Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Will there be any more iconic legendary people?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• marcus449marcus449 Frets: 151
    edited December 2016
    yes, because the people decide who is iconic and people need icons

I'm sure the Roman's would agree that there'll never been someone as iconic as Marcus Aurelius
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It all happens in retrospect. There are NEVER legends around right now, whenever "right now" happens to be.

There are , I am sure, plenty of dead actors/ musicians who would be amazed at the legendary status they have ascended to but who also have plenty of tales of cancelled shows/ being dropped by their record company etc whilst they were still alive to have enjoyed it.

• Pewdiepie could become one. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Pewdiepie could become one. 
    I was going to post that exact same thing, I think a smaller portion of icons from our time will be musicians, see content matter of this:

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17669
    tFB Trader
    I think the biggest icons of the modern world are tech CEOs 

Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckerberg, Jeff Bezos etc.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11346
    Of course there will be.

It's just that they risk becoming lost in a fog of "celebrities" who are probably better known to the majority of people for things with no redeeming value whatsoever.

Cream rises to the top, but unfortunately so does hot air.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1783
    I think the biggest icons of the modern world are tech CEOs 

Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckerberg, Jeff Bezos etc.
    And 'real world Tony Stark/Iron Man' Elon Musk
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • Icons are subjective and socially constructed. They are as much a product of the society in which they are created as they are the result of individual endeavour, integrity or talent.
    Capitalism creates a greater need for  icons as they fulfil the masses increasingly desperate belief in the unlikely possibility that they can transcend the futile, mundane and inescapable circumstances in which they are trapped.
    The more probable scenario is a growing incongruence between your views of what constitutes an icon and what values those attempting to control society choose to promote.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom