Pickup winding machines....

What's Hot
sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
School me.

I’ve ummmmmd are arrrrrrd for months over whether or not to get into pickups.

but running a guitar electronics business...it’s inevitable one day and something I would love to try out. 

what winding machines would you recommend?

any experience/knowledge would be great.

For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8713
    Which part of the market are you targeting? Rather than committing the time and capital it might be possible to work with one of the small UK winders.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • ClashmanClashman Frets: 176
    Couldn't you use the copper wire from old radio's or is it too thick?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16686
    I have an original copy of the lollar book on making a winder.  I wouldn’t recommend it, other than to show 1 specific way of building a DIY winder with very specific parts.

I would probably buy or make a version of  the schatten winder as a first port of call.  It’s basic but will get you into hand winding.  Then you just need to wind and test a few dozen until you start to get some consistency 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16686
    I should say, my first was done with a drill press set as slow as possible and a very crude wire guide.  I managed to make a trio of 6k strat Pickups that sounded okay.  Made a couple of humbuckers too.  Then ticked it off the list and carried on paying others to do it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    tFB Trader
    Roland said:
    Which part of the market are you targeting? Rather than committing the time and capital it might be possible to work with one of the small UK winders.
    given the competition and we are truly spoilt for choice in the UK for boutique/high end pickups, it would only be a mid-range to complement other products on the website.

With that in mind....probably a non-starter.

WezV said:
    I should say, my first was done with a drill press set as slow as possible and a very crude wire guide.  I managed to make a trio of 6k strat Pickups that sounded okay.  Made a couple of humbuckers too.  Then ticked it off the list and carried on paying others to do it
    drill press: love it. I watched a video last night on converting a sewing machine into a coil winding machine which has given me the bug.

I agree though - for the moment probably best to leave the pros to it.

• m_cm_c Frets: 1241
    Have a search for coil winder.
    A basic one wouldn't be that hard to make. Personally for something basic, I'd make a holding jig that fits directly onto a stepper motor, use a cheap stepper driver controlled via an Arduino for speed control (Arduino means you can use a potentiometer for speed control without much effort), add an LCD for rotation counting, and through in a bit coding.

Other option would be a small DC motor (would likely have to be a geared motor to get sensible RPM), a basic PWM controller, and potentiometer. Simpler on the electric side, but you could add a basic pulse counter to get the number of turns.
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    I have a cnc one but it's a dear do.

• sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    tFB Trader
    I have a cnc one but it's a dear do.

is that this beast?