuine recommendation). The Mead book may well be a useful reference once you've learnt the basics from Justin.

I started reading through the Mead book the other day, and as you say will be a reference when I have enough knowledge to know what I want to refer to. Guess I need something simpler. I like Sandercoe's stuff and I've got enough free lessons from him that I don't begrudge buying stuff from him.

• The Guitar Handbook (Ralph Denyer, Pan) is an easy enough intro to theory. Worth a look.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I got my knowledge from too many different sources. A friend's online download course (fast finger!?), the Music Theory AB guides, the Jazz Theory Handbook (I don't do jazz though, lol), GT magazine, etc. 
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    Justin PMT +1
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I have the MI Harmony and Theory (Pub - Hal Leonard) book which covers everything.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

I've just picked up the sandercoe book and have started working through it, will see how far that takes me and if I need to learn more in depth stuff.

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited October 2014
    I was surprised to see a very good condensation of guitar theory in this old book!

I'd seriously recommend it. In fact I have many sources for theory but I just ordered this book myself!
  • shuikit said:
    A few years ago when I was taking guitar lessons I had already been playing for a number of years but had never studied music before so most theory was over my head.  He recommended me this book which is more of a general look at theory and not specifically from a guitar perspective, irrc it's the one they teach to kids!

That was the best book for me. It helped me land a degree so it cant be all that bad!
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.