Vox AC30 - what have I been missing!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DodgeDodge Frets: 1442
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    edited January 2017 tFB Trader
    @Dodge Very nice indeed! Which sounds best??
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1132
    maybe a daft question - but why are they so heavy if they are 30 watts (suggesting a small transformer) and el84 powered which i associate with lunchbox heads ?

miserneil said:
    They both have their charm. The later one is a little tighter and feels a bit more dynamic, the earlier one is smoother and more rounded. Still close though and make a fine stereo pair.

The earlier one obviously has more mileage on the clock which could explain it. Different transformers too (still original though). 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    maybe a daft question - but why are they so heavy if they are 30 watts (suggesting a small transformer) and el84 powered which i associate with lunchbox heads ?
    Other way round... very big transformers for a 30W amp - which is one of the reasons they sound so full and powerful for the power rating - plus an unusually large choke, two heavy speakers and a pretty heavy cabinet.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    @dodge - I assume those are attenuators on the top?
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    rsvmark said:
    @dodge - I assume those are attenuators on the top?
    Yeah, they're Jettenuators. They work pretty well with AC30's to a point. Anything less than halfway is unsurprisingly pretty naff.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    miserneil said:
    The AC30! D 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited January 2017
    ICBM said:
    Other way round... very big transformers for a 30W amp - which is one of the reasons they sound so full and powerful for the power rating - plus an unusually large choke, two heavy speakers and a pretty heavy cabinet.
    But isn't the power rating a complete misnomer because its only relevant up to the point of break-up - whereas in reality it's more like double that? 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    A good AC30 is worth the weight....easily.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Voxman said:
    miserneil said:
    The AC30! D 

http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I just watched this doc recently, "Dick Denny and the Vox AC30" on youtube, quite interesting,     

I've never played through one but now I want to.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Voxman said:

But isn't the power rating a complete misnomer because its only relevant up to the point of break-up - whereas in reality it's more like double that? 
    No, an AC30 puts out 30W clean (roughly - I think 33W 'RMS' in fact) like any other properly-rated 30W amp, and more than that overdriven also like any other proper 30W amp. In fact due to the heavy compression when a Class AB cathode-biased amp is overdriven, the AC30 puts out *less* maximum distorted power than something fixed-bias like a JTM45.

The difference in transformer size has a bearing on the bandwidth when the amp is pushed hard though - bigger transformers don't narrow the tone into the midrange as much, so the result is a bigger, fuller sound when overdriven which both sounds louder and can actually produce more power. (A JTM45 also has big transformers.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    I just watched this doc recently, "Dick Denny and the Vox AC30" on youtube, quite interesting,     

I've never played through one but now I want to.
    @DulcetJones - I hadn't either. It's highly recommended particularly if you can crank it up
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024