Full, in-depth MUSIC THEORY (see post 3)

What's Hot

Comments

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited February 2014
    31. The C clef.

duration approximately - 22 minutes

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2014
    32. Tetra effect, pentatonic scale, and whole tone scale.

duration approximately - 20 minutes

edited March 2014
    33. More 20th century music topics, including: blues scale, 12 tone technique (not great detail), polychords, tone clusters, and quartal chords.

duration approximately - 27 minutes

edited March 2014
    34. More on intervals. Enharmonic changes and inverting.
    duration approximately - 27 minutes

edited March 2014
    35. Compound intervals and the process of inverting them.
    Duration approximately 14 minutes

edited March 2014
    36. Roman numerals for each chord in a major, and minor scale. Plus how we number inversions in harmonic analysis.

Duration approximately 31 minutes

Added the three videos on intervals

Now, do pay attention, because there is a test coming up in part 23 ~ ~ ~ but only if you are up for the challenge.
    It should help you consolidate what you have learned so far, if you want to do it.
    If not, then I hope you are enjoying and learning loads anyway  ~ cheers ~ Chris

edited January 2014
    I have opened two new discussions / threads

It should provide a little relief from this theory stuff, and give a bit of context.
    I think it is very relevant to current music trends, as a lot of what we think of as new, has in large part been done before.
    Having said that I am not sure music has moved on much over the last twenty or so years.
    What went wrong, where did the innovation and energy go?
    Anyway, watch and enjoy  :)

Added the video:

Next video added

and don't forget that I have opened two new discussions / threads for a bit of context.  (as in the comment two above this)

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6073
    You're building a superb resource here Chris. I hope the mods take note as having all this info linked from one thread is is a real asset (and selling point) for this site. It should be made a 'sticky' at the top of the theory section.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thank you very much for the kind remarks @equalsql, good idea too IMHO.

The spirit of this place is one of sharing, so I am pleased that so many people are visiting this thread, and I hope that you are all gaining something useful from it.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Linking useful resources and making them available and expandable long term, is a weakness in most of the limited number of forums I have visited, usually for research purposes, and then you are almost solely reliant on Google for that.  There is a lot of very useful, or just plain interesting information appearing on theFretBoard, which would be nice to find easily instead of sinking slowly out of focus, which is the issue with the "historical relevance" based forum model.

I think that apart from the loss through the "sinking" process, that a lot of discussions already on here would continue to attract new contributions as new members join in, or as somebody changes their gear portfolio, or just wants to research something that has already been covered.  Even in a day or two they can sink totally out of sight.  The only way to do that now is via site search, Google or just trailing the archives, and you really have to know that the knowledge exists to start that whole process.  I am sure there is a better way.

edited January 2014
    OK then, here is another small block of lessons, just to stop y'all getting bored over the weekend.

It really is up to you if you want to have a go at the exam one, but it is a great way of seeing "what has stuck and where you suck", so it makes a good guide as to whether it's a good idea to go back over any topics already covered.

This is laid out here to make it easy to go over anything you want, whenever you want.
    A little bit at a time, and a quick look back, is sometimes the best way to move forwards.

Good luck with the exam if you go for it, treat it as an enjoyable challenge...

Cheers,
    Chris

So, how did it go?
    I do hope you enjoyed the challenge, and that you did well too !

Remember you can always dip in and out of the videos, just for a reminder or whatever.

Now onwards and upwards, and onto the next, and because you have been so good, as a bonus, here are two videos -

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    Great effort mate, Thanks for sharing. At least deserve  a wow.
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 735
    This is absolutely great, many thanks for taking the trouble to share this. I have every intention to at least watch one lesson per day.

Have a wow too!
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • Thank you for the kind words chaps, just glad I found this and can share with you on this great forum, I hope it helps in the lifelong quest to express ourselves via that fantastic instrument we have chosen, the guitar, or whatever else we choose to play.

The wows are really deserved by Andrew Furmanczyk, who kindly made all of these free videos.

He posted this on his YouTube channel in May 2013.

I think it gives an insight into the person who made these and his reasons behind giving substantial time out of his own busy life to help others.

A very likeable and generous human being, I wish more people in this world had his attitude towards others, the world would indeed be a better place.

I wish him the very best of luck and life for the future.

There was nowhere that this fitted into the course, or any of my other posts, but I wanted to share this with you.

duration approximately - 8 minutes

• Next we have:

edited February 2014
    And now if you want to see how well you are doing, you can check your progress and see how much of this has sunk in to long term memory.  I could probably do with a refresh too.

Do remember - you can always dip into any of the videos and refresh your knowledge at any time