Anyone like orvilles?

What's Hot
Spotted this on ebay, looks nice, I know some folks are keen on them (and it's nowt to do with me)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Orville-Les-Paul-Electric-Guitar-Made-in-Japan-/162352369956?hash=item25ccf49124:g:KvIAAOSwImRYZqGn
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Love a good plain top, looks very nice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2017
    Also, Keith Harris does.

/obligatory
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    edited January 2017
    Is it my old one (also owned by a couple of people on here) if so then it is a lovely guitar.

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/80500/sold-pending-orville-les-paul-standard#latest

If the neck was fatter I would have kept that without a doubt!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @photek don't think so
    Serial number on the back of the headstock is 703221.
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    @photek don't think so
    Serial number on the back of the headstock is 703221.
    Cool, can't get to ebay at the moment, I did see my old on on there a little while back though.
  • MotorhateMotorhate Frets: 238
    They're great in my experience. They are what Gibson should have been in terms of quality control. I owned an Orville Thunderbird, and the quality of the workmanship is superb. They're made in Japan, which with the odd exception is a byword for quality in terms of guitar build. I also had a quick bash on an Orville SG years ago which was also superb.

Bear in mind, that there's two types of Orville guitars. The "Orville by Gibson" made guitars have original US Gibson pickups. The "Orville" make, have pickups that are made in Japan (which I think have the same amount of windings as original GIbson USA pickups).
    Guitars: ESP Viper | BC Rich Mockingbird Pro X | Jackson RR5 | Washburn Custom shop Idol | Schecter C1 Stealth | Schecter Blackjack AX-7 | Washburn “Billy Club” Idol | Washburn “Nick Catanese” Idol - Amps: Peavey 5150 60w Combo | Peavey 6505 120w head | Peavey JSX 120w head | Blackstar HT-1 Combo

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ellangusellangus Frets: 250
    I had an Orville by Gibson SG ('61 style) a few years back and it was superb as good if not better than any Gibson SG 61 re-issue I've tried. regret selling it now.  Have a look at www.japanguitars.co.uk  (that's where I got mine).
    Along with many others, I got Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer. Full details about his behaviour on this and other forums can be found on this thread. If you have been Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer, let us know and even if you haven't, putting a similar message in your own signature will help us warn others.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    edited January 2017
    Motorhate said:
    Bear in mind, that there's two types of Orville guitars. The "Orville by Gibson" made guitars have original US Gibson pickups. The "Orville" make, have pickups that are made in Japan (which I think have the same amount of windings as original GIbson USA pickups).

I've got an Orville by Gibson 57 reissue gold top - ObG tend to command higher prices than the Orvilles. The differences are pickups as above (mine has 57's), nitro finish and fret nibs. Quite important details to Les sniffers!

It does have a 3 piece back still though.

I'm out of touch a bit but I think that one on eBay is overpriced...it looks very nice though. You have to weigh up whether or not another one might come up for sale a bit cheaper.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    photek said:
    Is it my old one (also owned by a couple of people on here) if so then it is a lovely guitar.

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/80500/sold-pending-orville-les-paul-standard#latest

If the neck was fatter I would have kept that without a doubt!
    That was absolutely perfect, why on earth did you sell it, and who has it now?
  • rashrash Frets: 38
    I have two Orville by Gibson Les Paul standards, both are great guitars, and totally different. One is really mid heavy, the other has loads of high end. 

All Orvilles were made in Japan. Normal Orvilles have (really good) Japanese electronics and are not nitro.

The Orville by Gibsons have a nitro finish and USA electronics. The reissues are the same but can have fatter necks and have fret edge binding. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    #I wish I could fly right up to the sky but I can't....#
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>